PDA

View Full Version : Went to Petco...

Wulfgeist
08-27-2013, 01:21 AM
Had to pick up some food for the mogs and as soon as I walk in I hear some sort of conure making a fuss. This Petco actually has birds..I was surprised. i got Tico at a Petco when it opened by me back in Wisconsin but they stopped selling birds before too long, save for budgies. Cute little nippers. They had a couple green cheeks as well as a "fancy" green cheek..I'm not sure what variation it might be..maybe yellow sided? I was worn out from my walk there so didn't spend alot time excpet getting what I needed.

Tico needs a new cage and that is on my want list. His is as old as he is..like 6 or 7..I hate it. It's not good quality I think and starting to rust in spots. And it has plastic cups. I hate plastic cups especially for birds that love to make soup.

I need to win the lottery..watch out if I did..I would have such a zoo..lol..a friend for Tico, another grey..maybe a couple horses..a dog or two *maybe*. Definately a few more birds.

Ahhh to dream..

Pinkbirdy
08-27-2013, 01:52 AM
I got my "Fancy Green Cheek" [they called it ] from Petco too. I guess its really a yellow sided . One of the things, everytime I went in there. He made great attempts to see me [I couldn't Ignore that ] . Now I run by the bird section [LOL]. I was just somewhere that had 4 Sunconures [that had been there awhile]. The staff was surprised they were all over me [they said they wernt friendly] . I think birds know if your a bird person. Of course leaving there [Im trying to figure out my conure room !] ;) Im kinda glad theres less birds in Ny to come across [I would be in serious trouble].[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Turquoise
08-27-2013, 04:37 AM
I got Peta from her first owner when she was 5 1/2 yrs old, The lady said she came from one of the two chain stores, can't remember if it was Petco or PetsMart. They have both in her town. Peta is a Pineapple Green Cheek. The PetsMart closest to me (65 miles) has at least Normal GCCs most of the time for sale. Recently they got in a Jenaday Conure. It was cute, but I am more of a big bird person.

Terri, you should start a bird sanctuary. One of those kinds you charge admission to come see to help care for the birds, but none are ever up for adoption.:th_biggrin:

Pinkbirdy
08-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Of Course !!! Sounds Great [and your right no one could have them except you guys :)] Your on your way with one too!!. Ill have one in Ny and you in Texas [It will be a bird tour] and maybe Steve in Australia ;)

Blancaej
08-27-2013, 11:43 AM
It is obvious the birdie bug is running rampet on this forum! Lol! Great idea ladies! ;)

Glad you had a good visit to the pet store. I always love going in and saying "Hi" to all the birdies!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

spiritbird
08-27-2013, 12:50 PM
The Petco here has quite a few birds. Now they have a Meyers, Alexandrine, several Conures, IRN's and Cockatiels. Of course a large enclosure full of Parakeets. I often go to the store just to look at the birds and make sure they are being treated well.

Blancaej
08-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Wow Dianne, that is a great selection of birds. We usually only have tiels, budgies, gcc & maybe a Sun conure if we are lucky at our Petco or Petsmart! :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Honesty
08-27-2013, 02:44 PM
We dont have a Petco :th_sad7:

Debra
08-27-2013, 04:17 PM
I've quit going to Petco. For some reason, they don't carry nutriberries in the size I want -- only the nutripellets which my flock hates. They also only rarely have the cockatiel size Zupreem fruity which I go through a bunch of. So my only other choice is PetSmart. They are a little more expensive, but they have everything I need (when I don't order online). Mostly the PetSmart's here have parakeets, finches, and diamond doves.

94lt1
08-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Folks .just be cautious of Petco. Despite what they want you to believe..they're all about the money. And they aren't careful about who they use for a vet....my GCC was at deaths door and had been labeled a BAD BIRD and was starved to the point where she was eating her own feces ...she just stood there..rocking back n forth... my wife worked for them for a short while...

They were receptive at first as far as doing something for the birds that were sick or unhappy...but when it became an issue...they had an issue...so...I made it a point to let corporate know...baahahahaha ..I dislike anybody that will just allow a bird to be sock and become sicker...that's what they do...

Wulfgeist
08-27-2013, 09:10 PM
I got my "Fancy Green Cheek" [they called it ] from Petco too. I guess its really a yellow sided . One of the things, everytime I went in there. He made great attempts to see me [I couldn't Ignore that ] . Now I run by the bird section [LOL]. I was just somewhere that had 4 Sunconures [that had been there awhile]. The staff was surprised they were all over me [they said they wernt friendly] . I think birds know if your a bird person. Of course leaving there [Im trying to figure out my conure room !] ;) Im kinda glad theres less birds in Ny to come across [I would be in serious trouble].

I know what you mean. I was enchanted with Tico because he was waving to me .:good-morning-signbo I usually run to the PetSmart down the other side of town, I didn't realize the PetCo was rather close. They didn't have my litter genie refills and the guy said they havent' gotten any in in a while so that was a strike against them but PetSmart has little in the way of critters to look at.

And Brandon I understand what you mean. I have heard some pretty bad horror stories from people who have worked in chain stores like that.

I wonder what Tico would think if another cage and conure showed up next to his? (after quarantine of course). I wish I lived somewhere stable so I wouldn't always have to worry about the hunt for a place that lets me keep my zoo in the event I have to move.

Blancaej
08-28-2013, 01:30 AM
I am not going to go into it too much but I had a heated discussion with a petco store manager about the birds not having perches in the cages. They just put them in new enclosures and it was clear the birds were uncomfortable and had no proper place to perch! I could tell he really didn't care, but I gave him an ear full in either case. He tried to tell me he called "his experts" and they told him to take everything out of the new cages so they wouldn't be frightened because they were all nervous going in the new cages. So they had a ladder and bowls. That was it. It was clear they didn't not like the ladders. They were not high enough up for them to feel protected. Even told me "the experts" have degrees in these areas (as if to tell me I had no clue what I was talking about). I told him I didn't care if they had degrees, I've had birds for 15 years!! One simple perch near the top was all I was asking then to change, so the birds weren't perching on top of little hinges and cuttlebone! They looked so horribly uncomfortable! I was soooo mad when I left the store. The guy was full of you know what!!

Anyway, this happened several weeks ago. I was mad all day about it. I went today and the cages were all back to normal the the birds were pretty happy. I really don't know if they took my advice that day and at least added one perch to each cage or not. Oh well, hopefully some of what I said sunk in. We can only hope I suppose!

tiffnmango
08-28-2013, 03:11 PM
I think birds know if your a bird person.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! I don't know how many times I've come across birds that immediately just flock to me (no pun intended haha) for example...last time the exotic bird fair was in town I was hold a baby African grey when all of the sudden a sulphur crested cockatoo flew to my shoulder from across the room and sat on my shoulder. Then before I knew what was happening I had a him on one shoulder and a severe macaw flew to my other shoulder. The booth owner was shocked. He said I've never seen that happen! It made my day!

Pinkbirdy
08-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Tiffany ,I hear birds see colors more vividly [and that we have a color aura around us] They must like your colors !!!! ;)

Mare
08-29-2013, 06:04 PM
That is so cool, Tiffany! I think Terri is right :)! I've been to a few Petco stores and have found some to be better than others as far as the caring folks that work there. The pet store I use to get my bird's pellets, etc., has a parrot section and I'm always appalled at the way these birds are set up. One perch! its not even a perch that goes all the way across the cage, it's about 8 inches long! if they are lucky they have one itty bitty toy. I've complained to the kids that work there and some agree that these birds should have more going on inside their cage but it wasn't up to them, it was up to the owner, who wasn't there at the moment and would be in when they opened the next morning. I called him, then. My concern helped very little. It fell on deaf ears.

I now avoid the bird section, it just makes me mad :( and I don't think I would ever buy a bird from them because I know they would replace it with another one that had to deal with this sorry situation. Then again, I feel like it would be doing these birds a favor to get them out of there! Ugh..I need to find a store that does not sell birds!!

MarshallSpears
09-03-2013, 02:05 AM
I saw my first Sun Conure at PetCo 8 years ago and fell in love. I couldn't get one then because I was living with my parents and couldn't afford it. In June I went to the same PetCo and fell in love with a Sun Conure. They weren't selling him yet because they were still hand feeding him. The manager there always gives the Sun Conures there time out of their enclosures every day in the form of shoulder rides. I had them call me when he was ready and I bought him. Best decision ever! He has been such a joy! From day 1 he has spent anywhere from 3 to 6 hours out of his cage with me when I'm not at work! His name is Apollo. The employees at Pet Smart were very helpful. I could have waited 2 months and got one half price from a breeder in town but I saw Apollo and fell in love. I had to have him!

Pinkbirdy
09-03-2013, 02:26 AM
I saw my first Sun Conure at PetCo 8 years ago and fell in love. I couldn't get one then because I was living with my parents and couldn't afford it. In June I went to the same PetCo and fell in love with a Sun Conure. They weren't selling him yet because they were still hand feeding him. The manager there always gives the Sun Conures there time out of their enclosures every day in the form of shoulder rides. I had them call me when he was ready and I bought him. Best decision ever! He has been such a joy! From day 1 he has spent anywhere from 3 to 6 hours out of his cage with me when I'm not at work! His name is Apollo. The employees at Pet Smart were very helpful. I could have waited 2 months and got one half price from a breeder in town but I saw Apollo and fell in love. I had to have him!
Sometimes I think its the right bird [no matter the situation] :) I have 2 conures that are newer to me . I cant seem to figure these guys out. They beat the crap out of us [and their just playing] ;) They also go to great lengths to be with me as much as they can:) Your guy sounds great though !

ShellyBorg
09-03-2013, 02:33 AM
I love that I found a holistic pet store that was willing to carry my Roudybush. They are slowly building a bird area and do not believe in selling pets of any type!

Honesty
09-03-2013, 07:14 AM
I saw my first Sun Conure at PetCo 8 years ago and fell in love. I couldn't get one then because I was living with my parents and couldn't afford it. In June I went to the same PetCo and fell in love with a Sun Conure. They weren't selling him yet because they were still hand feeding him. The manager there always gives the Sun Conures there time out of their enclosures every day in the form of shoulder rides. I had them call me when he was ready and I bought him. Best decision ever! He has been such a joy! From day 1 he has spent anywhere from 3 to 6 hours out of his cage with me when I'm not at work! His name is Apollo. The employees at Pet Smart were very helpful. I could have waited 2 months and got one half price from a breeder in town but I saw Apollo and fell in love. I had to have him!Welcome to the forum Marshall:) We would love to see some pics of your Sun Conure.

Debra
09-03-2013, 02:45 PM

Welcome Marshall and Apollo! It's good to have you here. I would love to learn more about you both and we all love pics!

94lt1
11-24-2013, 06:49 PM
An addition to this..rain my cinnamon green cheek, was listed as a fancy..she was abused and lived by eating her own filth!! She was covered in slime and has a bald patch on her head ...the vet says probably damaged from that slime...

Petco is a terrible place...buyer beware...

spiritbird
11-24-2013, 09:17 PM
I work at Petco and the birds are well cared for. I even bring in greens and nuts for them. I think it is different in stores. If the manager is a good one and cares about the animals in the store it does make a difference.

94lt1
04-01-2014, 02:03 AM
Not trying to pick a fight. But I can assure you that the majority of petco stores know nothing about treating or caring for birds.. I'm glad your store is different. My wife thought this one would be different too.. Until sick parakeets were written off as a starter bird and not given proper vet care.. And I'll not get started about Rain..