PDA

View Full Version : Parrots live for!!

Honesty
10-14-2013, 08:50 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
10-14-2013, 10:41 PM
I really like this one. You seem to find the best of the best!!

Turquoise
10-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Very nice. I knew they lived a long time & will outlive me, but when I was really young I could not afford them. Call me selfish for getting birds who will outlive me & keeping them imprisoned in enclosures in my home. It is what makes me happy & that in itself is quite selfish of me. :dispirited:

Honesty
10-15-2013, 01:31 PM
I have a feeling our birds will outlive most of us:( I know Codie will be well cared for by Daniel or Tiegan though:)

Rescued
10-15-2013, 01:53 PM
This is why I chose to adopt. I have one fairly young bird who is a rehome, he is 4, but the others are in their 20+ years. I am also fairly young so assuming that they will always be with me they hopefully have a good 50+ years with me. I also encourage older people to adopt older dogs that may be less energetic, quieter, and don't have a 15+ life span. I read a craigslist ad yesterday that is for a 3yo GW, it says that the owner is getting too old to care for it.......What has changed in the last 2.5 years???

Honesty
10-15-2013, 05:08 PM
I think as long as you have Children that are willing to take them over, as I have, then it is ok to go for a younger bird!

ShellyBorg
10-15-2013, 05:39 PM
I have plans for my birds. Family members have been talked to and future homes have been lined up in case of accident. I am 40 and truly hope to see my birds around for the next 50 years.

plax
10-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Very nice. I knew they lived a long time & will outlive me, but when I was really young I could not afford them. Call me selfish for getting birds who will outlive me & keeping them imprisoned in enclosures in my home. It is what makes me happy & that in itself is quite selfish of me. :dispirited:This is one thing that has long concerned me about my bird situation. None of my family members are interested in my birds. It's a seriously frightening reality. Jack and Maynard are well over 30, and Zaf is 24. Salsa is 5, and I'm in my 50s. Not a pleasant picture :'(

De'Andrea: Philosophically speaking, everything everyone intentionally does is selfishly motivated. This includes acts of generosity, good deeds, etc. If not for the expectation of a payoff in some form (a payoff can simply be a pleasant feeling which one derives from helping a person or an animal, or a reduction/elimination of one's anxiety from doing the same), there would be no motivation to perform an action. But as we all know, there are those who do not derive pleasurable feelings from helping others. Those are the sociopaths; they are selfishly motivated to attain other ends. Having said that, it's the type of actions that give us our good feelings that determines how kind we are to others. So yes, everyone is selfishly motivated... but everyone certainly does not have compassion :(. In my view, it's okay to be selfishly motivated when the sought after 'selfish payoff' is a warm feeling from making someone's life better :)

ShellyBorg
10-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Plax, You can send your flock my way! You will still be around for a good bit and by that time I will have the full bird room and paid help to keep all the cages and fids vary happy!

Rescued
10-15-2013, 07:09 PM
That is what is nice about having things like this forum, We expand our pool of potential homes if one is needed for whatever reason. We get to know and bond with like minded individuals that can help in similar situations. Plax, I am sure that there are people who would be willing to take on your guys, me included should you need to make that tough decision.

Mare
10-16-2013, 03:12 AM
Any takers for mine? Just kidding, I wouldn't do that to you guys :th_biggrin::th_hehe:
All kidding aside, I'm pretty sure I have some takers with my kids. Amigo loves my daughter and Sassy loves the boys. Chip is everyone's all time favorite so I think they will be fighting over him!

ShellyBorg
10-16-2013, 03:47 AM
I would take any of yours on Mare! I live on 5 acres of oaks so Amigo would fit right in here!

Blancaej
10-19-2013, 02:22 PM
I have a plan as well for my birdie buddies. Family & friends are willing to take them. Tony - There are many of us who would be willing to adopt your birds if something happened to you. :)

Coqui will be my youngest bird at 10 years old and I am 44. Luckily for me my husban's best friend was willing to have them willed to him if my daughter is not of age. I feel fortunate that I could come up with a good game plan!