PDA

View Full Version : Vitacritter or Food Coloring?

jacksmom
09-08-2013, 06:06 AM
Lots of internet debate here...what do you guys think wood should be colored with? Vitacritter, food coloring, something else? If food coloring, is there a particular brand you prefer? Why? What is in vitacritter, anyway, I can't seem to find that...and does it come in a sample pack with all the colors anymore?

Thanks! :)

JLcribber
09-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Personally I don't think it should be or needs to be coloured with anything. That's a human desire.

spiritbird
09-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I agree John. Artificial coloring of any bird supplements or food is not necessary.

jacksmom
09-09-2013, 01:33 AM
I have hung both colored and plain wood blocks, and it may just be my imagination, I suppose - but it seems the colored blocks get chewed more. (I actually pick out the colored sunflower seeds, so on, in his "junk food", he just wants all that colored or not, lol...was after the info just for toys)

None of you guys offer your parrots colored wood blocks?

JLcribber
09-09-2013, 04:07 AM
Nope. Never. I cut up about 30ft of 2x4's into 3/4 inch wafers (one large drum sized garbage bag full). They last about 2 to 3 weeks before I need to cut more.

ShellyBorg
09-09-2013, 04:26 AM
I do, mine all will chew up the colored ones before the naturals. Birds can see in colors. I use Kool Aid. It does not take as bright, but gives a nice color the birds seem to like.

jacksmom
09-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks, Shelly!!! :D. I had thought that birds could see in color also...in fact, I think the famous "Alex" proved that beyond doubt by learning to identify colors with his shapes...blue triangle, red square, so on...though from what I read if they aren't receiving full spectrum lighting they will lose the ability to see in color...I rushed out and bought better light bulbs for his room the next day...and we spend a lot of time in the sun whenever possible!

I had read that Kool-Aid shouldn't be used because it would cause the blocks to "taste" like something...but don't they already taste like pine, lol? Wood itself has a taste...and pine would be native to none of our birds. And kool aid without sugar doesn't exactly taste GOOD...

I had been wondering if that was "internet myth"...I suppose none of your birds would be trying to ingest this, or you wouldn't be using it!

Anyone else use kool aid, or another method? :) Thanks! :D

coltfire
09-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Jacksmom, my daughter should be back on in the next few days (Gemini84 Amanda) she makes all her toys and colours her toy's, ill get her to chime in on this and let you know what food colouring she uses.

coltfire
09-09-2013, 12:42 PM
just spoke with her and she uses Queen food colouring, not sure if available world wide but have a look

jacksmom
09-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Thank you so much, coltfire!!! Queen, hmmm...if you could ask her what she thinks of Winston's when you next chat with her that would be awesome!!! I read on a toy making site that Winston's was good...not sure why, though! :what:

Turquoise
09-10-2013, 04:01 AM
I haven't colored any of my toys I make yet. I did buy some food coloring for that purpose. Just haven't bothered to use it. My macaws chew the plain wood just fine and don't seem to mind not having color to their toys. The only time they get colored toys right now is when I buy them from the store or order toy parts in colored woods. They do enjoy chewing the colored toys as well.

I have seen the coloring for toys on some sites. Can't remember now what brand it was. I didn't get any as I already had the food coloring and thought I'd try it first. Don't really know much about how good it is verses food coloring.

coltfire
09-10-2013, 04:55 AM
sorry Jacksmom she has not heard of that one, she has never had a problem with the food colouring so she has not bothered with any others.

jacksmom
09-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Me neither. :) I appreciate you asking, coltfire! :)

Thanks for the poll, guys!