PDA

View Full Version : Conures have impressive tail feathers

buddingtwigs
04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Obviously a lot of birds have much more impressive tail feathers than conures, but somehow I find it funny on a little conure. They have so much attitude in such a small body. It matches who they think they are--BIG birds!! ("who do you think you are, flashing those tail feathers at me, buddy??" LOL)

Blackhawk007
04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Excellent photo! His tail feathers are about as big as my amazon's.

Wendy K.
04-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Fantastic picture of Gil, Patti! I love it!!!

You're right, Conures tail feathers ARE long...and I know how funny this may sound, but they seem to have SO many of them. :th_pinklol2: And you know what else??? I've never seen a Conure with messed up tail feathers. My Macs, OTOH, always seem to have issues with theirs. :(

buddingtwigs
04-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Gilbert still has some babyish ways (he is only 9 months old) and he will do silly things like poop and then walk through it, dragging the tail feathers through, etc. So, his do get messed up a little bit, but not really "raggedy".
But, yes, when i took this pic yesterday i kept looking at how huge he looks, and he is actually on the average to small side for blue crowns. It's just those huge tail feathers that make him look enormous.

Honesty
04-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Thats a lovely pic of Gil, Patti:) Conures do seem to have extremely long tail feathers.

roxynoodle
04-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Oh yes, Rowdy's tail feathers are longer (and IMO) the prettiest of my 3 birds.

Copper
04-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Conures have a beautiful tail like a macaws, they are cousins :)

Is it just the angle or is your blue crown HUGE. Looks like the size of a Patagonian

buddingtwigs
04-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Ha, i think he looks HUGE in this pic too. He is actually pretty average for a blue crown, but those tail feathers are huge. I have another one on my shoulder (for perspective) from yesterday.....i think it is my profile pic actually?? He looks way smaller because you can't see the tail and he is sitting differently.

Copper
04-17-2013, 10:22 PM
How old is he? Many birds get a longer tail as my age. a friend of mine has a 21 year old blue and gold with a pretty long tail, He is a massive 38" from head to tail, very large for a B & G.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

buddingtwigs
04-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Wow. Macaws are who i think of as parrots with impressive tail feathers! They need a huge cage, partly to accomodate their tails, LOL. Gilbert is only 9 months old.....which is also why i decided to harness train him even before his flight feathers have ever grown back in! He is extremely compliant and easy going about most everything right now. He had his wings clipped before i got him in September, and they haven't grown back in yet, but no better time to start harness training than as a youngster.

ConureCrazy
04-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Conures do have amazing feathers! Shame mine poop on each others! :th_wink:

Gilbert is precious! I LOVE BCCs, they're definitely a hidden gem. :) Maybe in a few years... :th_wink:

Abigal7
04-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Gilbert, is beautiful. My conure also use to poop and end up draggig her tail feathers in it (I would then wash her). They seem to have alot of tail feathers.