PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS the matter with you parrot people?

Debra
09-29-2013, 10:13 PM
By Marguerite Floyd
WHAT IS the matter with you parrot people?

That's how I was thinking of starting this column, but instead I decided on something a bit more subtle. Like, "What peculiar traits do parrot owners share?"

Because, let's face it, parrot people are weird. Now don't deny it or send me indignant notes about how normal you are - you're not fooling anyone. Think about it: When a normal person brings a pet such as a dog or a cat or a goldfish into their homes, they continue to lead normal lives. They socialize with other normal people, they continue to listen to the same types of music, read the same types of books, eat the same types of foods as before. You, my parrot-afflicted friend, do not.

So how odd are you? Let's make a list!

You are a scholar of psittacinism. You scour the Internet and bookstores for research material on parrots. You join discussion groups and share in agonizing detail each tiny movement of your parrot with other parrot owners, who then share a more-than-unusual interest in everyone else's parrot's poop. In fact, poop now occupies so much of your thought and free time that you have lost interest in politics, career, and IRA earnings.
You have begun avoiding normal people, because your parrot seems to have taken a dislike to normal people. This includes your spouse. When he (or she) walks into the same room as you and your bird, there is obvious resentment at the intrusion. However, you are trying to stop reacting this way.
You eat parrot food. That is, you have taken to eating the special healthy people food you fix for your parrot. It's so much easier than separately preparing the usual junk for yourself. This is, in general, a good thing. (Just remember to avoid the birdie bread you made with Harrison's.)
You have rearranged your furniture to accommodate your bird and future birds. If you are severely afflicted, you have bought a new house especially designed for parrotly needs, including vaulted ceilings, screened-in porches and rooms with drains in the floor.
You buy only healthy and interesting pet toys that cost the equivalent of two months' salary and can be destroyed by a beak in five minutes. You ask store clerks questions such as, "Is the dye on this wooden block human grade?" and "What types of chemicals were used to treat this suede strip?" and "Where can I find your organic, preservative-free unshelled imported almonds?"
You make your own bird toys. Sometimes you do this even when you can find bird toys you like. "My toys are cheaper to make, or more interesting," you tell yourself. And then you set up an Internet store or auction site to sell your toys. You use your other talents For the Good of Parrots. You make quilted cage covers, human clothing protectors, jewelry designed to be worn by humans and chewed on by parrots, paintings of parrots, key chains engraved with the parrot's name.
Parrots are the dominant species on earth and they are simply using us to perpetuate their race and eventually take over. If you doubt that, just remember that it's the dominant creature who gets other creatures to take care of it. Think about all you do for your bird, the hours spent cleaning his cage, cleaning the floor, cleaning the food and water dishes, cleaning the bird toys, cooking food, cleaning the walls of said food, bandaging your skin from the latest nip. Then think about how you sit down exhausted and feel grateful and honored to look upon his pampered plumage and big dark eyes.

This is not normal. You'll never see a dog person made misty by the beauty of their pet slowly lifting its leg.

I say it's high time we parrot people reclaim our lives and save the human race from certain demise. Be strong - it won't be easy or done quickly, but by acting together we can thrive as a species again.

I'll be right there with you, just as soon as I finish sewing this bird cosey and taking the pellet casserole out of the oven.

Marguerite Floyd is a hospital documentation manager, but considers her real job to be bossee of two cockatiels, Sugar Franklin and Flash, and a 3 1/2-year-old brown-headed parrot named Charli.
ParrotChronicles.com. Published 2003.

Pinkbirdy
09-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Is someone spying on me ? :)

plax
09-30-2013, 12:46 AM
hahaha!

Honesty
09-30-2013, 07:47 AM
LOL. That is so funny and so true :D

Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2

kendrafitz
09-30-2013, 12:30 PM
LOVE that! Sadly, much if it so very true for me! ;)

Blancaej
09-30-2013, 12:34 PM
LOL! I loved that. We are all obsessed, but it's a good obsession! :th_biggrin:

spiritbird
09-30-2013, 01:29 PM
OK this is too good not to make a sticky from.

Rescued
09-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Much like horses, parrots are a lifestyle. There are not greater people than those who care wholeheartedly for those in their charge. We may be obsessed, but we love and care like no others.

Minamommy
09-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Omgosh I laughed so hard. It's all so true. Esp the husband part. Haha I have changed my whole life in last year. Even befriending my avian vet. Thanks so much for the laugh it was needed today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

tonkatiel
09-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Haha love it!

jules
10-04-2013, 10:58 PM
oh debra this is so funny. a girl after my own heart :th_LOL:

when i'm out shopping and looking at certain ingredients and humming and ahhh-ing over things, my sister will say 'you're thinking of jasper, aren't you?' or i'll decide not buy something as it wont be safe. i've become obsessed with things being safe, plan meals so jasper can share some of the foods and would rather stay in at night since having jasper, great isn't it? :th_hehe:

Mare
10-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Loved it and so true! My only regrets would be that I had not known of this world years ago!

ConureCrazy
10-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Oh my god. :d

jules
10-07-2013, 10:41 PM
yes same with me mare. living with parrots is the best thing ever, i wish i had known them years ago :)

Turquoise
10-10-2013, 08:02 AM
This is awesome!! Years ago when my sister next to me was still alive she told my Mom & I we were crazy. She said we would pass up an item we felt was too much money even if we needed it. Then we would go out & spend hundreds of dollars for a "damn" animal. She could never figure out why~~I loved my sister, but she just didn't get it!!

Minamommy
12-21-2013, 05:35 AM
Turquoise my sister is the same way! Every tIme I get bit by Mina it's i don't know why you would put up with that thing I'd get rid of it! I'm like THING? she is not a thing. My sister won't get it either. The joy these beauties bring us is I believe infinite.

MomtoPercy
12-21-2013, 10:07 AM
:th_pinklol2: i deny it all! it is not true! id like to stay and convince you about how wrong you are but my master...er...parrot, is calling for his lunch.

MomtoPercy
12-21-2013, 10:19 AM
:th_omg:just saw jasper parrot's swing thing in jule's sig!!! i must have one! i saw just the right rope in a shop yesterday to make it with.:awesome-smiley-emot ..

what?? There's nothing to see here! im not obsessed or something! go back about your own business please! ;)

kendrafitz
12-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Thank you for the giggle Michelle!

After listening to my kooky husband and going to the insanely busy mall to get the kids pic with Santa I needed it! :)