coltfire
09-12-2013, 03:17 AM
here is the next one im hand raising.

ShellyBorg
09-12-2013, 04:15 AM
Cute, but what species is it?

coltfire
09-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Budgie as to why its in the budgie forum lol, its just an Australian Budgie.

Blancaej
09-12-2013, 12:51 PM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] cute!

kendrafitz
09-12-2013, 01:35 PM
So sweet! What kind of bird?

Debra
09-12-2013, 01:57 PM
What a little cutie pie! Looks like it might be a greyish color.

Mare
09-12-2013, 02:34 PM
So cute! How do you chose the "one" you want to hand raise? Is it by personality?

coltfire
09-12-2013, 10:37 PM
So cute! How do you chose the "one" you want to hand raise? Is it by personality? it goes by how much time i have, the eckkies come first then teils then budgies, Debra you are right it will be a grey, and im hoping its a male so i can pair with the female grey

Mare
09-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Do you hand raise them for breeding purposes? I'm not trying to be weird or confrontational, at all, I'm just curious as to why you would select one baby to hand raise. My only thought would be so's you could sell it as a hand raised bird?

coltfire
09-12-2013, 11:28 PM
that's the main reason, it just makes it so much nicer to buy a hand raised bird, one you can interact with straight away, having it step up and not fly off, and most of the budgies go to kids as there first bird so i like to make it as nice for the new owner and the bird. other than that i do it because it keeps me busy, and i just love being as much a part of my birds life as i can.

Mare
09-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Ok, I can understand that :). I've always wondered how many of the birds we see for sale have actually been hand raised, probably not that many, huh?

coltfire
09-13-2013, 06:24 AM
Hard to say, because no matter how many are hand raised, if they are just put in a cage and not played with, or let out, all birds will revert back to not wanting to be handled, iv'e seen a few of my eckkie's iv'e sold, that would not let you any where near them, and all my eckkie's go out hand raised and friendly as, the people that buy them have all intentions of doing it all right but after awhile they get to busy or just get over spending them time.

tonkatiel
09-13-2013, 01:06 PM
I think thats what puts me off breeding - knowing that I have no way of knowing for sure that my babies would be looked after... Especially with the smaller birds - I've seen so many treated as nothing more than a decoration you just have to give seed to occasionally :/

Other than that reason though, I would LOVE to give breeding a go - especially with lovebirds! All the different mutations fascinates me :)

Ps. Great pics, thanks for sharing :D

coltfire
09-13-2013, 02:36 PM
i do go right into there care and what they should expect and what the bird will expect, with my eckkie's i have turned so many people away, and the smaller ones thats why i have so many
lol

spiritbird
09-13-2013, 03:43 PM
I am still working on Gypsy. After 4 months she still does not see my hands as friendly except when there is millet seed in them. I am all for hand raised parakeets which are seemingly rare.

Rescued
09-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Tonkatiel, that is why I have been unwilling to breed anything, I feel like there are so many unknowns in what would happen to them, with every animal I adopt out, they will always come back to me if there is some reason they couldn't stay with the adopter. Once someone "owns" the animal it's as if they feel like you are no longer a part of what made them who they are. I don't feel like people are bad for breeding, but I personally feel like that responsibility is too much for me. Eventually I will breed my horse, but my intention is to keep the goal for myself. Everyone has to follow their own path.

coltfire
09-14-2013, 02:14 AM
up until i lost my last phone a few years back, i had most of the people that had brought my eckkie's over the years still in touch with me,just giving me update's or just to say hi, or even to ask for advise. i always get phone numbers addresses i give mine and push the fact they can call me 24/7. and one other thing if i had the room for more cages and Aviaries, and my brother would do a swap, with each clutch as long as it work out that way i would never let one of my birds go, as to why when in Queensland, and before then my birds kept growing and growing because i never let one go, and if i didnt have a mate for what ever hatched i would go buy one, end up with close to 200 birds. then i got robbed and lost almost every one of them, but that was over 20 years ago now. security was greatly upgraded after that.and never seen one of my birds again.

Debra
09-14-2013, 12:31 PM
I was lucky on two of my babies from when I bred tiels. Their owner's situation changed after 6 or so years and she contacted me and told me about her situation and asked if I wanted them back. Of course I wanted them back. I didn't want them going from house to house. Tex and his sister (Yellow Rose) are back home to stay!

Feathers First Aviary
10-20-2013, 03:04 AM
Very cute! Hard to tell from those pictures(flash is a little bright) but looks to be a little hen :)