PDA

View Full Version : Harness training the older macaw.

ShellyBorg
09-13-2013, 02:12 AM
This is more of a training diary then a "How to" If any one would like to throw in ideas please do!

Introduction to the harness head loop: As I only have two harnesses that fit Spirit and Demon I needed something to work with Paris with. I looked around and came up a small dog leash with a large loop handle. Today I worked with Paris with just her getting her treat by reaching through the handle. Shelled sunflowers seeds worked like a charm. After 10 reach throughs we stopped and gave her time to think about it. I did not push at all. She is a little leary of it, but the call of sunflower seeds was to much.

coltfire
09-13-2013, 06:17 AM
what our birds will do for sun flower seed's, i use them for all my training they work a treat.

ShellyBorg
09-13-2013, 06:28 AM
We did more loop training tonight. She will reach through the loop even if it touches her face! I was also able to lay the leash across her back with min. reaction. I cant wait to see how long this will take.

jacksmom
09-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Fabulous! Jack had very little hope for harness training...though we may try anyway...but I always suspected Paris would be much easier!

I will look for Jack's aviator today...if I can find it I will send it to you! :)

coltfire
09-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Well done She is coming along so quick.so enjoying reading about her progress

Blancaej
09-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Great job Shelly! I think the fact all the harnesses made out there must have there head go through a loop, makes it very difficult for them to get used to it. Savannah tolerates her harness but has managed to chew it apart while in the car. So I don't leave it on her in the car now. I say the one thing she does not like when putting it on is the going over her head. So I try to do it quickly and accurately the first time!

Because of the over the head thing, I don't think I will every get Quincy in his. His old one was made a little different. It came around his neck and snapped in, I didn't have to shove his head through it. I am pretty sure I haven't got rid of it, but have no idea where I put it. I'm really hesitant to even try the aviator with him, even though I took the plunge and bought him one with Savannah's. Maybe by time he is 50 I will get it on him! LOL!

Keep it up and you will have her in it in no time!

ShellyBorg
09-13-2013, 11:01 PM
I got the loop around her head not once but twice! This time I offered the treat cup so she had to reach through the loop and drop her head down to reach in the cup. I let her do it a couple times then dropped the loop around her head. She started to get upset and I just put the cup in her face so she could "jackpot feed" on treats. As soon as she was calm I reached up to pet her head then just slid the loop off with no issues. I let her get treats about 6 more times with no movement, then did it again. After this time you could see she needed time to think about what happen so I placed her back in the cage with a chunk of apple. She is happily babbling to me so I think she will be fine. I will try it again later. While we are working on this I have not been pushing step up, but I have noticed that she has been doing it more readily.

Blancaej
09-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Sounds like you are making good progress Shelly! That is awesome! :th_biggrin: