PDA

View Full Version : Chip flew to me!

Mare
09-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Yay! I am making baby steps with Chip as far as him being trustful of me. He isn't locked in a cage, ever, his door has always been open. He'll go in to eat and drink, I also set food on top of his cage. He mainly likes to hang out on top of Sassy's cage, he even roosts there at night.

A couple days ago I was standing in the living room and he flew to my shoulder, this is a FIRST! I felt so privileged :). I don't force myself on him, at all, because he's always been stand-offish. I was very still and talked to him softly, it only lasted about 8secs. I wouldn't dare put my hand up, I didn't want to scare him.

This morning, I was sitting on the couch eating a slice of toast and he flew to my shoulder! He was so quiet and polite, I talked to him and we sat for about 1 min.! WhooHoo! This bird is SO different from Amigo and Sassy, he's a quiet breath of fresh air :)

My kids tell me he's the best and most favorite bird, of theirs, that I have! What's THAT suppose to mean?! My poor cockatoos :(. They can't help what they are...the brutes!

coltfire
09-08-2013, 10:46 PM
so happy for you mare, they are such a great bird, with a big personality. i know how it feels when they just fly to you, i have a few keets, and one teil, in the aviary that are now starting to trust me and fly to my shoulder when im in there, i too feel privileged that they come to me,and it seems the more they come the more the others are getting closer.

ShellyBorg
09-08-2013, 10:56 PM
That is so cool!

Debra
09-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Congrats Mare! This is exciting news!

Pinkbirdy
09-08-2013, 11:46 PM
I bet its going to continue to progress ;) Neat you can have him out all the time. Pearl is such a brat towards the other birds

Mare
09-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Terri, Amigo is the bird I would not let loose around the other birds, or people, in the house. Sassy is also a brat but she tolerates Chip as long as he doesn't get closer than ten inches from her. He likes her more than she likes him!

Blancaej
09-09-2013, 12:41 AM
That is great news Mare! Giving him space seems to be working! These are all great signs that he is learning to trust you and wants to spend time with you. It always feels good, doesn't it? ;)

jacksmom
09-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Sorry for being slow/uninformed, Mare...but what kind of bird is Chip?

He sounds awesome, congratulations on all your progress! :)

coltfire
09-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Chip is a teil, that come into her life not so long ago.

Mare
09-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Thank you! This little bird has brought a lot of smiles into our home, his songs are beautiful, too! Jacksmom, my hubby and I were in southern Cal for a family reunion, end of July. My brother, who lives in South America, was sitting on the patio at my dad's house and this little cockatiel flew onto his shoulder, it came from out of nowhere! Brother was eating tortilla chips, at the time, this little guy was hungry and was begging for bites, hence the name Chip! We couldn't find the owner, my brother couldn't take him home with him, Dad didn't want him so, he made the 7hr. trip north to come live with us!

Tortilla chips are STILL his favorite :)!