PDA

View Full Version : getting outside cage :D

Copper
04-17-2013, 03:04 AM
Lately my mom's been thinking about me getting a cage to go outside, at first she suggested a aviary but she wasn't willing to give away even 6' of her backyard lol. When I move out and have my own backyard I can make a awesome aviary ;)

So the cage I found is on CG, it is a lightly used HQ cage. I showed it to my mom but then realized it was all the way in Santa Rosa(110 miles away), but my mom said it is probably worth it and is going to buy it for me for my birthday since it's on the 22! I may even put Rosie's current cage outside and put this HQ cage inside, her current cage only cost me $215 brand new! easily replaced compared to a $500 HQ cage. We are buying the cage for $175. The cage is 1" deeper than Rosie's and then pretty much the same size. it is 36"W x66"H x28"W.

our plan is to drive up on Sunday to pick it up, and most likely sight see the north bay a little bit and eat lunch.

We are going to wrap the cage in a tarp when not in use to protect it from the elements, and bring put it in the garage in the winter when the weather is rainy. We live in a rain shadow and rain in the summer is very unusual. I expect a outside powder coat cage would last a year, I'm hoping that I might get 2 years out of it since I'm going to try to protect it.

It has casters, they just aren't on in the photo. She said one is loose, we can always buy another or replace it though,

Blackhawk007
04-17-2013, 03:59 AM
Congrats on the pseudo outside aviary. I live in an apartment and wish they would allow for a cage on my huge patio. Just another reason to get a house soon.

Wendy K.
04-17-2013, 10:17 AM
GREAT find, Ashley, and at a SUPER price!!

I truly think you'll get more than 2 years out of the cage, even if left outside during the summer, UNLESS you live right by the ocean. Salty air just seems to corode all metals so quickly.

Rosie will undoubtedly LOVE spending time outside. Will she and Kinji take turns, or is this one just for your rose-breasted beauty?

roxynoodle
04-17-2013, 12:52 PM
If you have a garage you can put the cage in when not using it, that would help prevent rust and corrosion. It does sound like a good buy though :) I got a great price on one of the similar A&E cages in the next size up. Good find!

Copper
04-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Wendy, I would LOVE if Kenji could enjoy this cage as well, but he's just not ready yet. I'm not going to put him in a outside cage until I have him stepping up from his current cage, and doing so reliably.

Once he is they will take turns, but for now it will only be Rosie. Maybe when Kenji is ready I will be able to get another cage so they can be out at the same time :)

We live like 28 miles from the ocean, but there is a mountain range between us so none if the salt air gets to us.

Copper
04-17-2013, 05:06 PM
If you have a garage you can put the cage in when not using it, that would help prevent rust and corrosion. It does sound like a good buy though :) I got a great price on one of the similar A&E cages in the next size up. Good find!

We're going to store the cage in the garage for most of winter, that's when we get all the rain :) and when not in use I'm going to wrap a tarp around it to help protect it.

Blancaej
05-26-2013, 01:07 AM
How did the cage work out?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jtbirds
05-26-2013, 01:22 AM
If I am correct it worked amazing as Ashley had told me:)... I really need to get my outdoor aviary up I mean I got all the supplies just haven't taken the time yet:(

Blancaej
05-26-2013, 01:56 AM
Sometimes it's just hard to find the time to fit it all in! I'm sure you will get there Justin. Thx for the update! :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jtbirds
05-26-2013, 02:12 AM
Well we are adding an addition onto my fathers pole barn so I believe we will just build it all at once:) I've got a lot of things to do ill message you about them sometime:).

DistinctiveFeather
05-26-2013, 02:17 AM
It looks great! I'm sure Rosie will be very happy!