PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

mhuyton
09-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Just about to enter the world of parrots, a friend of mine purchased a African Grey around 6 months ago, she's lovely, but due to work commitments can't be given the time she needs. I have decided to give her a new living home, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Honesty
09-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Hello and :pp_welcome:Thank you for joining us.

Congrats on your soon to be new addition :)

We would be happy to give you advice. Just ask away!

plax
09-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Greetings, mhuyton... thanks for joining our community! We have a number of members with Greys. I'm sure they would be happy to answer all of your questions and offer suggestions.

Blancaej
09-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Hello and Welcome! How exciting that you are adopting a grey! They are great birds! We have a little character at home! LOL! Let us know if you have specific questions.

spiritbird
09-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Hello and welcome. I had a Timneh Grey grace my life for several years. They are truly a joy. The first thing I did was to learn as much as I could about them, their social needs, health needs, nutritional needs and safety needs. I purchased several books and, joined forums. There is a wonderful book called Parrots for Dummies that will give you a general idea of the basics in the parrot world. I still use it for references. To begin with I would show her different things and rooms around the house every day. I put nothing new directly in her cage at first until she was used to seeing the item near her. There are many web pages about their care. I used to print out pages that were important and made up a binder for reference. Nutrition is also very important to learn about as the greys have a higher need for calcium in their diet than other parrots. Best if you can line up an avian vet just in case and know there should be wellness exams each year. They like a good bath either in a shower, bowl or spritz or all three. Become familiar with the toxins that lurk in your home such as non-stick cookware. I went all stainless steel. Do you have a cage yet? It should be as large as you can find. I could go on and on but will not at this time. We are here for you and any questions, concerns or situations.:th_GREY:One more thing, I would look into feeding a high quality pellet like Harrisons High Potency. They really do help meet the calcium needs and also full spectrum lighting.

Turquoise
09-28-2013, 01:47 AM
Welcome to our flock mhuyton.:th_greet13:

How exciting on getting an African Grey soon! I look forward to seeing photos & hearing all about your new fabie.:th_biggrin:

ShellyBorg
09-28-2013, 05:11 AM
Hello, I am a grey owner also. I have had Spirit for over 10 years. They are a great parrot if you have the time, I will say that mine has done great with more quality time than quantity.

Debra
09-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Hello and welcome to our forum! Can't wait to see pics of your new baby when you get her home!