PDA

View Full Version : Amigo had a seizure

Mare
09-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Ok, I just wrote out all the details about this episode but I guess I was too slow so I couldn't post without having to sign in again. By this time I couldn't find what I was going to post, ugh..

Anyways, has anyone had their parrot have a seizure?

Blancaej
09-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Oh, no is he ok? I'm sorry but I've never experience that with my birds. Sending hugs your way.

My moms dog used to have seizures all through her life. She was on medication for it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mare
09-14-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm truly devastated and I know I can't dilly-dally in writing what I feel so I will just say that he will be going to the vet on Monday because I do not trust any of these emergency/not certified avian vets, at the moment.

ShellyBorg
09-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Was he outside at the time? He OK?

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

coltfire
09-14-2013, 11:50 PM
have you checked him for ticks and paralyses, im not even sure if you get them out there, but thats the first thing i would be checking for, i hope all is ok, if he has a tick he needs to go straight away.

Mare
09-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks Blanca, he is ok, now. I left yesterday with my daughter, to drop my son at San Fran airport for a 12:45am flight. We got a room and at 6:30am this morn I get a call from hubby, come home, NOW! Amigo is having epileptic fits at the bottom of his cage, this has never happened before! From Amigo's top perch to the bottom of his cage is at least five feet. I don't know if he fell asleep and fell?, that's never happened before. I called my avian vet on the four hour drive home , to be sure I could have someone there when I made the one hour drive out to them.

I was given a number for PetER and they didn't have an avian vet on staff. They gave me a number to another vet that was open on Saturdays, who had an avian vet. This office tech's advice was...monitor him and call your vet on Monday, if he has another seizure then go to emergency. To tell the truth, I think I know more about my bird than anyone else, at the moment. I'm going to keep him comfortable and am trying to get some water into him. He hasn't eaten anything and when I feel he's a bit stronger I'll syringe him, if needed. What do you think? I'm at a loss because I don't trust anyone else, right now.

Mare
09-15-2013, 12:19 AM
He has no ticks on him, Steve, I checked. He's resting, comfortably on the bed and has been napping. This is understandable for what he's been through but so NOT Amigo! My poor bubbers..he would be outside right now raising hell, but he isn't. He's resting on the bed.

ShellyBorg
09-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Will he take grapes or other really wet yummy food? That may be easier then syringe right now if he will. Keep him calm and in a darker area. Place a thick blanket on the bottom of his cage if he falls again. My prayers are with you!

Mare
09-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Thanks Shelly, he's exhausted and won't take anything. I've been dripping water into his beak with my fingers. The vet tech recommended the syringe if he's not eating by tomorrow. I'm pretty disgusted right now, at the concern of our emergency service. Amigo is standing on his two feet, toes pointing the right way, so I'm going to sleep in the same room as him to make sure no un-noticed seizures happen.

Blancaej
09-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Oh Mare, I am so sorry you and Amigo are going through this. :(

He will be in my thought and prayers. Monday seems so far away. Keep us posted.

Macaw Lover
09-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Get some Gatorade or Pedialyte, cut it 50/50 with water and give that to him. Grapes are high in sugar but if they are not grown in the US but in any South American country never feed as those countries use pesticides that are ban here in the US.

Mare
09-15-2013, 01:43 AM
He's taken a slurp of water. I'm seriously terrified. I don't want him to be sick because of me, something I've done with his diet :(. I think I feed him well, after the vet visit I will know more.

Pinkbirdy
09-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Im so sorry Mare ,I will be thinking of him .

ShellyBorg
09-15-2013, 01:48 AM
Mare you take great care of your boy! This could be so many things, many completely out of your hands. He is living a better life then 98% of the other large birds out here! Keep him calm and offer lots of love and care. Try to stay as calm as possible around him. Focus on him being happy and healthy. We are here for you, wish I could give you a hug...

Rescued
09-15-2013, 03:28 AM
Oh Mare, I really don't have anything to help. I am so sorry, we can all pray for your boy. I certainly hope this is a one off thing, if you do put him in his cage, lower his perches. I know it seems callus, but if it happens again be sure to get a video, it may help the Dr. to better understand what happened. We are all here for you and Amigo.

Honesty
09-15-2013, 07:37 AM
I am so sorry Mare. I will be thinking of both you and Amigo and you know we are all here for you! :th_hug8:

Blancaej
09-15-2013, 11:35 AM
How is Amigo doing this morning? No more seizures I hope! Keep us posted when you can.

coltfire
09-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Mare how is Amigo , is he ok ATM, i have an Avian vet close also its a avian college, if you can pm me what exactly what happened, ill call him in the morning and talk to him as he may have had this with the too's here, and it may help if you want.

Debra
09-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Oh, Mare! I'm so sorry to hear this! I have nothing to offer you but my prayers and you are definitely getting those. How is our Amigo this morning? Any better? Were you able to get some food into him?

spiritbird
09-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Amigo is your love and I do understand how you must be feeling. There can be many reasons for seizures. Was his blood checked recently for calcium level? Sending hugs to you and Amigo. :courage:

jacksmom
09-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Yikes, Mare!!! :eek:

We will definitely be praying for him!

Mare
09-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone. I slept in Amigos room last night. I had a blanket folded up and a soft towel on the floor of his cage for him. I heard him moving around a bit in the middle of the night so I got up to give him some water. As of this morning he still hadn't eaten or drank anything on his own. I started with more water, from a syringe, then I cooked him some oatmeal. I put the oatmeal, some ground up pellets and a little banana in the blender with a little water. I got about a tablespoon down him, with a syringe.

He's still very weak and is staying quiet. He has had a few poops, this makes me happy :). His grip is very weak on his right foot so I'm afraid to perch him. He's alert when he isn't dozing. My son called this morning to check on Amigo and was telling me, again, how he is really surprised that Amigo didn't die yesterday. He was there when he was having his seizure and he said it went on for literally hours! I'm sure he is exhausted. Anyways, thank you for your concern, I'll be feeding and watering him every few hours and have him to his vet first thing tomorrow.

Steve, thanks for your offer but Amigo's avian vet is very good and I trust her. I'll let you know how it goes.

ShellyBorg
09-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Thank you for the update Mare.

spiritbird
09-15-2013, 05:52 PM
I am praying for him and hope the day passes quickly for you both. Good to hear you trust your vet.

Honesty
09-15-2013, 09:13 PM
We will be thinking of you tomorrow Mare and so hoping for some good news when you get back!

Blancaej
09-15-2013, 10:05 PM
I will be thinking of you tomorrow. You Will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

plax
09-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Hey Mare... I completely missed your thread since I haven't been following things on here well due to Zaf's situation and his care requirements. I sincerely apologize for missing this until now.

Zaf had a seizure a couple of years ago. And Maynard had a stroke some time before that. Zaf's seizure was not a convulsive, jerking type... with his, he went into a trans-like state and lost his balance. Fortunately I was near him and noticed him wobbling and about to fall off of his perch. I rushed to him and embraced him. He couldn't grip my arm and appeared to be virtually frozen with a vacant gazing expression on his face. I suppose it lasted for about 45 seconds and then he slowly seemed to become responsive again and to move his head and feet a bit. Not long after that he was normally himself again.

I called the clinic and made an appointment for Zaf, and as well personally spoke with my vet on the phone about Zaf and the details of the event. Since Zaf appeared to re-stabilize to his normal behavior, and because my vet told me that there would likely be no way to determine the reason for his seizure, I cancelled his vet appointment. In Zaf's case, I viewed a vet visit as a whole lot of stress for him with a likelihood of no diagnostic benefit. From your description, though, I think Amigo's case is vastly different. I would definitely get him in to your vet ASAP!

Now with Maynard's stroke, he could no longer stand or hold food in his foot (or climb, obviously) for many months afterwards. I made his cage into a hospital facility for him by removing the grate and installing his perches at floor level. He rapidly lost 100+ grams and wouldn't eat or drink much at all during the first week. He then began taking barely enough food to survive and greater amounts of water. Within the following 6 months there were times that Maynard would again refuse food and drop way down on weight. He'd thus ruin progress on the small amounts of weight that he'd recovered. Fortunately I was able to get him on track with food again each of those times, usually within a week or two.

Maynard's will was so strong as far as re-learning to use his feet to hold food and climb that he persisted to try over and over and ultimately re-wired himself neurologically. He's currently able to do most of the things that he could do before his stroke, with the exception of flying. He was an ace flyer but for whatever reason he has had no interest in attempting flight since his stroke.

So, those are my two somewhat similar experiences with my birds. I'm not saying that I believe Amigo may have suffered a stroke, and I certainly hope that he has not! But his weak grip on the right side and some of his other symptoms which you've described seem at least somewhat consistent with Maynard's stroke experience... so it made me think it should at least be something to try and rule out. I'm sure there are other things that could account for those symptoms as well.

Anyway, Mare, I'm so terribly sorry about Amigo. I know how much you love him and I can easily relate to what you must be feeling :'(. Perhaps the vet will identify the causation and it will all turn out with a fully recovered Amigo flying around your property and playing in your trees again very soon! You and Amigo have my sincerely hopeful thoughts and my support. Please keep us posted.

coltfire
09-16-2013, 02:43 AM
Mare please do keep us updated,i glad you have a good Avian vet, i was not saying any thing bad about your vet i was just offering as our vets deal with too's every day that's all, i pray all works out well for Amigo, you are both in my thought and prays.

Mare
09-16-2013, 04:11 AM
From what my husband and son have told me about Amigo's episode and from how he is very weak legged on his right side, I too, Tony, am thinking it may have been a stroke, do strokes also include seizures? I've had him on the bed, in his room all day and he has mostly rested. I've given him water and oatmeal mash a few times today. He would stumble over to the edge of the bed to poop. His right foot wasn't working well, at all. He was having a hard time getting his toes out in front of his foot and half the time was walking with his toes tucked under his foot :(. Late this afternoon, I was in the kitchen, I could hear him climbing his cage, went into the room and he had drug himself up to the top of the cage door. He tried to turn around and was having a hard time settling his right foot correctly in order to get a grip. I stood by and let him work his way back into his cage. He went right to his water and drank quite a bit. To reach his food, he had to move down the perch, this was hard to watch. It took several tries for him to position his foot, I wanted to cry. He was determined though and ate a few bites of food, on his own. He then worked his way over to his sleep perch, which is rope, and settled in. I set up a pillow covered with a sheet, covered with newspaper, under his perch and have a dim light on for him. I'm going to sleep with him again tonight to make sure he has no unnoticed mishaps through the night.

I'll let you know what the vet says. For all I know he could have broken his leg in the fall. I've moved it around felt it all over and he doesn't show any sign of it being painful. I'm sure the vet will want an X-ray. Talk at you tomorrow, good night.

ShellyBorg
09-16-2013, 04:16 AM
Good night Mare. Healing thoughts heading to Amigo.

plax
09-16-2013, 04:57 AM
Mare: I'm glad to hear that he's eating and drinking on his own to a point. You're right... it could be an injured leg or foot from the fall and/or from his thrashing during the seizure-like activity. Grand mal seizures for prolonged periods can result in neural damage and thus in motor impairments. But strokes can also present as seizure-like episodes. Your vet will have to determine what happened to him and what is likely in terms of his recovery. It may or may not be something that Amigo can fully recover from.

Best hopes to both of you! I'm very curious and concerned to hear what the vet determines.

Debra
09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
I know it's early there, but please let us know what the vet says. We all are concerned about our little Amigo.

Honesty
09-16-2013, 03:00 PM
I keep checking too to see if there is any news!

ShellyBorg
09-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Its 8am here on the west coast, we have a while to wait. :(

kendrafitz
09-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Mare, I am so sorry to read about Amigo. I haven't been on much and just came across this thread. I am sending you all good thoughts and hugs. I am hoping your vet visit went well today. I love to read Amigo stories and am looking forward to reading many more once he recovers.

Mare
09-16-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm back from the vet and I really appreciate everyone's concern and prayers for Amigo :th_heart: I slept in his room last night and he was pretty quiet till around 2:00am. I allowed him to sleep in his favorite place to sleep, his bedtime perch which is high above his cage floor but with a pillow underneath, I decided to let him be in his comfort zone. Only one issue last night when he thought he was going to move to another perch and ended up-side down hanging by one leg, wings flapping. i jumped up and helped him to center himself. my heart is breaking while writing this.

He was a good little traveler in his cage, no perching involved. His vet, Dr. Hill is her name, asked all the questions. His weight is good, 642grms., so she was happy about that but when she got to his leg she instantly says, " oh no, we have neurological damage". She is going to do all the tests on him, including radiology, he will be there somewhere between 2-4 days, depending on the test results. Honestly,,, I'm praying for a broken leg, as hard as that is to say, I can't imagine Amigo being handicapped for the rest of his life, I'm sorry, I've got to go, can't see through my tears right now.

ShellyBorg
09-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Mare I am crying with you. We all need to hope for the best. Poor guy, huge hugs for you......

plax
09-17-2013, 12:35 AM
I'm so very sorry for what may lie ahead, Mare. As you know, I've gone through a similar situation. Not with a bird that has Amigo's history, but Maynard's experience still crushed my heart - I'd had him for almost 30 years when it happened. And I fear that Zaf now has a permanently paralyzed foot resulting from his recent accident. So I can relate to how you must feel. Sometimes life is absolutely unfair!

One suggestion... before you conclude that Amigo's life (as he knew it) is no more, please wait for the test results and your vet's assessment! Amigo's prognosis might not turn out as poorly as you're suspecting it may. Some neurologic damage can fix itself. Maynard wasn't able to even stand without falling over for a few months after his event. Whereas currently he's a very active, climbing and energetic parrot. He hangs from his feet and beats up toys, etc. all the time. There's still a chance that Amigo could make a virtually full recovery. What happened to him may, or may not have affected his flight abilities. Please don't feel so certain about what's ahead for your beautiful boy just yet!

Huge hugs and good energy to you and Amigo from all of us... please let us know when you learn more.

Blancaej
09-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Oh Mare, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Amigo. I am hoping for he best for Amigo. Try to stay positive, we are here if you need us. Sending many hugs your way.

Mare
09-17-2013, 02:30 AM
Tony I know you can relate and I know you can understand how devastating the feeling is. It's still hard, though. I appreciate all the kind words of encouragement, from everyone. I'm going to take my own advice, to you, Tony, and think positively. Amigo, by all rights, should have died in that hours long seizure. Being the strong bird that he is, kept him alive. Then my mind jumps to,,if he is so strong, why the seizure?

Ok, I'm exhausted, I'm going to shut down for awhile.

Mare
09-17-2013, 03:55 AM
Tony, I apologize, what you've been through with your birds is something no one would wish for. I'm happy that they have you to keep them being the best that they can be. When something devastating happens in "my life", anyways, I tend to withdraw and may seem offensive. Amigo is a huge part of my life so, please try and bear with me, thanks

plax
09-17-2013, 04:08 AM
Hey Mare... don't give it another thought. What you wrote didn't offend me at all. I understand the hurt, the fear, and the frustration you're experiencing. I'm sure we all do. And I know that each of us hopes the very best for Amigo! There's no doubt that you will do your very best for him. If you can get some rest it might help you cope a bit better.

Turquoise
09-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Mare, I am so sorry to hear about Amigo and your ordeal you are going through. I am very glad to hear that Amigo is a trooper and determined to get through this with your loving help & touch. My heart goes out to both of you. :th_hug8:

There is no doubt in my mind that if you had never allowed Amigo to be the free spirit he is that he could not have recovered from the initial seizure. His exercising daily with his flights has made him stronger than any of our birds and his will to live and be with you, plus his love for you is what motivates him to work hard to be back to his old self. Now with the help of your vet and your dedicated nursing him, he will get through this.

I apologize for coming to this so late. My in-service started yesterday and I have no internet time right now. I should be in bed as I write, but being a night shift person makes it hard to sleep. Wendy sent me a message & told me about Amigo's seizure. I just had to come give you & Amigo a big hug and moral support. I have never had a bird go through this before, so I have no experience to draw on with any help for you two.

Honesty
09-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Mare, I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Amigo right now! Please try and stay positive. Amigo is a strong bird and you may find he will make a full recovery. Sending hugs to you :th_hug8:We are all here for you!

tonkatiel
09-17-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm so sorry Mare, I'm in tears just reading about what you and Amigo have been through in the last few days!
I'll be keeping Amigo in my thoughts and praying for a full and fast recovery for him!! Huge hugs! xx

Rescued
09-17-2013, 04:02 PM
I know that you are filled with sorrow and worry, we are all here for you and Amigo. Please don't feel that you have to do this alone. If you get a chance to see Amigo, give him a hug and a kiss for me.

Mare
09-17-2013, 06:10 PM
I want to thank you all for your kind support. I just got a call from Amigo's dr. She is very concerned, his white blood cell count is severely elevated, 35-37000. She wanted permission to test for aspergillosis, TB and clamidia. I gave her the go ahead. His liver enzymes are elevated, he has no parasites and his weight is good. I asked her if she thought his leg was broken and she said no, it is severely sprained, he must have got it caught on something during his seizure. He is on pain meds and is stepping up for her. They are having to tube feed him as he has no appetite and won't eat on his own, his stools look good.
She wants to keep him at least two more days. I feel he is in good hands so I can breathe a little easier. I sure do miss that boy when I'm outside doing my chores. I just miss him, period :)

Honesty
09-17-2013, 06:47 PM
I am keeping my fingers crossed that all the test results are clear. Amigo will be home before you know it!

plax
09-17-2013, 07:38 PM
So, Mare, from what you say it sounds like Amigo has no neurologic damage associated with his lame foot, but merely a sprain. It appears that an infection of some sort is now the main concern. Although infection is nothing to take lightly, in this case it appears a far more favorable result than what otherwise might have been. Many infections can be successfully treated, and Amigo is at the right place to get the best treatment possible. So, yes, you can breathe easier! I'm truly relieved the news wasn't far worse. Odds are that your boy's infection will be controlled and cured, and that he will heal and be fine. I'm so hoping that's how things will turn out!

spiritbird
09-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Mare We all know Amigo is your soul mate and feathered love. Your bond with him is very strong so please keep writing his story no matter how this ends. Praying every day for his recovery. He has become part of my life and others also.

ShellyBorg
09-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Seizure with infections are common in young children. I can see it being the reason in a parrot also. My daughter had it at 3 with a urinary infection we had no clue she had until she had a seizure. Fingers are crossed this will be something antibiotics can take care of!

Debra
09-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Still praying for little Amigo here. Please keep us updated as you receive updates.

Blancaej
09-18-2013, 12:11 AM
I am still have both you and Amigo in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like he is in good hands. I know this must be so very hard for you. Hopefully you will have answers soon and he will recover fully from this. I will be anxiously awaiting your updates. Sending hugs to both you and Amigo.

Pinkbirdy
09-18-2013, 02:00 AM
Mare Im so sorry . I know how close this bond you have with him must be. If it is a infection he is in the best place he can be. He has the best life of all are birds . I sure he will have the strength and the will to get better. I know we will see the other side of this . Take care.

Mare
09-18-2013, 04:47 AM
Thank you, I'm feeling good about things, so far. I'm happy his doctor doesn't think it was a stroke, a sprain would definitely be nicer. I'm wondering if he had a seizure due to infection, does this mean he will be prone to more seizures? That is a question I have for his doctor. My husband and I just drove back from having dinner with friends and he says, on the drive home, "I sure hope Amigo gets back to being his mean old self, this is what I wish for", I couldn't help but smile :)

Amigo isn't our only injured bird around here, how is Zaffers doing?

ShellyBorg
09-18-2013, 05:03 AM
In children the seizure is caused by a sudden spike in temperature, leaving the child with no further risk of seizure. Everything I have been reading says that infection can cause a seizure in a bird. Fingers are crossed this is what it is!

plax
09-18-2013, 05:28 AM
Hi Mare... thanks for thinking about Zaf :). He's right beside me and he's okay, except for his paralyzed foot :(. It's still as limp as a partially cooked noodle. He has to drag it when he walks or climbs up the pillows and cushions. The skin on his toes does feel pain and temperature, though. It's the movement neurons which would normally control his foot muscles that are not communicating for whatever reason. I'm still hoping that this may be from some swelling in his cast that's squeezing a nerve. He's such a great and sweet bird. He just has to recover!

It really sounds like you're on the right track with Amigo :D

Debra
09-18-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm glad to hear the update on Zaf, Tony. I was just going to ask myself.

Mare -- looks like things are looking up for Amigo. I'm praying that he will be strong and win this war with the infection.

Mare
09-18-2013, 06:09 PM
I heard from the vet's office and Amigo is responding well to the antibiotics. I spoke with a tech, the vet will call me later and she says he looks so much better than he did yesterday. Until final test results come back, they can't say for sure what is causing the high WBC count. He is still just kind of picking at his food and the doc is having to tube him. She would like to keep him until his appetite is back, hopefully by tomorrow, possibly Friday. I'm going to ask her about vaccines available for diseases like aspergillosis and TB. I've read up on aspergillosis and with him being outside so much, his chances of contacting this are much higher.

plax
09-18-2013, 06:22 PM
That report on Amigo is so good to hear :D. Very great news!!!

What I know is that aspergillus is virtually ubiquitous in most environments. I've read that vaccines do exist for it, but that there have been no significant studies proving their effectiveness. However, it's possible that what I've read in this regard is outdated. Either way, I think your idea and question are very good, Mare.

Please let us know what the vet says!

Blancaej
09-18-2013, 07:06 PM
That is wonderful news about Amigo Mare! I am so glad he is doing better. I am sure you are anxious to get him home when he is ready! I hope you can get more answers before then!

Mare
09-18-2013, 07:29 PM
I miss him, so much! I would make the trip to go visit him but I'm afraid he would be stressed as to why I left him there, again :(. Eeeks! Blanca, what this is going to cost, I BETTER get the answer :)! I just want my healthy, happy boy back and it would be nice to know what went wrong!

Honesty
09-18-2013, 07:32 PM
This is fantastic news Mare :woohoo-dancing-bana Hopefully by tomorrow all the test results will be in. He will be back home with you before you know it :)

spiritbird
09-18-2013, 09:27 PM
We have all been rooting for him. Our prayers were heard!

Rescued
09-18-2013, 10:35 PM
I am so relieved that Amigo is doing better. I am sure you won't completely breath freely until he is back home in his tree, but I am so pleased for you.

Debra
09-19-2013, 12:11 AM
What wonderful news! He's on the road to recovery and will continue to make great strides. Did they say how his foot is doing? Is it any better?

Mare
09-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks all! Yes I think our prayers are being heard! I spoke with his vet this morning and she says he's feeling so much better, using his leg, starting to eat better but she is still tubing him. She commented on what a beautiful bird he is. I thanked her and had to agree. I asked if he was being a good boy? She says, "At this point he HATES me, from all the prodding and poking but LOVES my female techs!", Heehee, that's my boy!! She asked me to please bear with her, she wants to keep him until tomorrow, she should have most of the test results in by then. The aspergillus and DNA tests won't be in till Monday.

I'm finally sleeping well and can't wait to have him home tomorrow! :) :th_chickendance:

plax
09-19-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm so happy to hear this, Mare :D. It seems that Amigo is going to be fine! Breathe in, relax, and look forward to his return and to many more pleasant adventures with him for years to come :)

spiritbird
09-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Your heart must be so much happier and we are happy for you and Amigo also. :th_heart:

jacksmom
09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
So glad to hear it, Mare! :)

Mare
09-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Dianne, that is such a beautiful siggie!! I'm feeling so much better, thank you all so much for your kind support :). I'll let you know how it goes maņana!

Debra
09-19-2013, 11:58 PM
What wonderful news! Now I didn't know you were getting a DNA test done too. What are you going to do if he comes back a she? lol

Blancaej
09-20-2013, 12:52 AM
That is wonderful news (insert dancing banana here, don't have access on my phone! Lol!) I bet you can't wait to bring him home! :D

Honesty
09-20-2013, 07:09 AM
This is fantastic news Mare. I am so happy for you. I bet you cant wait to get Amigo home:) So, our Amigo could be a she? This happened with Codie. I was told he was a female. I decided to have him DNA tested and he was a Male :th_hehe: I then had to teach him to say "Good Boy" instead of "Good Girl" He says both now. LOL

Turquoise
09-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Glad to hear Amigo is recovering and will be coming home! :th_hug8:

Hope all goes well & he gets back to being the Amigo we all know & love through your writings & photos.:th_biggrin:

Mare
09-21-2013, 01:25 AM
Amigo's HOME!:th_biggrin: He's feeling so much better and his leg is back to 80%! He still has a ways to go but has come a long way. His doctor told me he wouldn't have lasted another 24hrs. without care. There are still tests that she is waiting on the results for but so far she's found that two out of three bacterial tests that were taken, came back positive. She gave me a copy of all the tests that were run, seven pages worth, she walked me through what was good and what wasn't but seriously, it's all Greek to me! She sent a copy of his test results to a Dr. Diver, an internationally known vet from a university in Georgia, to review his results to make sure she didn't miss anything. The radiology report is what she was most wanting him to review. She thinks that he may have dislocated his hip, either in the fall from his perch or while having the seizure, this then put pressure on nerves in his leg, hence the limp leg. After pain meds and anti-inflammatory drugs, she believes these allowed his leg to relax enough to move back to normal.

He was so happy to see me! He's been kept in an incubator and thankfully we have a 40gal. fish tank to keep him in when he isn't out with me. He can't go in his cage for a while, not till his foot is back to normal. Doc doesn't want him trying to climb. Anyways, my baby is home, feeling better. Thank you all, so much for your prayers :)

plax
09-21-2013, 02:07 AM
It's wonderful that Amigo's now home with you and on his way to recovery, Mare :). Your vet sounds like an amazing doctor! It appears that you'll be doing for Amigo exactly what I've been doing fro Zaf (providing him safe, unclimbable quarters for use while he's not with you, and LOTS of personal attention while his leg heals). I'm sure that Amigo will love the special service and attention as much as Zaf does ;)

So you're saying that two tests came back positive for infection? Which ones were they?

I'm SO happy to know that Amigo is going to be fine :D

Turquoise
09-21-2013, 04:49 AM
That's awesome Mare!! Glad your home with your Mama Amigo, you big beautiful guy!! :th_hug8:

It is so great to read that Amigo is recovering so quickly and that your vet is doing a superb job of ferreting out anything that could have caused this however minute it may be. I hope Amigo never has to go through this kind of ordeal again and I am so pleased to hear he was helped in time. The 'wonders that be' were watching out for your big fluffy white guy!!:th_biggrin:

Honesty
09-21-2013, 07:08 AM
I am so happy Amigo is home and is doing well. I am sure he is going to get lots of pampering just like Zaf :)

I am sure he is now on the road to a full recovery!

Debra
09-21-2013, 11:39 AM
What wonderful news!! I'm so glad he's feeling better and is home where he belongs.

Mare
09-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Thank you, everybody! I'm very relieved he is back and getting better. I have to give him his antibiotics 2x a day and his pain meds, once. This is an adventure in itself! I have to wrap him up, cover his eyes and sneak it in with a syringe. He gets real edgy when he sees that syringe coming towards him!

Tony, I'm sorry but I can't pinpoint the bacterias on these pages of test results. The doc said that he had been tested for three different types, two came back positive for infection and she is still waiting for results on the third. When I take him back for his check-up I'll take my copy of the results and have her circle the three.

plax
09-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Thank you, everybody! I'm very relieved he is back and getting better. I have to give him his antibiotics 2x a day and his pain meds, once. This is an adventure in itself! I have to wrap him up, cover his eyes and sneak it in with a syringe. He gets real edgy when he sees that syringe coming towards him!Zaf is quite afraid of syringes, too. I decided to give him his pain medication by putting it under a thin layer of peanut butter on a square of toast. It worked very well for about 5 days. At that point he had become tired of the peanut butter & toast ;). He's no longer on pain meds and seems to be fairly comfortable now.

Tony, I'm sorry but I can't pinpoint the bacterias on these pages of test results. The doc said that he had been tested for three different types, two came back positive for infection and she is still waiting for results on the third. When I take him back for his check-up I'll take my copy of the results and have her circle the three.That's okay, Mare. I was simply curious.

kendrafitz
09-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Yayyyy! I am so glad that Amigo is home, happy and doing better!!!

Blancaej
09-23-2013, 01:48 AM
I am so glad that Amigo is home and doing well! It sounds like his recovery is going awesome! He will be back to his old self before you know it! Yay!! :th_yah:

Mare
09-23-2013, 04:28 AM
Thank you Kendra and Blanca :) Today is the first day I've noticed leaps and bounds of improvement in Amigos health! His vigor is coming back along with the use of his leg! It seemsto have happened within hours of having to syringe feed him, this morning. He hadn't really been eating well since I brought him home on Friday and I told myself that if by this morning the same thing was going on, I was going to have to syringe feed him. He's been very quiet in his aquarium, won't poop in it but doesn't complain. After this mornings feeding and meds, within three hours he was wanting attention to the point where I had to take him out and let him strut his stuff!

It was truly amazing, I'm pretty dumbfounded! He went from being "better than before going to the vet" but not well, to practically normal! Not happy in the aquarium anymore!

spiritbird
09-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Was there ever a diagnosis?

Debra
09-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Wonderful news, Mare! I can't wait until you hear from the vet on those last two tests. Let us know what they say, please.

plax
09-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Thank you Kendra and Blanca :) Today is the first day I've noticed leaps and bounds of improvement in Amigos health! His vigor is coming back along with the use of his leg! It seemsto have happened within hours of having to syringe feed him, this morning. He hadn't really been eating well since I brought him home on Friday and I told myself that if by this morning the same thing was going on, I was going to have to syringe feed him. He's been very quiet in his aquarium, won't poop in it but doesn't complain. After this mornings feeding and meds, within three hours he was wanting attention to the point where I had to take him out and let him strut his stuff!

It was truly amazing, I'm pretty dumbfounded! He went from being "better than before going to the vet" but not well, to practically normal! Not happy in the aquarium anymore!That's excellent news, Mare! Zaf's behavior has been much the same as Amigo's. He became very depressed in his carrier home and wouldn't eat much and didn't want to poop very often. But once I freed him from there his mood and behavior made a dramatic change for the better :). Now, whenever I place him back in the carrier he'll start flapping in protest. It sounds like Amigo holds the same opinion about living in a box :(. You can't blame them!

kendrafitz
09-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Thank you for the update! I have a big smile on my face, thinking about Amigo. I am so happy to read that he is starting to feel like himself!

Mayden
09-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Been following your story Mare and I'm so relieved to hear about Amigo! You've got a tough nut there! :)

spiritbird
09-24-2013, 08:59 PM
You go Amigo. :applouse:

Blancaej
09-25-2013, 03:52 PM
That is so awesome! Go Amigo! :woohoo-dancing-bana

Mare
09-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys! Yes Amigo is a tough nut, for sure! I spoke with his vet yesterday she wanted an update and to let me know that she is still waiting on a couple of results, these test results normally take around 10 days to come back.

Amigo's foot is working well and I decided to put him back in his cage. He was SO happy to be back! He went from perch to perch, tasting everything and didn't want to come out! I let him be but had to drag him out to give him his meds. I tried to make it a fun experience while he was out and not just torture with the medicating. He's eating well and I know he wants outside but I'm going to keep him in till his next check-up with the vet. She wants to see him when his antibiotics are finished to take another white blood cell count. She heard back from Dr. Divers, he looked over the radiology report she sent him. His spleen is very enlarged, this could be due to infection and the spleen doing battle with it. He suggests she do a metal toxicity test by thoughts on the looks of the gizzard. He saw no evidence of fractures, either, so their consensus was a dislocation in the leg, pinching a nerve, causing the limp leg. She had me cut his antibiotics back to once a day because his stools were very watery. This has helped and I'll give her a call tomorrow to let her know this has helped.

I'll let you know when I know more, until then, we have an antsy bird looking forward to getting back outside!

plax
09-25-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm glad he's doing so much better, Mare. When you get that infection out of his system he should be ready to reign over his domain again - the master of all he surveys!

Has Amigo lost much weight from his terrible ordeal? Zaf has lost about 10% of his usual weight. Like Amigo, Zaf was a very active, flying bird. Since his daily activities have been drastically limited, in conjunction with the fact that he's not eating nearly as much, he'll obviously need to build up his muscles again. So I'm curious how Amigo has been doing weight and muscle wise?

Blancaej
09-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Glad to hear Amigo is enjoying being back in his own home! Hopefully all else will turn out ok with the test results. Thanks for keeping us well posted!

Mare
09-26-2013, 02:19 AM
Tony, Amigo weighed 644 grams when he went into the vet. This was after not eating hardly anything for two days prior. The vet thought his weight was good, at that time. He gained 45 grams while at the vet but she tube fed him twice a day. After I brought him home his appetite wasn't very good and I had to feed him with a syringe a few times. I don't have a scale to weigh him at home but I would guess he lost a little, the first few days. His appetite has been growing since then so I'm guessing he's ok. Amigo hasn't been laid up nearly as long as Zaf but I do notice his chest muscles are less full. I guess they can lose it pretty quickly when not being used. I have faith that our birds will be back to good as before all this happened, in no time :)

Thanks Blanca, I'm hoping the same!

plax
09-26-2013, 02:50 AM
Thanks Mare. Yes, I think both Amigo and Zaf are going to regain their prior physical states before long. It may take Zaf a while to gain back 140 grams of muscle, though. But that's okay... we have the rest of our lives to work on it :)

Debra
10-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Mare -- any news from the vet on the test results yet?

Mare
10-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Not yet, Debra. I'm calling today to make him an appt. for his check-up on Friday. I'll ask, at that time,if there is anything back yet. I need to invest in a scale so I can keep track of his weight. Some days his appetite isn't as good as others and I'd like to keep track. I'll let you know if I find out any more :)

spiritbird
10-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Amigo has such a wonderful spirit and he seems to love being a bird. Mare, you have to take some credit for that.

Mare
10-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Aww, thank you Dianne :). Amigo's spirit is strong, no doubt! I got back from the vet visit, a bit ago, she was feeling really good about his progress. She is frustrated at how long these results are taking to come back. They did some tracking on one of them and it never made to Ohio! Got lost somewhere, so, she needs to send off another sample, (no expense to me), but this means she can't take the blood for this until one week after, he is off his antibiotics. They did take a sample to check his white blood cell count and I'll hear about those results maņana.

Amigo was such a good boy at the vets, they all just love him there! Thankfully, they are all women and don't have to see his ugly side! :th_eek: ! The drive home is over an hour and once we hit the dirt drive, (2miles long), I let him out of his cage to sit on my shoulder. He LOVED it! As soon as we pulled up to the house, I opened the car door, got out and he flew to his favorite tree, happy to be home :)

Honesty
10-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Sounds like Amigo is almost back to his normal self :)

Blancaej
10-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I love to hear about how well Amigo is doing. I'm sure you will be happy to get all the tests results back and hopefully find out they are all normal. He is such a happy bird, that is quite apparent!

plax
10-05-2013, 03:56 PM
The drive home is over an hour and once we hit the dirt drive, (2miles long), I let him out of his cage to sit on my shoulder. He LOVED it! As soon as we pulled up to the house, I opened the car door, got out and he flew to his favorite tree, happy to be home :)That is so cool! :)

I'm truly glad things are looking up for Amigo, Mare!

Mare
10-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Yeah, the test results, Blanca, have been elusive. I look forward to some closure on this, for sure. Thanks Tony, Amigo has been a happy guy and loving life, once again! I hope Zaf recovers fully and is back moving those 'dino' feet around in their normal way soon!

Mare
10-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Amigo's white blood cell count has come down, by about half, from where it was and where it should be, so this means we continue the antibiotics :(. I make the sad face because he hates being dosed with his meds. I was really hoping to be able to give him a break.

Blancaej
10-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Ahhh...poor Amigo. :( I really hope he can come off of those soon. It can't be fun trying to give him his meds!

Mare
10-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Nooo, not fun at all, Blanca. I feel he is losing trust in me. He is hesitant to come near me anymore. I have to towel him to do this and he now barks at me :(

plax
10-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Amigo's white blood cell count has come down, by about half, from where it was and where it should be, so this means we continue the antibiotics :(. I make the sad face because he hates being dosed with his meds. I was really hoping to be able to give him a break.I'm sorry to hear that, Mare :(. Have you received any feedback yet as to what type of infection he has? Do you still need to go in for additional blood work?

plax
10-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Nooo, not fun at all, Blanca. I feel he is losing trust in me. He is hesitant to come near me anymore. I have to towel him to do this and he now barks at me :(That's so heartbreaking :(. Once he's healthy again and isn't forced to endure the meds procedure anymore he will gradually adapt back and decide to trust you again. But it's still a very disturbing thing :(

Mare
10-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks, Tony. Still waiting on some results and it's so frustrating because he seems to be this happy, healthy bird until I have to give him meds! Then we have a not so happy bird! When he's done with his next "14" (ugh..) days of antibiotics we will wait one week till he gets a next blood draw to finish up on the test that got lost in the mail :(.

plax
10-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks, Tony. Still waiting on some results and it's so frustrating because he seems to be this happy, healthy bird until I have to give him meds! Then we have a not so happy bird! When he's done with his next "14" (ugh..) days of antibiotics we will wait one week till he gets a next blood draw to finish up on the test that got lost in the mail :(.Well, obviously he's on a broad-spectrum antibiotic, since they don't know where his infection is or what he's infected with. It would really be nice to do a culture and learn the precise type of infection and thus determine which specific antibiotic(s) would effectively eradicate it. Sometimes the broad-spectrums will be ineffective. It's at least something to think about, as well as to discuss with your vet.

Mare
10-07-2013, 09:48 PM
When I go to pick up his next 'season' of meds, I will definitely discuss this with her. She truly is a fine avian vet and I trust her. I hope things are resolved soon, for Amigo's sake :)

spiritbird
10-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Is there anyone else that can give him the meds? They now have antibiotic injections for dogs and cats that is good for two weeks. Looks like avian medicine has not caught up with that yet. I know exactly how you feel about Amigo loosing trust in you. They just do not understand why you are doing that. I am so sorry and give you a hug.

Mare
10-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Thank you, Dianne, I sure wished I had someone else here to give him his meds! If I could afford it, I would board him at the vets so they could do it!!

kendrafitz
10-08-2013, 12:11 AM
That is frustrating! I'm sorry for you both. But really more for you b/c it makes you sad that he gets so annoyed about it. He will get over it, hopefully this will all be over very soon!

Mare
10-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Ok, I've got him inside and he is hungry! This is good! I just wish I could sneak in his antibiotic into his water or something! I'm going to have to dive in and give him his dose, I'll make it quick :)

plax
10-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Ok, I've got him inside and he is hungry! This is good! I just wish I could sneak in his antibiotic into his water or something! I'm going to have to dive in and give him his dose, I'll make it quick :)Can you do what I did with Zaf and put it between some peanut butter and a square of bread or toast? Would he eat it? Zaf did.

Mare
10-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Nope, Tony, nope, nope. Amigo is the pickiest eater, ever! He eats very healthy things but he will not eat something he is unfamiliar with for #1, and god help me, he will not eat something that has antibiotics on it!

Blancaej
10-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Oh Mare, I'm sorry this is so difficult, especially for you. I wish there was something we could all do to help. But obviously, all we can do is be supportive. I can see why you are dreading continuing the meds. My heart goes out to you. I will be praying that this ends soon for both of you. I'm sure Amigo will eventually get over it.

Mare
10-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Blanca, I'm going to buck up and quit my whining! I sure appreciate everyone's support :). I think Amigo still loves me, regardless. If I hear some good news I'll let you know!

Honesty
10-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Sorry Mare, it must be very frustrating for you. I can understand how difficult it must be for you trying to get the meds into Amigo :(

Mare
10-14-2013, 09:10 PM
The vet called me with the final test results on Amigo. He tested negative on aspergillus, TB, clamidia and several other things. Amigo has the Borna virus. I just now looked it up on line to know more about it, I learned that is the root of PDD. It makes the body attack it's own auto-immune system. If you want to know more about it, please look it up on google search. I'm a bit stunned right now. There is no cure and he will be on a medication called maloxicam for the rest of his life to slow down the disease. I have an appt. next Monday to go over more info with his doctor. I asked her if my other birds are at risk and she would like to test them for this. I asked her if I should be keeping him in so's not to expose wild birds and she thought I should let him be happy and the chance of him infecting the wild birds was very slim. Seriously bummed.

ShellyBorg
10-14-2013, 09:34 PM
:( At least they can slow it down and I am sure there is some herbals that can help keep his immune system at tip top shape.

plax
10-14-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm so terribly sorry about Amigo, Mare :'(. I know about PDD already, and I fully intend to investigate Bornavirus as well. I know you must be feeling unimaginable heartbreak over this extremely sad development. But please realize that Amigo is alive and he doesn't have PDD at this time.

I've just read some information on Avian Bornavirus, and at a glance it appears that "Bornavirus" and "Borna Disease" (which stems from the virus) are two separate states of the illness. I'm going to study it more carefully. It does appear that ABV may play a causative role in the development of PDD. But symptoms of PDD can vary from bird to bird, if I'm not mistaken. Amigo may be able to live with this! That's certainly my strong hope!

Did your vet have any ideas how Amigo may have contratced the Bornavirus?

spiritbird
10-14-2013, 10:05 PM
One of the members that is on AA and used to be here has a grey with this same thing. I can send you her name by PM if you want it. The bird has lived with this for quite a while but had to take meds. We are all praying.

Mare
10-14-2013, 11:03 PM
No, Tony, my vet didn't say but I will ask. From things I've read it's still unclear on how it is contracted. Many birds test positive but show no outward signs of being infected. I'm not sure if it's because it hadn't advanced to a certain stage? I pray for the best and now I am embracing giving meds to my boy, he' actually getting better about it :)

Thank you Dianne, I'll for sure get in touch with her :)

Pinkbirdy
10-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Mare ,my heart is heavy for you. I think Amigo has a huge zest for life and will do well. Can you try giving him a syringe of "baby formula" .Its a great way to get a ton of vitamins in him .Then give him his meds.

Mare
10-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Terri, are you speaking of baby "bird" formula? I've not thought of that, thank you. His appetite has not been what it once was and now that I think about it, neither has his energy. My husband and son, the other day, commented on how Amigo has sure mellowed out, his main purpose in life is no longer to take out the men in the territory. We all just thought that maybe he was maturing :). His weight, so far, is holding strong. I'll speak to his doc about the formula, thanks :)

plax
10-15-2013, 12:37 AM
No, Tony, my vet didn't say but I will ask. From things I've read it's still unclear on how it is contracted.Okay.

Many birds test positive but show no outward signs of being infected. I'm not sure if it's because it hadn't advanced to a certain stage?It sounds to me like there are varying degrees of symptoms from bird to bird and some seem to only carry the virus but show no signs of illness. And I read that ABV is believed to be contracted by either a bird's intimate contact with an infected animal, or by a bird's contact with infected fecal matter.

Did you read this article: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ?

I pray for the best and now I am embracing giving meds to my boy, he' actually getting better about it :)I'm very glad to hear that :)

Blancaej
10-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Blanca, I'm going to buck up and quit my whining! I sure appreciate everyone's support :). I think Amigo still loves me, regardless. If I hear some good news I'll let you know!

You are not whining at all! These things are difficult and it's always nice when you can vent to those who understand! :)

I am so sorry about Amigo's blood test results. I am really hopeful he can live a long healthy life even with this virus. Keep us posted as you learn more!

plax
10-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes, I absolutely agree with Blanca! You have not been whining, Mare! You have a very concerning situation on your hands with Amigo and you need to share your feelings, fears, and positive developments with those who understand what you're going through. After all, this is a pet bird support forum. Please don't ever think you're posting too much. It simply could never happen! We care very much about Amigo and his health!!!

spiritbird
10-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Could not have said it any better than you Tony.

Mare
10-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Thanks guys! You are all so kind and understanding :). Tomorrow morn Amigo has another appt. to check his WBC count and to get the doctors view on what we are going to be living with. I'll fill you in when we get back. He's been full of life and I'm hoping he's doing well :)

Wulfgeist
10-23-2013, 02:23 AM
Mare, when I found this thread my heart absolutely sank. Jasper was having seisures before he passed and I was afraid for you both. Your vet sounds great, I wish there was one like that near me. I'm sorry to hear of the newest development, how did the latest appointment go? Any more info from the docs? You both are in my thoughts.

plax
10-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Yes Mare... how did today's vet appointment go? What did your vet say further about Amigo and his situation?

Turquoise
10-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Mare, I have been sorta' out of the loop on this with my house guest and then being a bit sad when he left. Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with how Amigo has been doing.

I do hope the meds keep him in top form and he can go on to live a long & happy life with you. I would venture a bet that a great many of our feathered kids have this or some form since it seems to be one of the more prevalent viruses in parrots. Most of us will never know our bird has it until something triggers it like it did in Amigo with his seizure.

We are all here for you in moral support and we all feel your pain. It could very well be any one of us in the same situation and I know I would be looking for the big feathered shoulders of my flock here to lean on if it were me and one of my feathered kids. :th_hug8:

Mare
10-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Thank you guys :). The vet was very happy to report that Amigo's WBC came back PERFECT! This is good news but she says that the one read she wants to keep an eye on, is that his allergic cells are high, normal being under 200 and his were at 230. It could be something in his environment. He will be on Metacam for the rest of his life. Metacam for long periods is not good on their kidneys and liver but without it he won't do well, at all :(. I asked if his life expectancy will be lowered due to this virus and she says that avian Bornavirus studies is still fairly new, 2-3 yrs, so, hard to say at this point. I just had a thought, the Metacam might take him out before the virus does :(. For now, all is well. I appreciate everyone's support, you guys are awesome :th_heart:

Pinkbirdy
10-23-2013, 11:56 PM
That's wonderful news Mare :)This must be somewhat of a relief [Id buy a Lottery ticket :) }

plax
10-24-2013, 02:54 AM
So very glad to hear Amigo's white BC is down in the perfect range, Mare! :) Does your vet attribute this to the Metacam? And you're right, my information is that NSAIDs, like Metacam, can damage the liver and kidneys over time, as well as cause gastrointestinal problems. They say that for long-term treatment it's best to use as low a dose as possible and that bloodwork should be performed at regular intervals throughout the course of treatment to monitor organ function.

I trust that Amigo seems to be feeling a lot better, too? Sounds like very good news to me, given the circumstances! :)

Mare
10-24-2013, 03:14 AM
I believe, Tony, that the antibiotic 'ciprofloxacin' knocked out the infection. The Metacam is an anti-inflammatory drug. Amigo seems to be back to 100%! Very happy :)

Terri, I think maybe I should buy a lottery ticket! Feeling pretty lucky right now :th_biggrin:

plax
10-24-2013, 03:32 AM
I believe, Tony, that the antibiotic 'ciprofloxacin' knocked out the infection. The Metacam is an anti-inflammatory drug.Yes, that's what NSAID means ("Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug"). I guess what I'm trying to understand is why Amigo needs to be on Matacam for the rest of his life?

Amigo seems to be back to 100%! Very happy :)I'm so glad to hear this :th_biggrin:

Mare
10-24-2013, 03:37 AM
I am having one concern. We are leaving for eight days, out of the country, starting on Thanksgiving day. I spoke with his doctor about this and my Amigo not having his meds during this time. She said this is not a good thing. The person we have staying here is awesome, loves all of our animals but I could not put him through having to medicate Amigo. To board him at the vets is $50 a day. I don't know, I may have to do this but I know he would be happier here.

Mare
10-24-2013, 05:46 AM
I think I was typing at the same time as you, Tony. I'm not positive about what you are asking, I'm guessing that an anti-inflammatory keeps his system from flaring up and causing more discomfort than needed, like an aspirin for us. This virus has already taken over his neurological system and is now in his Gastrointestinal tract.

plax
10-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Mare: I'm sorry about your dilemma concerning leaving Amigo and finding a way to facilitate his medication needs during your Holiday trip. And that actually brings me back to the Metacam (maloxicam) question... what happens if he goes off of it? I understand that its presence slows down deterioration of immune systems in birds with illness such as active Avian Bornavirus. But what I haven't been able to gather from your posts is the following:

While the presence of ABV has been identified in Amigo's system, has it been confirmed as actively causing him illness? That is, was the lack of function of his foot a neurologic effect from active ABV, or was it the result of a muscle sprain? Perhaps it was a muscle sprain sustained from falling during a seizure which may have somehow stemmed from ABV? I'm just unclear as to whether Amigo has demonstrated any symptoms confirmed as from active ABV.

To me, a presence of the active illness would determine the need for a drug like Metacam, as well as the dosage, and certainly whether he should continue taking it for the remainder of his life. Obviously, this wouldn't be an issue if it weren't potentially damaging to internal organs. But I think it's an important concern because experts claim that ABV is carried by many birds in which it is not necessarily active. That is, it doesn't seem reasonable to medicate a bird if the disease is not actively causing physical damage to that bird. Or, maybe what I'm missing in Amigo's case is that his infection, which was eradicated by his antibiotic regimen -hence his diminished WBC- was the result of his immune system being compromised by the ABV? I'm only trying to get a clearer picture here. I hope you understand.

plax
10-24-2013, 05:58 AM
I think I was typing at the same time as you, Tony. I'm not positive about what you are asking, I'm guessing that an anti-inflammatory keeps his system from flaring up and causing more discomfort than needed, like an aspirin for us. This virus has already taken over his neurological system and is now in his Gastrointestinal tract.I see. Well, NSAIDs have the potential to cause gastrointestinal disease (stomach problems, ulcers, other complications) in addition to liver and kidney damage. That's why I'm concerned for Amigo being on the Metacam for his entire life. I would want to be certain that it's absolutely necessary.

spiritbird
10-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Is there any way you could get a second opinion?

Mare
10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
These are all very good questions, Tony. I'll get a call into my vet and hopefully get these questions answered. Thank you for bringing this up :). Dianne, I guess I could get a second opinion but for now I'm going to trust in this one, let's see what she says.

Blancaej
10-24-2013, 02:42 PM
I am glad his blood work came out good Mare! That is great news! I feel for you on the medication situation while you are gone. It sounds like your only option is to board poor Amigo because he has to have those meds. I hope you are able to work something out. If it isn't one thing, it's another.

Mare
10-29-2013, 12:10 AM
I spoke with Amigo's doctor today asking her a few questions about ABV and the Metacam medicine being used on him. In six months she wants to take a blood panel to check on his kidneys and liver function. Hard to know if the ABV is active without a biopsy of his guts. She feels that if I want to take Amigo off the Metacam after the winter that I should. Ok, that was easy! There is so much still not known about ABV. She said that the Metacam was also, to help with the healing of Amigo's leg.

plax
10-29-2013, 12:18 AM
I spoke with Amigo's doctor today asking her a few questions about ABV and the Metacam medicine being used on him. In six months she wants to take a blood panel to check on his kidneys and liver function. Hard to know if the ABV is active without a biopsy of his guts. She feels that if I want to take Amigo off the Metacam after the winter that I should. Ok, that was easy! There is so much still not known about ABV. She said that the Metacam was also, to help with the healing of Amigo's leg.Thanks for the report, Mare. I'm glad that you checked. And FWIW, what you've just said makes good sense to me :)

Blancaej
10-29-2013, 01:14 AM
I would say that's good news. Thanks for the update!

Mare
10-29-2013, 02:30 AM
I'm happy that Tony prodded me into asking some questions. I'm relieved to know that meds may not be a forever thing with Amigo. Thank you, Tony :)

Blancaej
10-31-2013, 01:52 AM
That's what is so great about being on a forum like this. Lots of great advice to help us a long with the care of our fids! :th_biggrin:

Mayden
11-07-2013, 02:49 PM
How is Amigo today? :)

Mare
11-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Cat, Amigo is doing great, thanks for asking! I give him his Metacam every morning after he eats breakfast and he's actually taking it quite well. I don't have to towel him or cover his eyes up, anymore, he opens his beak up and takes it like a big boy! He does expect to be cut loose soon after, though, that's his reward! He steps up, we do some huggy bugging for a while, I open up the slider window in his room and off he goes, to his favorite tree! :)

Blancaej
11-17-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm so glad to read that Amigo is taking his meds better for you. It must be so nice to see him thrive again and able to spend time outside once again!