PDA

View Full Version : Portable heater for winter

Minamommy
09-30-2013, 08:18 PM
This winter I wanted to use a little heater in my bird room. Only overnight. We have a heat pump which heats the house unevenly. Last year she had a heated perch. My avian vet said not to use those due to the fact they can cause blistering of the feet. I found a small Polaris heater, I checked on line and they say that no "Tfal" or any other non stick substance is used. Do any of you use heaters in your bird rooms? If so what kind? I like keeping her room around 70 to 73 deg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Blancaej
09-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Hello and Welcome to the forum! I don't use a heater but generally keep my house at a minimum of 68 to 70 and that keeps them plenty warm. Good luck picking a heater!

spiritbird
09-30-2013, 09:30 PM
I know some bird people that do use heaters to fill in with. Good you are thinking about he safety of using one. The only thing I suggest is to be sure the bird or birds get lots of bathing in the winter when the heat is running. It can dry out their skin.

Honesty
09-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum :D

Another good portable heater is an oil filled radiator.

ShellyBorg
09-30-2013, 10:13 PM
I use the oil filled radiator ones. They work great.

Debra
10-01-2013, 12:23 AM
I also use the oil filled radiator one for my bird room.

ShellyBorg
10-01-2013, 12:47 AM
What I am looking for is a emergency back up heater. Looking at some of the indoor rated propane ones.

spiritbird
10-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I have one of those indoor propane heaters because we have had several power failures in winter storms. It works very nicely and warms my apartment. However, for safety reasons, you cannot run it at night when you are sleeping. My smoke alarm is also a Co2 monitor. I keep the small canisters outside. Since I purchased this we have had no more power failures. You also need to keep a window cracked a few inches.

Minamommy
10-04-2013, 01:26 AM
After much checking the Polaris heater seems the way for me to go. It has an automatic shut off if knocked over and the company says it contains no non stick substance to harm animals. It's nice to see a company concerned about this. I don't think I would run it durning the day. I think this one seems really good for at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

jules
10-04-2013, 10:17 PM
i wouldn't use the propane, as it's gas and i don't trust gas. years ago we had a calor gas heater and when the bottle was running low, it gave off fumes. tony wanted one for this winter and i said a definite no :(

in our flat we have storage heaters which cool down towards evening, so for back up we use an oil filled radiator, which gets very warm so you would only need have it on a low setting x

Minamommy
11-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Spiritbird I just purchased a cool mist vaporizer to help with winter dryness. My vet flipped out. She said they weren't good. I was only planning on running it for 2 hrs before she went to bed and cleaning it daily. That way I could still just bathe her once every two weeks. That's when she seems to like it. Do any of you guys use a vaporizer?

Debra
11-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I use an ultrasonic diffuser/humidifier with my essential oils almost daily. It runs most of the day. I use distilled water in it so it won't grow bad stuff. I also clean it every other day and don't leave water in it for more than that time.

Minamommy
11-09-2013, 02:11 AM
Oh yea distilled water is a great idea. I will definitely try that thank you.