PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they understand?!

tonkatiel
09-02-2013, 01:47 PM
WHY don't people understand how awesome our birds are and how happy they make us?
Since I got my 9th Fid the other day, I've received lectures from 3 different people about how I need to stop because apparently I'm going to get over it soon and I'm going to end up with all of these neglected birds.

I'll be the first to admit that I normally give up on new hobbies and interests fairly quickly (normally within a few days, with the maximum generally being 2 weeks) - but my birds, I don't know how to explain it but they are so much MORE than an 'interest'!

I've suffered from severe depression for 10 years, and this year life has thrown a LOT of absolutely CRAPPY situations at me - but I've never been HAPPIER! And the only thing I can put that down to is that I've got my birds. I started the year with none, then at the end of January my partner bought me my 3 lovebirds for my birthday. In April I got Tonks, my cockatiel. In May I got my galah. My partner bought himself 2 budgies in July. Last month I got another cockatiel, and on Saturday my rainbow lorikeet joined the flock.

I KNOW that my flock has gone from 0-9 in no time at all - but I'm not an idiot, and I'm definitely not heartless. I had no say in getting the lovies but there is NO WAY I would have allowed myself to get more birds if I thought even for a minute that this was just something I'd 'get over'!!

All of my birds get time out of their (very large) cages every day, they all have an excellent diet, their cages get a basic clean every day and a full clean every week. They all have a non stop supply of new toys and foraging and enrichment opportunities. My galah and now my lorikeet are the only ones I can handle - but that doesn't stop me from loving and doting on the others as much possible!

Its so hard to explain how happy they make me - and even if they stop making me happy next year (can't see that happening though!) They've already earnt the right to have me doing everything I possibly can to make their lives amazing for the next 15-60+ years just for helping me get through this year!

Sorry for offloading on you guys, just figured that if there is anyone in the world who would understand what I mean, I'd find them here ;)
I just don't understand why it is so hard for some people to realise just how amazing birds are, and to realise that just because THEY don't understand how it works (birds making me happy), doesn't mean that it doesn't work!

Turquoise
09-02-2013, 02:46 PM
You definitely came to the right place for this one!! Absolutely!! :th_hug8:

I know exactly how you feel and I know exactly what you are going through with people telling you all this crap about the whys & what will you do when you get tired of them. I also know how you feel about your fiddies and how they make you happy. And I got all of my larger birds within the last 1 1/2 yrs, my choice. :th_biggrin:

Our birds are awesome at lifting our spirits when we are down or life kicks us in the teeth. Even when the fids are a bit on the grumpy side they can still find a way to make us laugh & forget the outside world exists if for only a short while. Folks who 'Don't Get It' are the ones who live a sad lonely life. I'm not saying folks who don't keep birds, but the ones who think they have to push their 'non bird' influence on anyone who adores & cherishes their feathered darlings!

Thanks for sharing this with us. And may you & I and all our friends on here keep having fun laughing with our fiddies for many years to come! :th_heart:

Debra
09-02-2013, 03:23 PM
I know exactly what you mean about the birds being an antidepressant. I am bi-polar and when I have my downs, my birds (especially Frankie) lift me up and keep me going. Frankie seems to sense a change in me and starts doing the cutest things to try to draw me out of it. It usually works too. We've had a lot thrown on us within the last couple of months and the birds just see us through it. We will start out each day with the attitude of "I've got to feed the birds" but by the time we are almost finished with it it's "We got to feed the birds" and we are happy with ourselves. Not sure if I explained it right, but you get the idea I'm sure. I simply cannot imagine my life without them.

tonkatiel
09-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Oh thank god I'm not alone lol, I was beginning to wonder if I really was just nuts - the amount of times I've tried to explain to (non bird) people and then been looked at like I was an alien, I was beginning to think that maybe bird people would have the same reaction lol...

Debra, I know exactly what you mean about the 'we've fed the birds thing' - so often I'm so down that I don't even want to get out of bed. But because of the birds, I have to. And then its not just a 'okay I managed to get out of bed today', its a 'okay, I managed to get out of bed AND feed the birds today' - I know there are plenty of people (even bird people) who won't understand why that is such a big deal, but it keeps me going and then (most of the time), motivates me to do more.
I have young kids so you'd think I'd have to get out of bed anyway lol, but my partner has an awesome job where he's home for most of the morning so he'll deal with them if I can't - he won't do the same for my birds. As far as hes concerned they have pellets and day old dirty water in there cages, so they're fine :/

Generally all I have to do is LOOK at my lovies to be able to laugh - they're absolute clowns and they LOVE to show off! Punky gives amazing cuddles, and in the late afternoons she turns into a hilarious (but very loud) monster... the tiels are so in love its almost sickening lol but its awesome to just sit and watch them cuddle and preen eachother, plus Tonks can whistle an awesome tune ;) the budgies are like feisty little acrobats who simply NEVER stop! They all have their own amazing little personalities and I just can't imagine my life without them anymore! I always have something to do now - whether it be feeding them, cleaning up after them, watching them, playing with them - or simply reading about them to see what else I can learn... I can't remember the last time I was truly bored!

coltfire
09-02-2013, 10:45 PM
no way are you alone on this, if it was not for my birds i dont know where i would be or what i would be doing they keep me sane , they are my babies that never grow up and i would not have it any other way, i need them more than they need me, and i would do any thing to make sure they get what they need and when, as for people saying stuff i just tell them well if it ever happens u can say i told you so but until then keep your comments to your self, that normally stops them in there tracks. i dont know what i would do if i did not have my birds in my life, and i cant even remember not have one or two or three or ect lol

tonkatiel
09-02-2013, 10:48 PM
They've also really helped my 3 year old son a lot - he has speech development issues, and before the birds came we were having a lot of trouble getting him to say ANYTHING! Now, he never shuts up lol... it could be a coincidence and that he just got older, but it started with him having to say goodnight to all the birds by name before he'd allow us to put him in bed. Now he will tell anyone who will listen all about our birds and what they did that day, what they ate and what toys are there favorites etc.. its amazing the change in him since the birds joined our family :)

coltfire
09-02-2013, 11:01 PM
another young birdie person in the making , does not matter how you look at it birds are just great pet's in any one's life , they will give back what you give them , so them love and they give it back 10 fold, so good to hear they have helped your son, and i dont think it is a coincidence.

tonkatiel
09-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Haha coltfire I have started telling people that (they can say I told you so if it ever happens) - I just find it amazing that people would rather abuse me for loving my birds than just mind there own business.

ShellyBorg
09-02-2013, 11:09 PM
I have a autistic son and birds, cats and dogs have all helped him become the amazing young man he is. Pets of any type can make a amazing difference in our lives.

Pinkbirdy
09-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Ill add to this ,I get a lot of grief [of the amount I have and what I spend my money on]!!! Birds are my true calling in life . I wish I had discovered this about myself way sooner .My course would have been very different . I can say I would be happy doing ,helping ,learning parrots all day every day . Am I crazy, YES!!!![and I don't care]. I think birds are more meaningful.I look at my friends .What am I supposed to have a million purses ,shoes ,clothes ,remodel my house over and over ,Or talk about my relationship to death.Im very defensive when harassed about my birds .I say at least its not drugs .This is my thing ,I get up at 4:30 to make sure Im giving them my all.If people are having a problem with something that's good [I take it as they don't want you to be happy] and would tell them so !!!

josiesmom
09-03-2013, 02:23 AM
Ben and I were talking about this earlier. He thinks that I am too naive when it comes to people enjoying Josie. I love her and have never had a fear of her and he thinks that is the problem. For me, I guess I can't understand why others wouldn't want to interact with her. Ben's theory is that people are ignorant to the intelligence a bird has and are also fearful of the beak. If any of the naysayers were to spend one day in my house just listening and watching her antics, they would understand the intelligence of birds. People spend thousands of dollars on their dogs who do not have the lifespan of a bird but they can't understand why any of us would spend our time and money on a bird. Dogs are pack animals who live to protect their pack and birds are flock animals who live to protect their flock. Don't get me wrong, I love our dog, too, but believe me, he doesn't make me nearly as happy as Josie does. She just a clown with blue and gold feathers. I'm so happy to have this forum to connect with others who have the same feelings about birds. :-)

PlaxMacaws
09-03-2013, 04:15 AM
My birds are essential! My birds are magical! My birds are family!

I think most folks who criticize keeping and cherishing companion birds tend to be rather empathy-challenged and self-centered. They're simply unable to tune in to the personality of a bird because they view birds as objects... not as intelligent, sentient beings. I find this disturbing :(

ConureGuy
09-03-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm always asked why i have birds people say there messy, noisy and annoying if only they understood what it ment to be owned by these feathered beauty's i enjoy the love i get from my 3 babies they are my life the feeling i get in my tummy when one of them is layed on my chest with there head pressed up against me is so nice.

People say there horrible and evil animals countless of times when i have had jinx and georgie out on the harnesses people have stopped me and said why do you have birds there nasty animals and when i ask why they are nasty i get the reply they bite and destroy everything i just say they only bite if you give them a reason too and as for destroying things if giving the right method of training and plenty of toys you can avoid having your house torn apart by them.

coltfire
09-03-2013, 01:04 PM
ill give my guys one thing besides the blinds, they have not destroyed any thing bar there own toys, yes the beak is a big problem for people, now i know my males beak is no where near as big as the macaws but its still a good 2.5 inches and just about every one is scared of maxx's beak and when i get kisses it just freaks people out , i get are you crazy he will take your nose or eye or even the lip right off, which if he wanted to he could, but not to me he wouldn't if they knew the love of a bird then they would never have a negative comment about our fids , just as a point of the love from birds, my aviary birds, i have been spending a fair bit of time in there or just outside it the last week or so , well i now have 5 keets that will land on me or step up, and the rest are coming a lot closer , the babies i am handling a fair bit so they will be hand tame by the time they leave the box, and im going to hand raise 6 or so keets for re-sale just so they are tame for the new owners. but im so happy having my aviary birds land on me .

Mare
09-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Many people just don't GET it, this I've found to be so true, also. My husbands friends are the ones that have been the most offensive with their questions about why do we put up with the noise, the mess, their destructive powers? One of my husbands friends asked him why Amigo hasn't been shot yet?! My husband and kids, GET it. They understand the bond that can happen with birds. I guess, you've got to live with them to truly understand.

A little off subject but last night I watched "My Life as a Turkey", a PBS show that was on Netflix. Has anyone seen this? Talk about living with them to truly understand! This guy GETS it :)!

kendrafitz
09-04-2013, 10:57 AM
I get a lot of WHY?!?!, birds are dirty and loud, and looks of disgust.

However, that is BEFORE they spend time at our house. It seems to me that the people that were the most critical are the most interested when they meet Rosie.

Now Rosie is shy and not the most friendly GW with others. She won't talk around "strangers" unless they are children or elderly. The only way she will let anyone she is unfamiliar with handle her is if she thinks they can give her a ride to me. ;) But she still manages to charm and change the view of most naysayers. They leave thinking she is just the coolest thing ever.

So my thought is most people don't get it bc they just haven't had the opportunity to experience the wonder and charm that we see every day. :)

Rescued
09-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Overall I have had a lot of people who just don't "get it." These people don't stay in my life for long. I think that we animal people are made especially with extra love and empathy and other people are not equipped to deal with it. My own father resents my animals and frequently makes snide comments about them. Whats funny is that they don't effect him in any way. He doesn't live with us and has little to no contact with any of them. I think that our kindness actually shows them something lacking in themselves which makes them uncomfortable... I have many friends that get it, those who don't, aren't my friends.

Mare
09-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Kendra, I think macaws might be a little more mellow than U2's? Not sure, but listening to you folks with them, I believe they are. I just got home from town and cut Amigo loose. My husband was out working near the garage and someone drove in who is here to help my hubby with a project he is working on. Well,,Amigo flys to the nearest tree and went off, full volume, for about 10mins! This is normal behavior for him when someone new comes into his territory. My husband is use to it, he knows what Amigo is doing. New people don't. They just think he is this obnoxious, loud, why would you have this in your life, bird. He obviously doesn't get it :)!

jacksmom
09-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Vent away, you will find willing ears here! :)

If you have the time and resources to care for your fids, (we know all that entails!) and the commitment to keep doing so, then the person who best knows how many birds you should have is YOU. :) Don't pay the naysayers any mind...and just log on here with all the other "crazy" (happy) folks on here when you need "someone who GETS it"!!! :D

Yeah, I get "but aren't they really messy" a lot...I usually respond with a hearty "Oh, YEAH!" and continue to admire him, or talk to him, so on...LOL! Making it very clear that it isn't the slightest annoyance to me. Then, sometimes "He isn't LOUD?" I shrug and say "Oh sure, if he wants to be..." and so on and so forth. And like Josiesmom says, after just looking for awhile...even though he is being as boring as can be, just standing there...they almost always say "Well, he is really cool." Or something like that.

I mean really...a dog sheds, and will chew up furniture...if not socialized and trained. Our birds create their mess, and if we aren't up on our socialization, and, well...TOYS, they may destroy our home...not much different than the trouble a dog causes. I have a dog also, and yes, Jack does require a bit more time and care...but most of that is because my dog can poop outside. ;) And okay, Jack does go through toys faster. :)

Blancaej
09-08-2013, 05:30 PM
None of us are nuts! It's the non-bird lovers that are! LOL! :th_biggrin: Seriously though, when you take the time to love and nurish (sp?) a companion bird, you get soooo much back. It's amazing the deep relationship you can have with a bird. And unless someone has experienced that, they just don't get it. Not all bird owners give their birds what they truly need and it is sad to see so many birds go from home to home to home. Thank goodness for the rest of us who sometimes pick up the pieces, take them in and give them the home they deserve.

This is what I would say to those who criticize - I guess if you don't have a love for birds like I do, I can understand if you don't get it and I don't expect you to "get it", but don't criticize me for what I do. We all enjoy different things and we all choose what we enjoy spending money on. For me it's my fids. A lot better then alcohol or drugs!! It's my life and I will do what I want with it!

I really don't care what anyone thinks when it comes to my birds except my hubby & kids (they have to live with them, too!) Fortunately for me, most of my family and friends really enjoy my birds. And even though I told them they will probably think I'm a crazy bird lady now that my flock is getting better, they all reassured me that they didn't think that at all! :th_biggrin:

I guess I am lucky to have friends and family who just like to see me happy!