PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new parrot, but.. What?

Brodie
04-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Okay so we are ready for a new parrot!
Sometime in the next few months we will own a brad new home, thank god! Which means more room! So we are planning on having a new feathered family member within the next year!
I'm sooo excited! I have been waiting for a LONG time to get a yes for this!!
So I just want some help on what parrot.. I'm so stuck.. I love them all! Haha.
We are looking for something's doin size, around Scarlets size I guess. Even something a bit bigger..
Noise doesn't bother me
Mess doesn't bother me
Diet doesn't bother me
I'm pretty easy,
So I have absolutely no idea exactly what I want! Lol
I'm aloud to get anything, so any ideas are great!
Just need someone to be excited with me so thought I would come to you guys :p haha

Wendy K.
04-17-2013, 11:56 AM
:th_bounce7::awesome-smiley-emot:th_yah:

WOW, those are some fantastic news, Brodie!!!!

Hmm...on top of my head I can think of Cockatoo, Amazon, Little Mac, Big Mac, another Eckie???

roxynoodle
04-17-2013, 12:27 PM
My advice would be to buy or adopt the one that falls in love with you and not worry about the species. I know some planning needs to go into buying a cage, although some cages are of a size and bar spacing that can accomodate a pretty broad range of birds. And you know you want a bird of similar size to your Ekkie so that would give you an idea of what things to buy for your new companion ahead of time.

Are you going the breeder route or adoption/rehome route? If the rehome route, I would just go meet birds and see what bird you click with.

I never wanted an amazon, but now have a wild caught male zon that is a wonderful companion to me :)

Brodie
04-17-2013, 12:38 PM
I was think amazon, cockatoo, or another ekkie at first a few weeks ago. But now I have completely changed my mind, I am now thinking a macaw, a mini macaw or an African grey.
It's such a hard choice..
I think I will want to bring a baby home from a breeder for this one, next one will be a rescue. But there is not many parrot rescues around our area either.

Whatever my choice, I cannot wait! I'm so excited! Adding another family member to our little family will be so exciting and wonderful!

roxynoodle
04-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Then what you might want to do is find a breeder you are happy and comfortable with and then choose a species. If you are able to travel to the breeder you could still go and meet babies.

Brodie
04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
I would want to travel for sure, I want to meet them before I take them home, I wouldn't pick one I didn't think I was right for, I'm looking for an instant kind of bond, just like I had with Scarlet on our first visit.
I think I will do that though, go see a few breeders and have a look around. If anyone could suggest a macaw or African Grey breeder around Victoria, Australia that would be great! :)

keepsmiling
04-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Macaws are awesome. Like having a little person.:th_biggrin:

buddingtwigs
04-17-2013, 02:37 PM
It is a hard decision, because there are so many awesome birds, each for their own reasons. My decision was a little easier because i did have a certain 'size limitation' (due to already having a cage perfect for a conure sized bird), and it still took time and thought and going to play with a bunch of birds (not that playing with a bunch of baby birds was difficult!!) :)
I agree you should just start finding "the right" breeder and the babies who seem like a good fit and go from there.

aliray
04-17-2013, 03:19 PM
How exciting. New home and new birdy. Yipee

gemini_84
04-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Im not biased or oartial to any particular species ;) Get an Alex Get an Alex. They are a big bird in a smaller package.

LoveMyParrots
04-18-2013, 10:53 AM
How exciting! Anther parrot!!! I'm sure Scarlet ( was about to say Audrey! Lol! ) would love anther friend! :th_ELECTUS:

What I can think of right now is galah, corellas, greater sulphur crested cockatoo, alexandrine, and the more expensive ones are amazon, mini macaw, macaw and african grey.

I don't know any breeder, but I know one pet shop that have a 1 year old blue and gold macaw, and anther one that have an adult Congo african grey.

Brodie
04-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I had an Alex, her name is Alex :)
Is my mums bird though, I have moved out of home and want something different, I do love mums Alex to bits though!
So me and dean have came to almost a decision.
Dean is certain on getting an African grey, I agree, because I love them. I always have wanted one and always planned on having one, but right now, I'm ready for my Macaw. Ever since I was a little kid I have wanted a scarlet or a blue and gold.
I think this point in my life would be the best time to get one, I want to outlive all my birds so they don't have to deal with the grief later on.
I will have enough time from now on to spend as much time as possible with all my feathered family :)
I'm ready for the new addition I have always wanted!
But Dean still wants a Grey. Oh men..

aliray
04-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Why not get the grey for him and the macaw for you. Just a suggestion

Brodie
04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
At the moment we can't afford both, eventually we will have both in years to come but right now, not possible lol. Macaws can go for anywhere between $5k and $10k in Australia, and Greys at about $4k-$7k

roxynoodle
04-18-2013, 12:59 PM
I think you would be happy with either. I've always loved macaws and wanted a GW. As the owner now of a Grey, she is just the sweetest little baby. I hope you can have both someday :)

Wendy K.
04-18-2013, 10:39 PM
C'mon Brodie....do I really need to tell you how to convince your man that you REALLY want that B&G??? :th_idea:

Brodie
04-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Hahaha! ;p
He is very, very stubborn, just like me. Lol

Wendy K.
04-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Uh-ooh...well in that case I can't wait to find out whose stubbornness will prevail. :black_eyed:

Brodie
04-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Oh I WILL win don't you worry. Lol
But then again I do kind of want him to have a bird that's "his"
I got scarlet, and Ticka doesn't like being handled, or outside of his cage.. So, it would be good for him too, seems scarlet absolutely hates him haha

Mare
04-21-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm happy for you! You are at an age and can choose a parrot to grow old with, this is exciting! I know that umbrella cockatoos aren't indigenous to your area but are they available for sale? If so, just out of curiosity, what do they charge? My only experience with a large 'too, is this species and I love him, dearly.

Birdboy
04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I know you have your heart set on a mac or grey, but I would highly recommend an amazon :) I think you will give what ever bird you get a great life!! Keep us posted and be sure to share some photos when you get your new feathered friend

Brodie
04-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Umbrella cockatoos can be found for $100-400 around my area, they are very cheap!
And I did consider an amazon, I used to house sit with two amazons inside, they were great but just not for me right now! I do love amazons though don't get me wrong! :)

weimerheimer
04-24-2013, 06:54 PM
green wing macaw ........... Super birds!!!!!

aliray
04-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Wow 100 to 400 that is much cheaper than here but on the other hand the cost of macaws over where you are is outrageous

Brodie
04-25-2013, 03:29 AM
Sorry for the bad info, just had a proper look and they go for a couple thousand. Still pretty cheap compared to a macaw!

I know sulphur crested cockatoos and not expensive at all and you can actually pick them up for free.
But then again, I look out my window every day and see flocks sitting on my lawn, in the trees across from my house, huge flocks fly over my house a few times a day and scarlet screams with them as they do lol. Galahs, corellas too, everywhere, I love it I love watching them in the wild, and we have them everywhere around my area!

Copper
04-25-2013, 04:07 AM
I can recommend galahs, they are fantastic birds. I could never dream of a bird better than Rosie :) They are so inexpensive there that it wouldn't be financially hard to get one.(they are one of the most expensive cockatoos here, not including the black toos). I would imagine you want a more exotic bird though, I always had the thought that many Australian natives think little of galahs and other toos as pets.

My friend has a blue and gold macaw, fantastic bird. Blue and gold's are my favorite macaws. And African grays are also great, they tend to prefer not to be touch. If you raise them right they will enjoy being touched. My friend has a African gray who loves to be pet, Kenji in comparison isn't a touchy bird,

Brodie
04-25-2013, 05:17 AM
I have always loved galahs aswell, there great birds, i love watching them outside in the wild, there very calm and loving towards each other in the flock aswell. But I think we have out hearts set pretty well on either a macaw or a grey.
And if I was to get a macaw it would be either a Catalina or a blue and gold, but we don't have many hybrids here, an they can go for tens of thousands even if I did find one. So I would probably go with the blue and gold, I have always loved them, and of course Fargo stole my heart for all blue and golds :) haha.

Shellybean
04-27-2013, 01:50 AM

here's my mom's bng macaw Bilbo. they're very intellegent birds. he can bark like a dog, say many word, and they're quite funny. i don't get along with him (since my moms around when i'm around him and he's very attached to her he hates me but if she's gone he isn't so bad) anyways he even has a name for me it's not a very nice one though . . . he calls me a**hole lol. he was much different as a baby he was sooo sweet and used to lay on his back while you tickle his toes and he would laugh. Well I guess my point is that even though they are quite obnoxious and loud bng macaws are totally awesome if you're their person or if they're socialized to the whole family. Congratulations on your new house and future feathered family member :) I'm sure you're very excited!