PDA

View Full Version : Are we really different?

Mare
10-10-2013, 02:58 AM
Are we different than the rest of you, really? I hear about cockatoos being more intense. Those of you that have more than cockatoos,, what would you say? I'm curious, I'm curious to know what you think!

Honesty
10-10-2013, 07:55 AM
I used to have a Galah Cockatoo and yes I would say she was quite a bit different from Codie. I found I had to watch her all the time. She was so fast and could demolish something within minutes. Her favourite thing used to be running on the floor with a stick in her beak, which she would bash from side to side on the floor. Codie is quite happy to play on his stand with all his toys, but Rosie was never happy to do this, she just wanted to demolish things in the house. LOL. I would say that she was much less aggressive than Codie and not as loud. Codie will attack if he is in a bad mood, whereas Rosie did not do this. Do you find Sassy to be very fast? I know Goffins are the same size and temperament as a Galah!

Pinkbirdy
10-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Mare ,If you get any other species other than a Too [I bet your going to think wow these guys are easy!!!.)

Mare
10-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Yes, Wendy, Sassy is very fast, I call her bouncy. Much more so than Amigo. She is super curious, all the time and acts like she is always having an adrenaline rush! She is way different from Amigo in those regards but similar in intensity of personality, they set their mind to something and it's going down, NOW! I was just curious as to how different these guys are compared to other species.

I'm sure I would LOVE macaws, they sound like a good match for me. Yes, Terri, I've gotta agree :th_biggrin:

Fawn
10-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Hey all, long time no talk!

Mare, I have to wholeheartedly agree with Pinky! :P I'm actually really glad that our first birds consisted of 2 really rambunctious and crazy 'Toos. I'm setting up for my first GW Mac, who I'm sure will be a breeze compared to those 2.

I think the most comical and sometimes very upsetting portion of 'Too ownership for me so far is the tantrums. They unpredictable, loud, and hurt like a SOB when you're not ready for it. When my Umbie gets started, forget it!! My babies are young but they're certainly not young enough to start training us :p

My grey, on the other hand, is a DREAM. Best bird ever lol I hate to say it but we play favorites and leave her out for muuuuuch longer periods. Very difficult to do with the 'Toos but we manage now.

tonkatiel
10-12-2013, 12:58 AM
The main thing I've found different with my galah compared to my other fids is that she knows how to throw a tantrum!
If she isn't the first one to get time out of her cage, if she spends 5 minutes less time out than 1 of the others does, if I dont say good morning to her first, if she doesn't get her breakfast first etc - I DEFINITELY know about it! She won't allow any form of 'nice' time, she just bites if I go near her when she's in these moods, and she SCREAMS... don't have this problem with any of the others, not sure if thats just because she is who she is or if its because shes a 'too though...

Mare
10-12-2013, 01:58 AM
Tonkatiel, this is starting to sound like a galah/Goffin's thing! Sassy insists on being the center of your world when she is out. We've discovered that if we don't respond to her screams, she'll settle down pretty quick. My U2 is so much different than my Goffin's but I guess he still has cockatoo traits and I love them for it!!

Blancaej
10-12-2013, 06:09 PM
I have no real comparison for you Mare as I have never owned a Too. My toughest nut to crack is Quincy! But I know there are good and bad in every species! But personally, from what I've read, some Too's do seem to be more intense then other species of parrots. I already have one challenging bird, so I've opted not to consider a Too as a companion for the time being. LOL!

kendrafitz
10-13-2013, 12:37 AM
I don't know much, since we only have Rosie who is a GW.

When we brought Rosie for her first vet visit I mentioned that I loved M2s but with my families asthma that was out. He said that he was glad for me that we went with a Macaw. He explained that Cockatoos aren't cuddly bc they want to be. They NEED to be front and center and getting lots of affection all the time. He said he has seen more cockatoos with plucking/emotional issues than any other species. Mainly bc they weren't getting what they needed emotionally. People lose interest, go to work, have an actual life (what's that??) and spend less time home and the birds are alone in their cages suffering. :(.

So I am guessing they are different bc of that? They need more interaction and need to be with people who understand and love them for who they are. I would think it takes a super special, giving type of person to be the parront of a happy too!

Mare
10-13-2013, 02:32 AM
I don't think I can agree that ALL cockatoos need to be front and center. I think that cockatoos need attention and even more than that they need space and things to keep them occupied. They do not have quiet minds. If you think about a bird in the wild, would it pluck it's self because it is bored?

Pinkbirdy
10-14-2013, 12:55 AM
I find that my other species seem more laid back [maybe easy going]. My Zon really taught me to pay attention to what their trying to tell us.The Toos at my house are the devils and Goof balls :)

Mare
10-22-2013, 03:32 AM
Not knowing other parrots, I can't compare. So undivided with my thoughts at this time.

Mare
10-22-2013, 04:28 AM
Cockatoos, to me, are needy but is that an unreasonable request? Don't we all need in some way? I love them, I love them for their feisty, unrelenting personalities, I love them for their bravery and bravado in situations where they should not be so brave and their "in your face" attitude. Personally, I love this:th_heart: makes my heart smile!

Fawn
10-22-2013, 03:21 PM
A cockatoo's needs run much deeper emotionally.

I was on my hands and knees scrubbing my kitchen floor yesterday (white tiles x_x) after work and there was my Goffin - right in my face screaming because she wanted a cuddle and/or dog food (really... I have to hide it, otherwise she sits next to the container screaming at me while staring down the kibble through the plastic sides). She was incredibly relentless and annoying. I managed to finish by shooing her away 34987 times.

The umbrella can be left on his tree while I clean and he stays pretty content and playing until he sees me sit down. Then he'll beeline right for me for cuddles.

Mare - your 'Toos don't do things like that? Mainly your Goffin? I can't see Amigo needing much from you emotionally since he's livin' the dream. :p You may have just gotten lucky, ya know?

Mare
10-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Oh, Yeah, Fawn! Sassy can be absolutely annoying in so many ways! Once she sets her mind to something, there is no stopping the annoying! :)

Pinkbirdy
10-23-2013, 12:53 AM
A cockatoo's needs run much deeper emotionally.

I was on my hands and knees scrubbing my kitchen floor yesterday (white tiles x_x) after work and there was my Goffin - right in my face screaming because she wanted a cuddle and/or dog food (really... I have to hide it, otherwise she sits next to the container screaming at me while staring down the kibble through the plastic sides). She was incredibly relentless and annoying. I managed to finish by shooing her away 34987 times.

The umbrella can be left on his tree while I clean and he stays pretty content and playing until he sees me sit down. Then he'll beeline right for me for cuddles.

Mare - your 'Toos don't do things like that? Mainly your Goffin? I can't see Amigo needing much from you emotionally since he's livin' the dream. :p You may have just gotten lucky, ya know?
Fawn ,I have the same issues as you do with my Goffin. I don't mind birds being loud when their happy. But pearl has this insistent demanding scream to get what he wants !!OMG I do keep trying things to figure him out. He definitely wants to "Shine" at my house . He does well when hes on a schedule. but I swear he wears a watch LOL .Don't detour from his schedule [he lets you know. As long as he gets his "your a big deal moment" Hes better . Just discovered he loves to chew up newspaper and big cardboard boxes.He has tons of toys but this keeps him busy. Im floored by all the stuff ive read on birds .That I haven't read how nuts Goffins are.

Fawn
10-24-2013, 07:58 PM
exactly!! hahaha everyone conveniently left those parts out while i was choosing my goffin :th_biggrin: amazing how smart they are. they REALLY learn how to get everything they want.

Mare
10-31-2013, 05:16 AM
These Goffin's are pretty "special" ! You've got to love them, though, for what they are :). It would be a nightmare being a part of their flock in the wild, huh? I'm going to consider myself lucky dealing with just one :th_dancing: