PDA

View Full Version : Kraft Paper

jacksmom
09-08-2013, 05:51 AM
So, I have been cruising some toy part sites lately, and came across kraft paper rope, and kraft paper shreds, so on. This caught my attention...because I recently banned kraft paper from my bird room because of the funny smell when it got wet - and when I researched kraft paper I found it was made from a chemical pulp process.

Are there different kinds of kraft paper? Is that funny smell perhaps not a worry? I loved using it as a room liner (don't have a cage, he has his own bedroom) because it didn't flap around much when he flew...I was very sad to stop using it, but the smell scared me.

I tried Google in every way I knew to see if maybe there were different kinds, can't find much except different thickness, or bleached or unbleached...(I had unbleached, but the kraft products in the bird parts stores look like they may be bleached) I am lost! Any insight would be very much appreciated!!!

coltfire
09-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Have not used it ,so unfortunately i cant help, but im sure some one will chime in soon with an answer for you.

JLcribber
09-08-2013, 01:10 PM
I've used it for years as a floor liner but I don't consider it toy worthy. All paper/cardboard is made with a chemical process. White paper is bleached whereas kraft paper is not.

jacksmom
09-09-2013, 01:41 AM
So, if I were to spread printer paper on the floor (awful idea, but bear with me) there would be the same smell when it got wet? And newsprint doesn't have this smell when wet...or even when dry...so agreed there is SOME chemical processing in every paper, but how toxic is this one compared to others?

I know, tough question...so you have never noticed a funny smell when yours got wet, JP?

JLcribber
09-09-2013, 04:01 AM
I never noticed any smell.

ShellyBorg
09-09-2013, 04:22 AM
You may be able to get paper roll ends from your local newspapers. These are the ends of the huge rolls they print the paper on. I can get them here for about $2 a roll.

jacksmom
09-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Wow, that is a great idea Shelly, thank you sooo much!!! I had been getting the kraft paper as free leftovers from job sites my friends would work on...I never even thought to approach the local newspaper!!! I would be happy to pay a few bucks for something without that chemically smell...and though newspaper does have a smell when wet...it doesn't smell strong like this. It smells like wet paper...and this smells like I have no idea what!!! :what:

I bet the smell is more noticeable to me because I line an entire room with it...and macaw poop is, um, rather large...so there is a lot of it to smell in an enclosed room when it gets wet with big poops!

Thanks again, Shelly!!! :)