PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Doves

spiritbird
09-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Put up an old feeder so we (Christine, Chipper, Gypsy) can watch the birds this winter. 1296 Problem is the flock of Doves (about 15) are quite aggressive and scare others birds away. They even push eachother out of the feeder at times. There is a little feeder which is just about useless it is so low to the ground. Is there a cure for too many doves????

Mare
09-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Wow, that's a tough one. I know that when I have Amigo outside and his food is in his cage, the small birds in the area are all over it, unless he's in there. What I've discovered is, if they know there is a source of food they will take every opportunity to snatch it. My thought would be to put some sort of fencing around the platform, large enough to allow the small birds entry but small enough to keep out the doves.

spiritbird
09-28-2013, 09:56 PM
That is a good idea Mare but then the woodpeckers and the jays would stay away. The more into winter it gets the more variety of bird we have. I really love to watch the gorgeous flicker woodpecker. Guess if I am going to feed the birds the Doves will get fed also. Nothing against Doves except they seem to gorge on the seed mix.

Mare
09-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Our wild turkeys are now waiting outside, off the deck, for someone to head out to feed the horses! They trot along side us waiting for their grain ration,,yikes! Yep, sounds like you are going to be investing in bird feed! ;)

Debra
09-28-2013, 10:21 PM
My doves eat off the ground and leave the seed in the feeders to the smaller birds. I've not had a problem between doves and other birds. Even my squirrels can come up to their feeders and the birds don't leave. Maybe I've just got brave birds?

spiritbird
09-28-2013, 10:38 PM
The doves that are not welcomed by other doves in the platform feeder are on the ground where they should be feeding. There is one large dove that is the boss, guess it is a male because of the size. The doves do not bother the small birds, just chow down on the feed.

Blancaej
09-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Sounds like you have a nice assortment of birds to enjoy during the winter months. Good luck figuring that out!

ShellyBorg
09-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Maybe set up a second ground feeder location?

spiritbird
09-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Excellent idea Shelly. I could not set up a deer feeder because they have extensive deer fencing here to keep them away from the gardens but I see them in the back anyway. I will consider your idea for sure.

Mayden
09-30-2013, 04:27 PM
I would have suggested another feeder too, many less dove drama on that one then so more birds can wiggle in. + scatter some seed on the ground. Some birds prefer to 'forage' for it anyway. :)

spiritbird
09-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Thank you Cat. I did the seed scatter on the ground today. The reason I have the platform feeder is because my financial situation is very tight and this one was not being used so the maintenance man kindly moved it for me.