PDA

View Full Version : An excerpt from "Life with Mi Amigo"

Mare
08-24-2013, 04:37 PM
I've started a story on our life with this bird, here is a piece of it.

[[ We're all packed up saying our goodbyes, Amigo is in his travel cage, sitting next to my son in the back seat, I hop in the drivers seat, pull out the drive, look in my rear-view mirror and see Carol and her son hopping up and down, giving each other a high five! Hmm...okaaay, by now, I'm REALLY starting to wonder what we may have gotten ourselves into!]]

mrgoogls
08-24-2013, 04:42 PM
cant wait to hear it!

Honesty
08-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Looking forward to reading this Mare:)

Blancaej
08-24-2013, 06:17 PM
That would certainly have me thinking twice! LOL! But it all worked out, didn't it? ;)

JadeC
08-25-2013, 12:32 AM
You should write a short story. Is that what you're doing? I would buy it at the book store!

Mare
08-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Yes, Jade! I am writing a short story. Life with this bird has been beyond belief, at times. I just figured it would make a good read.:)

Turquoise
08-25-2013, 03:03 AM
:ROFLMAODog: I already love it!! Can't wait for more & like Jade~~I'm ready to buy the book!!

You are going to give all us members first chance to buy before it hits the bookstores & sells out in the 1st hour aren't ya'? :th_biggrin:

Mare
08-25-2013, 04:51 AM
[[ I get out of the shower on day three and I could hear the house moaning! I throw on a robe, run upstairs to find Amigo sitting on the window sill with a huge pile of splinters on the floor! He pulls a long piece of wood out of his beak, WITH his foot, and says, "Hi There!" I laughed till I cried, it was so horrifyingly sad (because I knew my husband, Tim, was going to kill me), and funny, all at the same time. I didn't know he would climb off his cage, (ok, now we are moving in to pathetic), and also, endearing..he said his first words. I felt like a proud mama. ]]

Turquoise
08-25-2013, 05:16 AM
Love it!!! I bet everyone who reads that can relate at some time or another while living with our feathered kids.

I think Amigo was telling you in his own way how much he was (as glad as your friend, his former owner) that you liberated him to a better life.:th_heart:

Honesty
08-25-2013, 07:13 AM
This is getting me rooted to my computer each day, waiting for the next installment:)

Debra
08-25-2013, 12:12 PM
This is great! Will this come in e-book too??

Mare
08-26-2013, 04:19 AM
I'm really enjoying going through the memory banks of my mind and doing this story. It has been a long road in these short five years, to get to where we are today.

[ He sensed that I was afraid of him and that didn't help with anything. If I would get close to him, his head feathers would shoot up and that made me back off. Learning to read your bird, (I discovered down the road), is the magic key to "peace". Finding this "peace" was daunting and unfathomable. How, how do we do this?! I had no clue. ]

JadeC
08-26-2013, 04:49 PM
I just love reading about you two :) Is Sassy gonna be in there at the end?

Mare
08-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Thank you, Jade, Sassy and Chip will definitely be there, heck yeah! :th_biggrin:

Mare
08-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Debra, I don't even know what an e-book is! Once my story is a collected piece, this is when I will start working with my niece and this is when I'll know where to go :)

Mare
09-02-2013, 08:21 PM
This story is from a while ago that I wrote on a forum.
It will be in my final draft :). Amigo has taught me that life means, always adjusting to it's self!

Amigo scares the PG&E meter reader guy!
PG&E, (electric), has a new young man on their meter reading route. The other utility people know of Amigo and are comfortable with him, now.

I heard his truck pull in, the dogs went off. I'll always walk outside when someone comes into the yard, if I'm here. The electric pole/meter is a little ways from the house but I can see it from the deck. Here...comes...Amigo, to investigate the goings on. This guy gets out of his truck, with paperwork in hand, turns around to get back in his truck and Amigo, who at this time is setting on the roof of the truck, right next to his door, lets out his blood curdling screams, starts doing his wing flapping move, (to scare off predators) and I hear HOLY F**K!!! The guy stumbles and almost falls down!

I ran down the hill, moved Amigo off and apologized to the poor guy. He said that he almost had a heart attack. We talked for a while and Amigo came back to my shoulder. The electric man and Amigo have now been introduced. It didn't stop Amigo from following his truck up the drive, yelling the whole way! Never a dull moment...

coltfire
09-02-2013, 10:16 PM
i love it Mare i can just picture him stumbling backwards, especially if you have never heard the scream of a umbrella too, :ROFLMAODog:

kendrafitz
09-04-2013, 10:48 AM
OMG!! I am sitting in our vacation rental trying to be quiet as I am the only loon up this early. I am thoroughly enjoying your post and then get to the pg&e story. Literally laughing out loud, can't stop giggling. Mare, that is hysterical!! Not sure how the other two families will feel about it, as my laughing had caused some movement in the other parts of the house. Can't wait to read more!!!

Thank you for the early morning laugh!!!!

jacksmom
09-04-2013, 03:18 PM
This is fantastic!!! I had hoped that was where this was going while I was reading - the book - it is a great idea!!! :D

And it gave me a good read while Jack goes through testing what can get my attention (now that he has it all again) after Paris went to live with Shelly! :banghead:

(JK, I welcome it!)

Turquoise
09-05-2013, 09:12 AM
:th_rofl: I can just see the scenario playing out when the poor meter reader thought he was being attacked by a white flying banshee screaming his rants of Black Magic at him. :th_biggrin:

Mare
09-11-2013, 04:47 AM
[ My watch"bird", Amigo
Our dogs are getting old and lazy. We have had a coyote come up close to the house, several times recently and it's scary because they have been known to grab our cats. I'm on the phone, in the house, looking out the window and I see this coyote behind the garage. Amigo is outside and his alarm goes off, BIG time! The dogs are sleeping on the deck, clueless, and Amigo flys over to the apricot tree, near where this coyote is, and starts screaming bloody murder! I ran out, the dogs could barely lift their heads to see who was disturbing them and the coyote was long gone by the time I got over there. Love that watch-bird! ]

Our story is moving along, I can't believe how much there is to say! Every day has been an adventure!

coltfire
09-11-2013, 12:53 PM
as long as you keep putting them up we will read, and i know im am totally enjoy the story so far

Debra
09-11-2013, 03:17 PM
I look forward to these excerpts!

Blancaej
09-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Love the stories Mare! Keep them coming! :th_biggrin:

Mare
01-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Sorry, my story is jumping around a bit, I'm just pulling stuff out of my writings. One day you will be able to read a cohesive story. :). Until then...

[ I grew up in a loving home with a mother, father and six other siblings. I cannot remember one day of my life without some kind of animal, in it. We ran the gamut from dogs and cats to a stump-tail macaque monkey. You name it, we'd had it all, except for birds.

My husband comes from the same type of family, mom and dad, five other siblings, all kinds of critters BUT they had pigeons, that lived in the house, loose!

My husband and I have three grown children, that we love dearly and, with our children, have also had every critter from killer toads to emus but we had never experienced a large parrot except in aviaries at the zoo. There was nothing in our life experiences that had prepared us for,taking in, Amigo.]

Honesty
01-21-2014, 09:02 PM
We sit here in anticipation :)

Mare
01-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Amigo is sick :(

[ My daughter, Katie and I, drove my youngest son to San Francisco to catch a flight down to Oaxaca, Mexico. He was doing one quarter of his university school year, in Mexico. He had a late flight out so Kate and I got a room and that way we didn't have to drive at night.

My husband calls my cell, wakes me up before six a.m. "Amigo is flopping around on the bottom of his cage, looks like he's having a seizure, get home QUICK!" I'm a three and half hour drive from home and then..over an hour to his vet.

I yell into the phone, "GET HIM TO THE VET!!", "Can't do that, he gets more agitated when I get close, just GET HOME!"

Katie and I grab our gear, hop in the car and are on the road to home. I don't think I've ever felt like I needed to make a move so fast, in my whole life. The drive was stressful for me, thoughts going everywhere. After about an hour, Katie, my angel, (who was driving), asks if we have time to stop at Starbucks for coffee? I wanted to yell, NO! But of course, couldn't..

Hubby calls, "where are you?" We are still two hours out and Amigo is STILL having a seizure.]

Mare
01-21-2014, 11:05 PM
There is so much more that goes into my stories but I feel I can't say,,publicly :)

Mare
01-21-2014, 11:31 PM
There were many hateful folks on another parrot forum that were also hurtful. This is one episode, one of many run-ins I've had.

[ "As I understand it, Amigo was very unhappy in his cage, and they let him out... He didn't fly away, came home for meals etc... The reason he keeps coming back, is that he can't find another mate... Mare Miller is IT!
If you did the same in Australia, the bird would find a bird-mate, and you wouldn't see it again..."

Hi lene, I want you to know that I didn't JUST let Amigo out of his cage to fly away! It was a very long process to have him to where he is today. My husband and I made a conscious decision to free flight him, a very long and dedicated process.

He was my first bird and I knew NOTHING about him, I was trying to help a friend out with him. He ends up being a forever bird. We lived with Amigo for 2yrs. before, finally, realizing that this was not a bird meant to be captive.

We love Amigo, he is a big part of our family. It's a HUGE risk allowing your pet bird to fly free. There are many dangers out there. But to me,,his happiness, outweighs the dangers. This is my opinion.

One more thing...if I lived in Australia, I would be happy feeding cockatoos on my front deck! ]

spiritbird
01-22-2014, 12:11 AM
Thanks for re posting. Any more yet?

kendrafitz
01-22-2014, 12:34 AM
Mare, I love reading Amigo stories. They are one of the things I look forward to. So please, keep posting them as I think there a quite a few Amigo fans here!

I never get why people feel they have the right to judge someone else. That person and whoever else said hurtful things have their own issues. Lovely that they felt the need to project their misery unto you. :( There was a post on facebook going around that totally resonated with me. "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always." Wish the people who made you feel badly followed this.

Mare
01-22-2014, 12:53 AM
Thanks, Kendra. Being judgmental of someone is one of my peeves! That's ok, I feel good with myself and what we do with our birds. When in the "grip" of something that's coming at you on a forum, it can be like a storm coming in! I always try and take the high road but as my family will tell you...I can only climb so high!

spiritbird
01-22-2014, 01:09 AM
Well said Kendra.

coltfire
01-22-2014, 01:57 AM
people going off at you Mare have no idea of what they are talking about, what you do with Amigo is what he and you want and is no one else's business , if they dont like it they should keep the opinions to them self you are in no way harming him , what you are doing is giving him a life he was born for, and may i say keep the story coming love reading them.

Mare
01-22-2014, 02:25 AM
This is my quandary, Steve. Should I keep to myself for fear of being judged? NO!, NOPE! God knows, I don't give a hoot what others think but I do care about folks needing guidance. This is where I stumble..

Holy Moly! I guess I should just keep on keepin' on and let people follow! :th_biggrin:

Turquoise
01-22-2014, 05:24 AM
Mare I love your story excerpts, they give us on the outside looking in to yours and Amigo ' s world a small glimpse of what it is like. I think you have done a tremendous job with Amigo and in your writings and posts I have seen many times where you warn against someone thinking this is as easy as opening the door and setting your bird free to fly about.

I look up to you as a very strong person who has accomplished something most of us only dream about for our birds. I for one am too terrified of allowing any of my birds the freedom Amigo has. But then I have not made any attempts to train mine for the day they could be as happy. As long as you continue to warn and write about the long process you both have gone through to get to this place in your lives, I personally feel you are helping others in their struggle of wanting a better more free life for their parrot. And I think people will read your struggles and it will help them to understand this is not for everyone, especially not for the inexperienced bird owner!

Minamommy
01-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Mare first I don't know how old the story is, so is Amigo ok? Next I think you are incredibly brave to free flight your bird. NO ONE has the right to judge you weather it's your kids or your fids. So keep on keeping on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JadeC
01-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Yeah, is Amigo ok? What happened with his seizure!? The suspense is killing me!! Lol

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

coltfire
01-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Mare dont you listen to anyone's crap,what you are doing with Amigo is what is best for him and you,if he was not happy you would never see him again once you let him out..so you keep up the great work you are doing with him and keep writing the book.we all love it here and thats all that counts.

JadeC
01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Very will put, Steve. I agree. Do what's best for your bird and don't listen to other people's judgments. Only you know what's right for your bird.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Rita
01-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Hello Mare,

I liked this part of your story (day three!) about Amigo very much.
Oh my, he ruined the window-sill and then say to you as if it is totally normal to do that "Hi there". Fantastic.
Now I am anxious to know how your husband responded, but...................... |I know you still have Amigo, so............ that must have went rather well. LOL!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Rita

Mare
01-23-2014, 01:46 AM
Thanks guys and gals, yes, Steve, I will continue to do what I do with my birds. No one can stop me! :)
Amigo was diagnosed with Borna virus. This can attack his intestinal track and nervous system. There is no cure and he is on an anti inflammatory med, daily, for now. He recovered, very well, from his episode and at the moment the only thing that needs to be done straightaway is his toenails! Yes, Rita, Amigo is still here but after that episode with the window sill, I was wondering if "I" was still going to be here!

Minamommy
01-23-2014, 02:54 AM
I'm trying to figure out what to replace the woodwork with in Mina's room. Lol😄 I can sooo see that chewed up windowsill. They are so happy with their work.

Mare
01-23-2014, 03:09 AM
Holy Moly, Kim! These birds are artists! Amigo did HUGE damage to our deck railing and I sanded it down, will one day stain it but for now, to me, it is a work of art! The same is true on our floorboard trim in the bathroom :). We learn to live with these birds, live and learn, don't let them be unattended while in the house was #1 for me. If you don't want them eating the outside of your house, put up deterrents, #2!

Mare
01-29-2014, 06:35 AM
[Things that have pissed me off..

People on forums. People that act holier than thou and believe they know everything when in reality, NO person knows everything! People on forums that have NO idea of what it is to take on an aggressive, male umbrella cockatoo, who then moves into the realm of allowing this bird to be free while at the same time, trying to keep him a close member of their family. THIS, pisses me off, the judgement of some, is beyond belief.

I suppose my only real complaints would have to be the criticism I've taken from folks and not being able to relate to them. We are who we are and they are who they are but when there is no understanding in the middle, things go to hell in a bucket, in a hurry!]

spiritbird
01-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Your last posting should be a separate thread. Things that P me off........................

I would not be concerned about any other people who try to judge you. You are giving this Amigo a happy life be it short or long.
I salute you!!

Blancaej
01-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately, I find in the forum world we live in, that being judgemental is what some people do best. They live a life with blinders on and feel that there way is the right way and nothing else matters. They are living with a closed. mind and on top of it, they are nasty or rude while making their point. It's ok to have different ideas, but we should be able to share those ideas in a respectful way. We are all adults and you would think everyone can do that. But the sad truth is some people can't. It happens on all forums!

We know you are an awesome parront Mare! Don't let those type of people get to you, it's not worth it. I know easier said then done. :) If people would take the time to know peoples stories, they would enrich their soul and build many wonderful friendships!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mare
01-30-2014, 03:13 AM
Thanks Dianne and Blanca :). That last post will be in my final draft, that's why I posted it, Dianne. Blanca, in real time, I've not been on forums for very long and BOY, OH BOY, did I get a Christening! I don't exaggerate or lie about anything that goes on with our birds but I did get several warnings (from other forum) that maybe I shouldn't mention some things, which ends up being true because most folks don't, wouldn't, or prefer not to understand. This is when attack mode hits.

It's all good here, though. The painting I had done of Amigo, came last night and I'm so, so happy with it! I'm working on trying to bring it up online so I can post it. The artist, Troy, did an AMAZING job! :)