PDA

View Full Version : The Great Butternut Conflict!

Blancaej
10-04-2013, 02:37 PM
So this woman called me Wednesday asking me if I could use butternuts. I guess she figured that I had a candy store and might use them in my candy, which I wouldn't. Too hard to find on a regular basis. Well I told her I have a macaw who loves butternuts but they are hard to find. She sounded like she was just looking to get rid of them. So she said she would bring them to us yesterday. Well they show up and we talked about the birds and showed pictures, as Savannah was at home yesterday. They gave us the butternuts and I asked her "Do you want me to pay you anything for the nuts?" "No, no" she says. She said she just liked to help others. So they shop for a little candy and bought $8.00 worth of malt balls. We say goodbye and she leaves. Mind you we have a Uhaul customer in the store and suddenly she comes stomping back in and yells, "I'm Shocked!!" First I thought she meant she was shocked out how great the store was, I wasn't expecting a negative outcome! Well she was apparently shocked that I did not give her the candy for free because she just brought me all these butternuts. She was rippin me a new one! For crying out loud, I offered to pay her for them and she was like no, no. I can't stand sheep in wolves clothing. If you want something in return at least be up front about it! I honestly told her that I was just in my routine and wasn't thinking about it. Which was true. I treated her like any other customer and rung her up like I usually do, wasn't even thinking about the butternuts when she checked out. I told her she was right, I would be happy to give her the candy for free. My husband handed her a $20 bill and said "Here! Do keep in mind my wife did offer to pay you." She was ranting for at least 5 minutes while we had a customer in the store. Making me look like the bad guy. I love these people who say they do things for others to help and act like the expect nothing, but really they want what they can get! Of course she says, "I feel like all I should keep is the $8." My husband told her to keep the $20.00. Do you think she kept it? She sure did! And the thing about it is, I don't even know if Savannah will eat them. She used to eat them but when we introduced her to other nuts, she won't touch them. Mind you the ones we had are really old. So hopefully she will like these. My husbands friend who owns 70 acres of forest land wants to grow butternuts, so we are going to give him half of them. At least we can help him out! Will we ask for anything, of course not!!

I would love to hear others opinion on this. Please be honest, do you think we did anything wrong??

josiesmom
10-04-2013, 02:51 PM
No, you did not do a thing wrong. You offered to pay her for them and she refused. She then proceeded to shop in your place of business which would then make her like any other paying customer. She is definitely in the wrong. Like you said, "a sheep in a wolf's clothing". She should be ashamed.

Debra
10-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Whoa! She just wanted to help you out but wanted to be paid in candy? That's crazy! Last I heard, when you give something away saying you wanted nothing in return meant just that. She should have been upfront with you about wanting candy in return.

Blancaej
10-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks ladies! I really felt like I was being attacked and made to look like the bad guy when in reality, she was the one who was way out of line! Thanks for the reassurance!

Honesty
10-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Wow! Sorry you have gone through this today:( I agree, if she had wanted candy in return, then she should have said!! She had already said she likes to help others. Some people are just plain weird :(

Blancaej
10-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Weird is right. Her attitude was totally different when she was in the store the first time. I felt like I was seeing a totally different person. Jeckle & Hyde so to speak!

plax
10-04-2013, 04:44 PM
She evidently has self-entitlement issues. I'm guessing that she went into your store expecting some kind of reward under the guise of simply doing a good deed. Her bottom line became apparent, though!

Blancaej
10-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Yeah! She made sure I knew what she wanted the second go around! Holy Cow! LOL!

spiritbird
10-04-2013, 06:16 PM
She is full of nuts and not the butter kind! The world is so full of crazy people. It is hard to tell because they could have a gun in their pocket. Oh my, I would have been very scared. Good thing your husband was there also. Bet she picked the butternuts in someoneelses garden.

Blancaej
10-04-2013, 07:10 PM
LOL! Dianne! That is so true!

I am glad my husband was there, too. I wasn't really scared, but you never know how people are sometimes!

Turquoise
10-15-2013, 05:17 AM
I agree with everyone else~~This was a setup by the woman hoping to make you feel guilty and give her free candy. I would imagine she expected to be able to get way more candy in return free than the butternuts were worth in the first place. :th_shakehead:

OK, I may sound really dumb, but what are butternuts other than squash? I only know of butternut squash sold in grocery stores around here, but I wouldn't want a lot of it or it would go bad before I could use it unless I cooked & froze it.

If it is a nut of some kind, how is it grown. On a tree, on a bush, in the ground like peanuts? Very curious as to why I can't think of what you are talking about. :th_hmmm:

Blancaej
10-19-2013, 04:12 PM
They used to be a very popular tree in Vermont. My hubbies best friend wants to try to grow more on his property. So we will give him some of the nuts. But they basically are twice the size of a walnut and a dark brown. I will take a pic if I remember. Thanks for the support by the way! I hope to never see that woman again in my entire life! LOL!

Pinkbirdy
10-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Blanca , my mind kind of exploded reading this ( Unbelievable ). Its always after the fact [You think of what you should have said] Id have said to her "What part of giving back is this? If you wanted something in return you should have said so! Don't feel bad DeAndrea [I didn't know what they were either].

Blancaej
10-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks Terri - like I said a wolf in sheeps clothing! ;)

ShellyBorg
10-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Wow, sounds like she was hit in the head while gathering her nuts. Chalk it up to the full moon.

Blancaej
10-20-2013, 11:52 PM
We actually joked about it being from the full moon! Lol!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mare
10-21-2013, 03:13 AM
People like that almost made me quit working on hair! I was doing hair for prom girls, several years ago, and I had this young girl and mother come into my shop and had several girls after them. The mother and her daughter hung out just yacking and visiting with this daughter's friends in the shop while I worked on other girls, everyone commented on how beautiful this girl's hair was and it really was. An hour after these two left, I had the mom come back to my shop. I asked if she had forgotten something? She says, no, we were very unhappy with my daughter's hair and had to take her to someone else to have it fixed! My heart just dropped. She wanted her money back. I was sick, not because of the money but because they were unhappy with my work. On her way out of the shop, one of my friend/ coworkers asked her who she took her daughter to? My friend did some investigating the next day and comes to find out they never visited this stylist.

It took me down to the point where I thought I was not doing what I should be doing. There are truly messed up people out there and you can't let them get to you. I'm glad your hubby was there to back you up, too!

plax
10-21-2013, 09:05 AM
That's terrible, Mare! Talk about rude, selfish, and inconsiderate :(

Blancaej
10-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Some people Mare! The reality is 99% of my customers are pleasant. But if I had to deal with too many of the people like the woman in my shop and the irritating mom you had Mare, I would find something else to do! LOL!

Actually, now that I think about it, when my store was a scrapbook store, during the recession, 90% of the customers complained to me in some way shape or form. Not complaints about me directly but "I spent too much", "I can't tell my husband", "I have enough supplies already", etc. I got so tired of hearing the complaining, it was bringing me down. Besides the loss of income during the recession from that business, my main second reason for closing that shop was all the complaining I had to listen to all the time. If you are going to do something for a living, be happy doing it! I shouldn't have to listen to complaint after complaint about how people are spending their money. If you don't have the money, don't need it or want it, don't buy it! End of story!

ANyway, a customer like the one in our stories is really far and few between and I am most thankful for that! :)