PDA

View Full Version : ~~From Old To New~~

Turquoise
09-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Well folks, it was time~~ There was no getting around it~~ It had to be done~~ A silent prayer, a tear or two for the dearly departed~~ An all afternoon session of waiting~~waiting~~waiting~~ For the paperwork to get finished and~~ Finally~~ We have new wheels!!~~

OK, enough with the silliness. We have been putting off trading our 2008 V.W. New Beetle til we really had to. Well, Tue we went to Abilene grocery shopping and on the way a new warning light comes on the speedometer. I look it up & it is an emission system warning. We started having trouble this summer if the outside temps were over 105 the Bug would vapor lock & cut in & out. As long as the fuel tank was between 1/4 & 1/2 full. So we were expecting it was beginning to need repairs. After all we have had it for 5 1/2 yrs and put all of 147,000 miles on the sweetheart with nary a thing done to it! V.W. Beetles are super tough little cars, but awesomely expensive to repair!

Tue after shopping with 2X4 & 2X6 studs & metal siding strapped atop our luggage rack and a hatchback full of groceries we went to the only V.W. Dealership in Abilene to have a look around. They were closing up and the young salesman picking up keys & making sure doors were locked was more than happy to answer our questions. So, Wed morning we go back to Abilene, get the tire that went flat at work 2 weeks ago fixed & back on, eat lunch & then go over to the dealership to see what we can get.

Jerry/hubby wants to try diesel this time since we drive 400 miles round trip on our 4 day work week and fuel is so expensive. We already know from the day before that they have one silver metallic 2013 & one black slightly used (7000 miles) 2013 new Beetle diesel. Being a man, (sorry guys) Jerry wants to test drive the black one and thinks that is the one we should try for. Neither of us care for black vehicles, but we go in & start the long process of paperwork. A little while into the figuring and our salesman Adam who happens to be the same one who helped us the evening before asks "me" (I like this guy!) what other colors do I like instead of the black? I tell him the deep blue one since they don't have turquoise & he says they can't get diesel in that color. He shows me the colors they do have & I ask him what is the deal (already knowing why. See, I'd already told Jerry that these places will work better deals for new than used.) He says because they can give us a way better deal going with a new 2013 instead of the used one. So I pick the color called moonstruck silver metallic which looks more like antique silver and the paperwork continues. Finally the paperwork & all is done at 4:30pm!:th_faint:

Long story short, we drive home in a 2013 top of the line V.W. New Beetle with only using our poor old plain Jane 2008 V.W. New Beetle that we still owed 9 months on as down payment. And we lowered our monthly payments by $40.00! I'm happy with it!!:th_biggrin: The old Beetle was our first new car we ever bought & this makes our 2nd.

This is our 2008 we traded in. These photos actually show what a V.W. Beetle
looks like after tangling with a couple of wild hogs!
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

This is our 2013 V.W. New Beetle before it has a chance to meet
up with any hogs.

Honesty
09-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Wow! Thats lovely De'Andrea. You will feel like royalty driving along now:) I would have gone for the black one as I love Black Cars :)

I bet you will actually look forward to going to work today, so you can test drive it properly :th_hehe:

Turquoise
09-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks Wendy, there is definitely a big difference in this new Beetle & our old one. This one is the fanciest car we have ever owned! I drove it home yesterday & nearly tossed us thru the windshield. Not used to such touchy brakes! :th_imok:

Not to downplay black cars, but after one summer in Texas ya' might not like 'em so much Wendy.:th_LOL:

spiritbird
09-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Really nice looking car. Bet you get a good bit of gas mileage. Congrats!

Debra
09-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I agree with not liking black cars in Texas! We have owned white ones for over 10 years now and a silver before that. They get more than hot enough for me, I can't imagine what a black/dark colored one would do. In fact, my car gets so hot that most times it kicks off my asthma and I can't breathe. Heat does that to me.

Love the new car De'Andrea!

coltfire
09-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Nice car De, but where's the racks lol, you said gas is expensive, you do know that you have the cheapest petrol in the world, we pay $1.70 a litter now 1 gallon = 4.4 liters

Honesty
09-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Do you not have Air Con in your Cars in the USA? My Car is all black leather inside and is very, very hot in the sun, but once I put the AC on it soon cools down :)

Our Petrol is also very pricey. We pay £1.40 per litre, which is approx £6.00 per gallon :( This works out at $9.35538 per gallon or $2.18292 per litre[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
09-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Great car De'! My sister just found out her bug is not repairable! She said it is very expensive to fix. So I think they are not going to buy another. She was laid off a year ago and is STILL looking for work, so that is another factor. Great looking car though. My sister had a silver one and loved it!

plax
09-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Cool new car, De'Andrea. I love those! I like the silver, too :)

Debra
09-05-2013, 05:20 PM
We have air, but it takes it a long while to cool the car off.

Mare
09-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Congrats on the new baby! He/she is beautiful! My oldest son is into restoring old VW's. He's working on a 1967 single cab pick-up, it's looking really good, he drives it everywhere but has discovered that not having a/c is rough!

Turquoise
09-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I know fuel is very expensive in other countries, but ours is getting on up there. Before you know it we will be paying the same as ya'll do. It already takes a big chunk of change to pay for fuel for the month at our prices that are between $3.25 to $4.00 a gallon depending on where you are in the US. If you drive long distances like we do, it adds up.

Yes, like Debra says we do have air conditioning in all our cars, or should I say they start out with it working. LOL And like she said, it takes a long time to cool the car down or keep it cool when we are talking about 110 to 115 F. If you don't crack a window in hot summertime it is as much as 120 to 130 F inside the car before it cools! My thing about an all black car with all black interior is it can be so hot it burns your legs or any body parts you touch to it. The interior is dark on this one, so I almost have a black car. :th_LOL: