PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite fire

Mare
08-31-2013, 07:11 PM
I just got back from town. We live at the gateway to Yosemite and I've NEVER seen smoke in the air like this! It's horrible! I went into the Von's market and couldn't believe that there were still tour busses coming thru!! There were three parked in the parking lot, the smell of smoke everywhere (even in the store) and they were on their way to Yosemite!

My son called after I got home, I told him about this and he says, "Yep, people buy tickets in advance, travel long distances to see Yosemite, a little thing like a fire sure as hell isn't going to stop them! They are GOING to see YOSEMITE!" My son never fails to crack me up :)!

This fire is going on 200,000 acres burned and 35% contained. They are hoping for containment in the next few weeks. I've been keeping Amigo in because of the air quality, for now.

spiritbird
08-31-2013, 07:15 PM
It must be so difficult for the people that have had homes destroyed by fire and see the lovely old trees burn down. Nature can be cruel sometimes. (If that is what caused the fire). I bet you have lovely photos of where you live.

plax
08-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Wildfires are so frightening! I'm happy to know that you've got Amigo protected from the outside air. Hopefully the fire guys will make additional progress fairly soon.

ShellyBorg
08-31-2013, 07:27 PM
I hate smoke! I lost over 100 head of chickens when I was breeding heritage birds. Everyday I would go out and pick up between 2 to 5 birds a days. It just made me sick and after I sold all my chickens off and have never bred again. Inside I had 5 air filters running at all times and was so scared for my parrots. I ended up driving to the coast for a week and living at a camp ground with 3 parrots and 2 kids.

Mare
08-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Oh, it's terrible Dianne to know of the devastation of these fires. It's path, outside of the park, is headed to towns with 4500 homes in its path. We have friends living there and am worried for them.
Tony, my neice's husband is a Hot Shot fire fighter that has been on this crew of over 4200 that has been sent into the state to fight this one. Today is my neice's birthday and he will be home for a day or two before being sent out again. We'll see them tonight at her party. I greatly admire all that these fire fighters who try and help save homes and properties of people they've never met. I pray for them all the time.

Mare
08-31-2013, 07:36 PM
Shelly, I have the purifies going! I'm so sorry to here about your chickens!

plax
08-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Tony, my neice's husband is a Hot Shot fire fighter that has been on this crew of over 4200 that has been sent into the state to fight this one. Today is my neice's birthday and he will be home for a day or two before being sent out again. We'll see them tonight at her party. I greatly admire all that these fire fighters who try and help save homes and properties of people they've never met. I pray for them all the time.Amen to admiring what your niece's husband and his fellow firefighters do! They are certainly depended upon and they're well beyond praise-worthy!!!

Honesty
08-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Fires are awful:( I am glad you have Amigo inside.

I hope you all stay safe! I too have alot of admiration for Firefighters. My Son Daniel is looking into becoming a Fireman at the moment!

coltfire
08-31-2013, 09:40 PM
i hope they get them under control soon and Amigo can go back outside again, he must be getting very uneasy been kept inside, we are about to have the heat turned up here, they are saying this is going to be the hottest summer we have had in over a 100 years, as our winter was the warmest on record to date. so we all know the fires are coming. stay safe.

Blancaej
09-01-2013, 02:55 AM
You and your family & fids will be in my thoughts that you stay safe during this awful wild fire!

Debra
09-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Yikes! Stay safe! Most of the counties here in East Texas are under burn bans so we have favorable conditions for fires. Worrisome times around here. I actually saw someone burning the other day. If I weren't on my bus I would have called it in. Luckily it didn't get away from them (no one was out watching it either).

Mare
09-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Yeah, Steve, the weather patterns are noticeably changing, for sure. This had been a very dry winter for us, so therefore, the scary fire season! The winds have shifted, somewhat, and the smoke is not so bad today. I cut Amigo loose and he is enjoying his day outside. He does get antsy when cooped up for too long :).

coltfire
09-01-2013, 11:17 PM
what you have there is what we are about to get in the next month or so, the fires burn bad here through the state forests,Australia is looking into getting the new jets to fight the fires this year they say they can put out a 20 hectare fire with in minutes, atm all we have for the air is the choppers but they do a good job, im sure this summer there are going to be a lot of houses lost, last year we had a lot of fire fighters come from the states to help fight the fires as they were so bad, and they say this year will be 100 times worse than last year.

Turquoise
09-02-2013, 08:22 AM
I do hope you & all your critters (including your 'resident' turkeys) stay safe & the fires don't get very near you Mare. I have been wondering about you since I've heard a few updates on the fires at Yosemite this week. I hope Amigo stays safe while out & about. It is always so sad for me to think about all the small creatures that lose their homes & lives due to these fires.

My part of Texas is under fire burning bans almost year round. We have been very dry for several years now. The lake behind my house is the driest I have ever seen it. We did get unusual summer rains & cooler temps. I expect a colder than usual winter ahead for us due to this.

Animalman2046
09-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Wild fires are always so sad. I am praying for all the poor animals in the fires path and for those who will not make it out alive. Sad to see such beautiful animals die so needlessly and also praying for all the people who are affected by the fires. Praying for all the fire fighters who risk their lives to save the animals and people. God bless them as they are true Saints in this life.