PDA

View Full Version : Fighting to save another life..

Wulfgeist
09-07-2013, 04:58 AM
So Crowley is the cat I adopted a month or so ago, the one that caused Jasper's demise. He was skinny when I got him, he tested positive for fiv and the last week or so I've been noticing he's not gaining weight, in fact seems to be losing more. With two weeks off work (part of which I was in the hospital again..as my friend says for me when it rains it hurricanes) I had trouble getting him in but a friend loaned me some money so I wouldn't have to wait near three weeks until I got a paycheck. Took him in today and he's lost like a whole pound. He should be gaining, not losing. His appetite has gone downhill and he's gotten very picky about eating. So the vet looks him over and says she can feel he is full of poop. But he's been going..to prove this he decided to get down and go under a chair in the corner and poo. The vet was actually happy about this and upon examination found his poo to be hard and have the consistancy of half dried clay. It literally crumbled when she was checking it. That's not a good sign. She said he's not done and he needs to try to get cleaned out, that might be messing with his appetite. So tomorrow I go get some canned pumpkin puree and try to convince him to eat it. He napped tonight and woke up, went looking for his food dish so I gave him half a 3 oz can mixed with some sweet potato baby food. He gobbled that down and then had some chicken. I hope he eats like that from here on out. I also picked up some recovery food for him too. He needs to start gaining weight otherwise..well I don't want to think about that. I told him he's not allowed to kill Jasper and then turn around and die, not allowed. He's a plucky little guy and if he's ready to go I'm sure he will let me know.

ShellyBorg
09-07-2013, 05:14 AM
Your a good guy to love this boy. So many would have thrown him out , or just had him put down. Thank you for giving him a chance and not holding a sick cat to his actions.

spiritbird
09-07-2013, 01:15 PM
RJ I am so sorry to hear about Crowley the cat in your life. He is in good hands with you. I suggest you try to increase his water intake also. I had to do that with Christine as she gets UTI's. So now she loves to drink from a water fountain. Try placing more bowl of water around the house for him. Good luck with the pumpkin, which is for the fiber. Also wet food is better than dry for constipation.

Blancaej
09-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Good luck with your cat RJ. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers! That little cat is lucky to have found you. :)

Debra
09-08-2013, 05:34 PM
How is Crowley doing today? Any better?

Wulfgeist
09-09-2013, 03:06 AM
I'm not going to jinx anything and say yes..lol. Saturday he poo'd in the morning..ate a little..I went to the shelter fundraiser and right after I got back he went *alot*. And a third time later that night. That one I checked and it's softer. His appetite still isn't where I would like it to be. Kibble isn't an issue because he refuses it. The vet said she wouldn't care to hear he is on a quality all canned diet the rest of his life so we shall see about that. Earlier I weighed him with a digital bath scale..holding him and then not..according to that he's up .2 pound.

He better decide to start eating more because I'm back to work tomorrow. I won't be here to offer him fresh portions through out the day. Thanks for asking after him, Debra.

And Shelly..yeah..this...person I know..when I told her about him she started in about how he ought to be put down to make room for a healthy cat to have a home..blah blah..well it takes people like me to take this on I guess to save the healthy ones for the general populace. He deserves a shot at a good life as much as any cat. The part of that that amuses me the most is she considers herself a card carrying Wiccan.

ShellyBorg
09-09-2013, 03:34 AM
I have taken in my share of old /sick/unwanted cats. I also had one get my sons GCC the first week she was here. The cat lived to be only 3 years old. We just had to put her down last week do it quality of life issues, we could have kept her going but it would have been everyother day vet trips to drain fluid off her lungs. Not a way I would want any animal to live. As for your friend, have her check her own creed. :D