PDA

View Full Version : Ugh!

Debra
10-09-2013, 04:56 PM
For about a year my hands have been going numb off and on. In the last month, it's gotten to be just about every day -- even at night. Went to the dr this morning. She examined me and said I have carpal tunnel probably from my many years of driving the bus. She put me in splints and said if they aren't quite a bit better in 2 weeks we'd go to the surgeon. So, I got the splints and they felt good at first. After having them on for about an hour, I'm feeling pain where I should have felt it long ago. Ugh! I hope this passes soon. Anyone else have it and have any tips for me?

coltfire
10-09-2013, 05:04 PM
it sounds like it going to be surgery, from years of suffering from cavil tunnel , all you can do is wear the splints , a lot of deep heat, or what ever you have over there, in a heat cream,and try and keep wrist as straight as you can.

Honesty
10-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Sorry to hear this Deb.

My Daughter Tasha who lives in the USA had carpel tunnel back last year. They put her on steroids and said if this did not work she would have to have surgery. Luckily this worked for her, so she does not need to have the surgery!

spiritbird
10-09-2013, 06:06 PM
I hear the surgery is usually successful. My sister also has CT syndrome but too much arthritis in the hand and wrist for surgery. I pray yours gets better.

Mare
10-09-2013, 08:26 PM
I've never had mine diagnosed but I've had the same issues. Mine I think came from using my hands doing hair. Perms use to just kill me! Mine have settled down since backing off work. I'm a true believer in the body healing it's self by giving it a break from having to deal with other things, like putting toxins into our body, over stressing, not getting enough sleep and not eating well. I hope things work out for you Debra :)

Pinkbirdy
10-09-2013, 09:49 PM
The people ive known to have the surgery have had great luck, and not a real long recovery time.

Debra
10-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Well the splints are cumbersome and take some getting used to, but they do make me feel better. Unfortunately, I've now got a strange pain in my right hand -- I've read that usually arthritis accompanies CT and my grandmother had RA so I'm wondering if I've got a touch of it. I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks. I'm really hoping I don't have to have surgery.

Turquoise
10-10-2013, 05:09 AM
Hope your hands get better with the splints. Hope you don't have to go the surgery route. My sister had surgery on one hand, but it didn't help it. Not totally sure if all of her pain was due to Carpall Tunnel Syndrome tho. She had tremendous pain with her back along with lots of bone spurs. She had 5 neck & back surgeries I sat through in the waiting room for her to come out of in her later life. She decided not to get the other hand fixed since the first one didn't help.

I have the pain in mine and the dreaded inherited Rheumatoid Arthritis from my Grandma. So I figure it is more related to that & old age for me.

Debra
10-10-2013, 02:10 PM
The interesting thing is that they only symptom I had was my hands going numb. Since putting on the splints and stabilizing my wrists, I feel the pain I should have been feeling all along. My dr was glad that I was already on an anti-inflammatory and hydrocodone. I guess I'll know more in 2 weeks.

Blancaej
10-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your wrists Deb. I hope the splints help. Keep us posted on what you find out in 2 weeks.