PDA

View Full Version : Shocked by what I saw

josiesmom
09-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I was driving yesterday on a fairly busy street and saw a man walking his dog on a leash with a cockatoo on his shoulder. He did not have a harness on the bird and they were walking out of the dog park. I don't know what shocked me more...the sight of a cockatoo on a shoulder in my area, the guy walking him through a busy, noisy street, or that they just came out of the dog park. Anything could have spooked that bird and maybe he can't fly, but that is probably more dangerous than if he can fly himself to a safe high spot.

On an even stranger note, I had the urge to pull over and just talk to the cockatoo. I was so excited to see such a beautiful bird so close to home.

Turquoise
09-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Maybe you could have struck up a conversation with the owner through talking to the Cockatoo, like say asking the Too if he was having fun & was he scared a big dog might get him or a fast car since he was not wearing a harness. Sort of bring the subject of harness wearing up with the owner in a coy curious way that he might not feel was being noisy or intrusive. That is if the owner was kind enough to have a strange lady just come up & start talking to his bird without thinking she was nuts!

plax
09-05-2013, 04:43 PM
That's the sensitive part that I often encounter. It's often hard to give suggestions or advice on bird safety without offending a bird's owner. Most folks take pride in their judgment, even when it's bad. I find that too few people are proactive when it comes to protecting pet birds :(

Blancaej
09-05-2013, 04:51 PM
It can be a sensitive subject, but sometimes just starting a friendly conversation and making some lite suggestions could work. But not always easy to approach in either case!

Animalman2046
09-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Anita sorry but I think you have it all wrong. The bird was walking the man and the dog............lol.