PDA

View Full Version : Winter

spiritbird
10-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Do you do anything special to keep your bird happy and healthy in the winter? I tend to watch the thermostat more and give a little longer time under the lights. Also baths which the parakeets have not mastered yet so they get gently squirted.

Turquoise
10-15-2013, 08:07 AM
I don't do anything special for mine. But then I don't have nearly as much cold weather to worry about as many of you do.

My flock seem to take the seasons in stride & don't really act any different. Now mine are not mature & that attitude may change drastically as each one becomes a full adult bird. Then I may need to tweak their seasons a bit to accommodate the changes in their psyche.

Honesty
10-15-2013, 01:21 PM
The only thing I do different in the winter is put on the full spectrum lighting for a few hours each day. I normally shower Codie every other day which he loves:)

Blancaej
10-19-2013, 02:30 PM
We have pretty cold winters up here in Vermont! One thing I am doing in the new bird room is putting up fleece curtains to keep the cold air out and the warm air in. I think this will help tremendously on those really windy blistery days. We get a lot of wind on the side of the house they are on now. On the nice sunny days, I can pull back the curtains and let the sun shine in for them to enjoy!

spiritbird
10-19-2013, 04:27 PM
That is a good idea on the curtains. Do you have shutters on the windows too?

Blancaej
10-19-2013, 04:37 PM
No, no shutters. We have an old house and had all new windows put in 10 years ago. Plus we did some extra cocking when we moved the birds in to make sure no air was getting in through the windows.