PDA

View Full Version : ~~My Flock's Homes~~

Turquoise
08-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Thought I'd put a photo up of my bigger kid's homes. As I've mentioned before, the macaw enclosures are not the normal type you would expect to find in someone's living room. They are professional dog kennels and for me they work great to give my biggest kids plenty of room. When hubby finishes the hallway to my new bedroom, the wall Roscoe & Angel's enclosure will be torn out & their home will be moved into the old bedroom just on the other side. That would be the wall with the chewed on places.:th_hehe: I don't have the room to move it far enough from the wall in there to keep idle beaks & feets from doing their dirty work.

The front view of Roscoe's half. The back half is Angel's.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

This one is Ruby Jewel's home. it is on the opposite side of the
room from the boys.

The macaw cage I originally got for the boys and decided it was
too small. I gave it to Leyla Belle and that is her play perch in front of it.

A side view of Roscoe & Angels' home. The play perch by it is
the one Angel gets on to ride to my computer area.

Pinkbirdy
08-27-2013, 11:29 AM
I know you put that stuff together [and its fantastic !!!] I want it at my house.:)

Blancaej
08-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Wow De'! Fantastic job! That is a birdie heaven. I love your pllay gyms! Great job!! You must have a pretty decent size room to fit all that! I can see why you want to expand the room! How is that coming?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

spiritbird
08-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Your flock is fortunate to have you as their guardian.

Honesty
08-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Wow! What a fantastic set up De'Andrea:) They certainly are lucky to have you as their Mum :)

Debra
08-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Wow! They must be in heaven with all that space!

Turquoise
08-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone. The room isn't that large, hence the reason for tearing out the wall & moving the boys to the opposite side. They have plenty of room to entertain themselves while I sleep on work days. Ruby jewel's home is 5'X5', it is half of the kennel. Roscoe & Angel's homes will be back to that size as soon as I get them moved. Each will have a 5'X5' half. Where it sits at present it has to be moved in 2ft so I can get through my now bedroom door.:th_LOL:

Roscoe has torn up all his toys & I am in the process of building him more. He tears them up faster than Angle and Ruby Jewel still doesn't chew much on toys yet. She is beginning to like playing with them. Right now her favorite thing to do when she is spending time in her home is to climb all over the ceiling upside down & hang like a monkey. :th_biggrin:

I'm no good at measuring square footage, so I have no idea what my home size is except by the exterior wall in feet. My whole home by exterior walls measures 30ft wide by 42ft long. It is not a mobile home at all, but it is all metal wall exteriors including the front, back door & roof. It is made like a large metal shop with all steel framework even around the windows, large steel beams for the roof supports & 3" steel piping for the wall framing. It sits on a cement slab foundation and has a drop down ceiling with non load bearing interior walls. When we had our flood & it was filled with 5 1/2ft of the lake water for 11 days, it did not hurt the exterior parts of the house a bit. Destroyed everything inside, including the interior walls but the house was fine. If it had been a wood structure home we probably would have had to tear the whole thing down & start over.

The hallway to connect the bedroom to the main house is coming along ~~Slowly!~~Blanca. But that is how my hubby works. LOL Jerry is slow, but does a good job. If I rush him he will stop working on it all together & I will have to finish it. Not something I can't do, I just don't want to do it & I don't build like he does. I get in there & get it done, I don't go analyzing & figuring for weeks & then buying the Lowe's out with much extra than he needs. I am giving him subtle hints to get it done before our son, Jory gets home in Oct. Not far off now & I have yet to hear if I get the time off!!

ConureGuy
08-28-2013, 12:54 AM
Impressive cages dee i love the large java tree i'm thinking about getting a large one for all 3 of my birds once jinx and georgie make friends with keko only problem with one that size is it's so damn pricey here in the united kingdom but we will see i should be able to afford one at the start of next year. :th_biggrin:

Blancaej
08-28-2013, 01:17 AM
Paul - I know De' makes her own Java type stands. Bet you she can give you some pointers!

De' - Wow, it sounds like you have everything in your house set up just right. Especially with not a lot of space to spare. I think you do a great job! I can definitely see the benefit of having metal exterior walls and framing! It sure saved you when your house was flooded! I don't blame you for being patient on the hallway. ;) But I'm sure you will be super excited when it's done!

ConureGuy
08-28-2013, 02:06 AM
Any pointers on how to make them would be great it would save me a fortune.

Turquoise
08-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Thanks Blanca. I will indeed be glad. The new bedroom will be a little larger & maybe I won't be stumbling over furniture I have stuffed in the old one. LOL

Paul, Blanca is right. I do make my own play perches. The pet shops here do not carry any larger than Cockatiel size & those are the boxed ones to put together. I have a couple of those for Peta. I would either have to drive at least 200 miles or order the medium to large java perches. And like you, I can't afford the prices of them. Forget ordering!! The shipping is a ransom to me, so I build my own from Mulberry & Mesquite limbs.

I did buy a short stump of java tree from a pet shop in San Antonio when i was waiting for Roscoe & Angel's breeder to get to town with them. it was an equal distance trip for her & us of almost 300 miles, so we had plenty of time to shop. I didn't ever use it for the boys. I did make it into a play perch for Ruby Jewel with adding limbs of Mesquite & Mulberry limbs to it. Here are a couple of photos of it while waiting for Ruby Jewel to wean & come home. As you can see the java part is the base & has no limbs to it, but it only cost $49.00, so I thought it a great buy. :th_biggrin:

As far as pointers, I just find good limbs I already have that have been cut for a long time lying about in my yard. We then either use what we have available in the base work or we buy a little & I put wheels on it so I can move it about. That particular perch of her stays by my computer table in the opposite end of the same large room now.

ConureGuy
08-28-2013, 03:12 AM
Ah i will have to look into finding wood in my town that i can use to make one thanks for that de. :)