PDA

View Full Version : Who is ready to evacuate right now?

ShellyBorg
09-09-2013, 11:39 PM
So fire season has started in the Northern CA area. We had a 65 acre up the road yesterday. Today we have a 1500 acea and growing fire about 10 miles away. As there really is no season for natural disasters really is anyone else ready year around to get their pets out in a hurry and have at least 2 places to go?

What I have ready at all times. I have a plastic kennel for all fids with two bowls and perch screwed in side. On top is a copy of their paper work and clearly labeled with there and my names and address. All but 2 of my fids have chips( will be fixing that soon). That way if I ever have to prove ownership it is cut and dry. I keep all there food and treats in a bucket that I try to keep at least 1/2 full at all times. New food goes to the bottom still in its bag until old stuff is used up. IF I have time I have 4 wire dog crates that would be loaded as temp cages until we can get home again.

Cats have the same set ups. Paper work, bowls, no perches but they do have towel hammocks in the back of then and small litter pans. The dog is a service dog and his papers are kept with mine as he would be with me at all times.

Goats have a trailer that I can load them in. I also keep a copy of shot records in it just in case.

Me and my kids have had lots of talks and we know, we grab pets first, our stuff second IF we have time. We did this a couple of years ago just to see how long it would take to "Bug Out" We had pets, goats and must haves in the truck and ready to go in less then 10 min.

I hope no one ever needs to do this, but stuff happens, any where, at any time. So do a little planing. It will pay off if ever needed!

Blancaej
09-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Were you a girl scout?! LOL! Seriously, you've done some awesome emergency planning! Great job. Makes us all thinking about an action plan in case of an emergency. You've got me thinkin'! Thanks for that!

ShellyBorg
09-10-2013, 12:06 AM
No girl scout, just use to be a vol. fire fighter who had seen too many sad stories. Having this stuff ready to go and on hand does take up some room, but not to bad.

Blancaej
09-10-2013, 12:12 AM
It definitely is things that are easy enough to do. Thanks for getting everyone thinking about this.

coltfire
09-10-2013, 12:18 AM
well its only the 2nd week of spring here in oz, and the fires have already started, our temps so far have been 25 c (77 f) to 32c (89.6 f) what is our summer going to be like, they have predicted more than half of New South Wales will burn this summer and that's just one state , so i think an evac plane may be needed here as well.

Rescued
09-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Wow, you are organized. Here on the east coast, pretty much north enough not to get the nasty hurricanes we are luck to not have much to worry about. That being said, we have travel cages for the small guys, the truck and trailer ready for the horses and at least a few places to go if needed. We don't have nearly as much to worry about though so we are not in practice like you. I hope that all your preparedness is just that and you don't have need to evacuate.

Honesty
09-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Great thinking Shelly. You certainly are organized.

coltfire
09-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Well today our temp got to 34 c(93.2f) and now there are 63 fires burning just in my state,with a few houses lost no life ,and its only spring

ShellyBorg
09-10-2013, 02:17 PM
We are at the end of summer. There is a huge fire just south of me. So many people do not set up fire lines or clear there property of brush.

Mare
09-11-2013, 04:01 AM
We have an evacuation plan in case of fires here, also. We haven't tried or timed it though. The horses, for us would be my most concern. I think wire cutters need to be put on the list, they are out in pasture.