PDA

View Full Version : Southwick Zoo, MA

Blancaej
08-28-2013, 09:32 PM
When we went to RI we happened to find a great zoo about 1/2 hour away in MA! My daughter is in love with Hyacinth Macaws and has never seen one in person. Well they had several at this zoo along with many other breeds. We missed the first 1/2 of a bird show they did but we were able to get our picture taken with a bunch of their birds. It was a picture they had to take. So for now I am sharing a picture I took of the picture! LOL! Plus a bunch of other pics of the birds they had there.

This is the picture we bought from the zoo. Hopefully I can get it scanned in the future, but for now I took a picture of it to share.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

African Grey

Hyacinth

Buffon Macaw

Bird Show

Pair of Greenwings (my favorite pic)

Honesty
08-28-2013, 09:46 PM
They are stunning pics. I have never seen a Hy in person :(

Blancaej
08-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Thanks Wendy! The show had 2 Hyacinth's in it. When they were doing photos I asked to make sure we had one in the photo. They were putting a hy on one side and a scarlet on the other. The woman was nice enough to ask me if we wanted both Hyacinths in the photo? Of course we said YES! They are stunning birds. It was really cool to hold one. I enjoyed chatting with the one on my end while we waited for them to finish setting up the photo!

Honesty
08-28-2013, 09:54 PM
They certainly are stunning. I would have been in that section all day:)

Looks like a Hy could be on your Christmas list too :th_hehe: I dont want to make your Hubby :th_faint: :)

Pinkbirdy
08-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Great ,Great pictures [I would love to see a Hyacinth in person. ] Always like the rarer birds [the Buffons was neat :)]

Blancaej
08-29-2013, 02:01 AM
They certainly are stunning. I would have been in that section all day:)

Looks like a Hy could be on your Christmas list too :th_hehe: I dont want to make your Hubby :th_faint: :)

LOL! My hubby said maybe if we won the lottery! :D

Great ,Great pictures [I would love to see a Hyacinth in person. ] Always like the rarer birds [the Buffons was neat :)]

Its nice to see my kids so interested in birds. They love the rare ones. I'm amazed how much my daughter has learned in the last year. At least I know she's been listening! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pinkbirdy
08-29-2013, 02:03 AM
I wouldn't be happy unless I could hold them all though :)

plax
08-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Very nice photos! And a very cool photo of a photo, Blanca ;). One thing about Hys is that the flash should never be used if the goal is to capture their natural hue. Using a flash will cause their blue coloring to appear as a much lighter unnatural shade on the images. You can see the difference if you compare the image in which you and your husband are holding the birds to the images of the birds under natural lighting. For this reason, whenever I snap photos of Zaf I always avoid using the flash.

coltfire
08-29-2013, 09:02 AM
what stunning pic and birds.

Blancaej
08-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Tony - along with not using flash, overcast or cloudy days are the best lighting to capture the deep rich color. Sun can wash out color in your photos! ;)

I was not allowed to take the photo on the stage. We had to pay for that. They have to make there money and I don't mind supporting the zoo!

plax
08-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Tony - along with not using flash, overcast or cloudy days are the best lighting to capture the deep rich color. Sun can wash out color in your photos! ;)I'm sure that's correct. Another thing about Hys is that they will literally transform to a dark green color when they're soaking wet - and you don't need to snap a photo to see it ;). It's far less attractive than the blueness of their dry state, IMO. But they always dry out enough to revert back to their cobalt blue brilliance in a short while.

I was not allowed to take the photo on the stage. We had to pay for that. They have to make there money and I don't mind supporting the zoo!Yes, certaainly. There's nothing wrong with supporting organizations such as zoos!

Blancaej
08-29-2013, 05:50 PM
I didn't know that their feathers become dark green when wet! That must be pretty interesting! Would love to see what that looks like! :)

plax
08-29-2013, 06:28 PM
I didn't know that their feathers become dark green when wet! That must be pretty interesting! Would love to see what that looks like! :)It's actually kind of a dingy dark turquoise color. I'll try to remember and snap some shots of Zaf one of these times after his bath and post them.

Turquoise
09-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Awesome places you get to go Blanca!! I have never gotten to see a Hy in person either. I would love to hold one~~Hell, I'd love to own one!! I am just too old anymore to want to work overtime for 6 to 8 months to afford one.

Forget the lottery, I never remember to buy tickets. And I hate thinking someone just won MY money!! Even if it was just a dollar. It was still MY dollar they won!!

I have been to Zoos that have lots of parrots & a nice group of macaws, but none have had Hyacinths.

Blancaej
09-11-2013, 11:29 AM
This was a fantastic little zoo! Yeah, I don't foresee owning a Hy anytime soon either! Lol! We can always dream. ;)

Debra
09-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Our local zoo actually has a pair of Hy's! The macaws are the first place I go in the zoo.

Blancaej
09-11-2013, 04:48 PM
That would be me, too! Lol!