PDA

View Full Version : Wallaman Falls

gemini_84
08-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Here are a couple of pics of the waterfall i went to see last weekend. the pics were taken on my phone so they do it no justice. it was absolutely beautiful.
a little information on it.
It is the highest permanent single drop waterwall in Australia. The fall itself if i remember correctly is 268m (a little over 804ft) and is 540m (1620ft) above sea level.
The sound it made was amazing and as the water reached the bottom of the fall it was like a smokey mist, i was mesmerized. You can hike down to the bottom of the falls, but unfortunately due to my back i was unable too. The pool at the bottom is 20m (60ft) deep.
Ok enough boring information, here are the pics.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

i didnt take to many as i was extremely hung over, and standing at the edge was making feel queezy.

gemini_84
08-24-2013, 11:32 PM
what i did fail to mention is the wild life that can be found here, but i didnt see any.
the national park/ rainforest that this fall is in, is the natural habitat for the lovely but nasty cassowary, the creek is home to our beautiful elusive platypus, the saw shell turtle (i did see a group of 5 of these) eastern water dragon among many others.
we did do one of the small walks along the creek thru the rainforest, the boys had walked ahead and every time i heard a rustle in the trees i was expecting to get attacked by a cassowary.

Pinkbirdy
08-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Holy Cow !!! That waterfall is amazing . Way better than the ones I go to . Whats a cassowary?

Debra
08-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Amazing! I would love to see that in person.

Terri -- there is a post on the cassowary on here in one of the forums.

plax
08-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Holy Cow !!! That waterfall is amazing . Way better than the ones I go to . Whats a cassowary?A Cassowary is a huge land bird with iridescent bluish feathers and a tall horn structure on its head. They have been known to stalk humans and kill them with their feet (if I'm not mistaken). I doubt you'll want to add one of them to your flock, Terri ;)

Breathtaking photos btw, Amanda :)

Pinkbirdy
08-25-2013, 02:48 AM
Had to look that one up [they are pretty]. But birds stalking and attacking humans [AHHHH!)

Turquoise
08-25-2013, 03:49 AM
Amanda, those are gorgeous photos of the waterfall!! As I've said before, waterfalls are my most favorite water source. :th_hug8: That was very interesting how tall the falls are and the wildlife found around it. Thanks for adding it. :th_biggrin:

Terri, I put a thread up on the Cassowary birds last week (I think). I had never read much about them, tho I did know what they were & looked like. I was amazed at how mean & dangerous they can be. They remind me of a prehistoric bird. Something like a smaller version of the Volosaraptors (have no idea how to spell it & auto spell doesn't either) in the 1st Jurassic Park movie! :th_eek:

Honesty
08-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Wow! That is stunning.

spiritbird
08-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Your photos are magnificent! Do you remember the waterfalls in the movie Last of Mohicans? The sound as well as the sight was awesome too!

Blancaej
08-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Absolutely beautiful!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

coltfire
08-25-2013, 10:23 PM
nice shots , would be nice to dive off that one,lol

plax
08-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Wendy just told me that someone closed this thread. It wasn't me, but I've re-opened it. My guess is that one of our staff members accidentally double-clicked the icon. That's all it takes ;)

Turquoise
08-26-2013, 03:39 AM
Wasn't me either. This is the first time I've been on this thread since posting in it yesterday.

Mare
08-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Great photos, Amanda, waterfalls have always been my favorites, also. With the spring snow melt in Yosemite, we have raging ones that not only soak you from hundreds of feet away but the power of all this water hitting bottom, produces a wind of its own. Love them!