PDA

View Full Version : My monsters.

ShellyBorg
08-31-2013, 06:36 PM
We are working on being OK hanging out with other birds on top of each other cages. So far so good. As long as Demon and Spirit stops pulling poor Danny's tail to hear his yell... Both Spirit and Demon seem to like this, they have been playing with toys and ripping up boxes. Danny just started preening so there is hope.

Blancaej
08-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Great pic Shelly! I've had Savannah and Quincy on the same perch a couple of times, just getting them used to each other. Plus, I want them to learn how they are supposed to treat each other. I spend a lot of time watching them and giving them a stern "Be Nice". LOL!

ShellyBorg
08-31-2013, 06:50 PM
I expected more out of Spirit and Demon. Both have had issues with Widget , but I am starting to think the issue is Widget. I just did some clicker training and we only had one issue when Spirit charged Demon to get the target stick first. Demon did the Senegal fluff and hissed and Spirit backed right down. I did not even need to say anything and Spirits respecting Demons turn. Danny is just being Danny. I know it takes time and he is doing so much better. He will even play with a couple of toys for a little bit now. Still very shy but slowly becoming the Zon I know he has in him!

plax
08-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Zaf and Salsa are constantly lunging at each other's tails :th_shakehead:. You probably know this already, but be especially careful if one bird gets on the outside of a cage another bird is in! That's how severed toe accidents happen:(.

Pinkbirdy
08-31-2013, 07:28 PM
WOW Im Impressed ,with them all together [nice to see pictures of your birds]

ShellyBorg
08-31-2013, 07:50 PM
No one is allowed in the cage when others are on top. If one wants to be put back (and seeing the sleepy looking eyes that will be soon) They all have to go back or I pull out the other play stands that are self standing. I will be doing more of this. It all seemed to go ok. I will still only be doing it when I can be right there watching. (got to love lap tops!)
Opal the parrotlet has been really slow in training. We are moving at her pace and I think that speed is revers sometimes. She has been yelling at me when I work with the others, luckily she has such a small voice that she can yell all day and It does not even faze me or the household. As soon as these guys go up for nap time it will be her time, then Widget will come out for clicker training and scratches. She will still be going up to my cousin in OR as soon as I can drive her up. She will leave such a hole but will get a chance to be a only bird that I am sure she wants to be. Yesterday when we where working on going into the travel kennel she kept asking "Bye bye?" But as soon as we are done working she runs back to her cage and stares out the window. I know she will be so much happier with some one who she can be one on one all the time!

ShellyBorg
08-31-2013, 08:10 PM
WOW Im Impressed ,with them all together [nice to see pictures of your birds]

I got my phone figured out, if I take the pic, then share it with facebook. I can use the laptop to grab the pic then repost here! Much easier then trying to email my self.

coltfire
08-31-2013, 09:44 PM
nice pic , wish all mine would get on the way Jerry is Atm ,he and maxx may not be aloud out together if he keeps up his fighting.

Mare
08-31-2013, 11:46 PM
I love your monsters! Gosh, if they weren't that, would they truly be a bird? :th_biggrin:

Turquoise
09-02-2013, 04:09 AM
All of my birds, large or small except the parakeets who all live together in a large flight cage, have their own play perches & no one is allowed on the other's play area. If I tried to allow anyone of them to co-exist on a play perch together, someone would come away with missing body parts! Mine are all very possessive of their personal homes and play perches and I think that is quite fine since it is their only real possessions in life here.

I don't mind a bit that the three macaws can't be on the same perch or in the same enclosure. I am glad they are all individuals who can play by themselves and have time with me any time I walk up to them on their own perches to take each one off by itself to have one-on-one time with me. It saves a lot of bickering and jealousy from each one. And they are jealous! Just walking too close to another one will warrant a quick nip to my arm as a warning that I am theirs alone.

If I wanted any of them to bond to each other I would be more apt to try to get them to live together. This kind of lifestyle I have with my birds works very well for me. It isn't for everyone I suppose, but it is how my birds & I enjoy our life together.:th_biggrin: