PDA

View Full Version : Big cats

JadeC
08-23-2013, 04:39 PM
So, I have always loved cats and that is my spirit animal. I feel like I can watch cats all day long. Haha Anyway, I really want one of these cats one day... Check out their breeding program and how they have taken the wild cats and bred them to be domestic!

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
08-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Wow! Those are quite the cats! The are huge! Thanks for sharing!

JadeC
08-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Wow! Those are quite the cats! The are huge! Thanks for sharing!

Big cats to match your big birds!! I would be terrified that it would eat Meiko! If I could afford to spend $5000 on a cat, I would probably have an outdoor cat enclosure and an outdoor aviary. Haha

Honesty
08-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Wow! Thats one very big cat! It looks very similar to a Bengal only bigger. My brother has a bengal.

JadeC
08-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Wow! Thats one very big cat! It looks very similar to a Bengal only bigger. My brother has a bengal.

That's the reason they breed them! So people can have a house cat that is similar to a wild cat without the danger of a wild one. Haha I've always wanted a lynx or an ocelot, but I'll probably save up for one of these guys one day! Where does your brother live?

Blancaej
08-23-2013, 06:26 PM
I was wondering the price tag on one of those! 5K is not as bad as I would have thought. LOL!

Rescued
08-23-2013, 06:45 PM
The problem with these guys is that they are still very much a predator. All cats even "domesticated" cats are not really tame, so much as they see the benefit of a human relationship for themselves. I can't imagine having one of them around my birds. They are often sweet and loving, but don't be surprised of they stalk and attack you, a kid, a pet. They are beautiful, but they belong in the wild. Just my 2 cents.

Debra
08-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Wow!! I want one!! I'm a cat person too. I just can't afford the price tag. I'm wondering too what size cat box they'd need. A normal litter box would be too small.

Mare
08-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Beautiful cats! Are they a cross between an ocelot and domestic? I don't recall reading what their cross is. Very interesting though, I had never heard of them, thanks for sharing!

Honesty
08-23-2013, 06:52 PM
That's the reason they breed them! So people can have a house cat that is similar to a wild cat without the danger of a wild one. Haha I've always wanted a lynx or an ocelot, but I'll probably save up for one of these guys one day! Where does your brother live?My brother lives here in the UK :)

Mare
08-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Wow!! I want one!! I'm a cat person too. I just can't afford the price tag. I'm wondering too what size cat box they'd need. A normal litter box would be too small.

Debra, when you find out, I need to know. Watson, the rabbit is squished in his!

JadeC
08-23-2013, 07:23 PM
The problem with these guys is that they are still very much a predator. All cats even "domesticated" cats are not really tame, so much as they see the benefit of a human relationship for themselves. I can't imagine having one of them around my birds. They are often sweet and loving, but don't be surprised of they stalk and attack you, a kid, a pet. They are beautiful, but they belong in the wild. Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't get an ocelot or anything but these cats are 12-13 generations domesticated. I don't trust my domestic cat around my bird, and definitely wouldn't trust these guys, but I would trust them in the house with me. If you read on the site, they are very good with kids. The website specifically states that they could *not* survive in the wild and she does not recommend keeping them as outdoor cats. These cats are bred to be companion animals with a wild look. They are domestic cats. If you don't consider "domestic" cats really domesticated, you could say the same about dogs or any other animal. Dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc, are all unpredictable. Sometimes you get bite, or scratched or pounced on. It comes with owning an animal.

JadeC
08-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Beautiful cats! Are they a cross between an ocelot and domestic? I don't recall reading what their cross is. Very interesting though, I had never heard of them, thanks for sharing!

On the website it says she crossed an ocelot and domestic cat. Also crossed a jungle cat with a domestic. There are like 4 different crosses but the ones she sells are all like 12-13 generations domesticated. She breeds the ones that come out with the wildest look and breeds them with a house cat that has the same type look to get the wild looking coats and characteristics. None of them are actual cross breeds.

Rescued
08-23-2013, 07:54 PM
I do totally understand the breeding behind these guys. A lot of animals that are kept, are not domestic, Parrots, reptiles, and many others aren't domesticated at all, just tamed. I have had a lot of success "taming" feral cats, but I do know that if they were hungry and big enough they would eat me. That doesn't make me love them less, I just struggle with breeding animals that are already overpopulated in general, not to mention taking "wild" animals and adding them to the gene pool. I suppose I just don't get it. They are beautiful and regal looking, no question there. I am sorry if I touched on something that offended you.

That being said, the breeder is dead wrong assuming that the cats couldn't survive in the wild. Most cats, small or large are great survivors and I would bet that these guys would do just as well. They are amazingly instinctive and bright.

Rescued
08-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Mare. you could look into a flat(er) rubbermaid container like the ones made for under the bed for the bunny.

JadeC
08-23-2013, 08:17 PM
I do totally understand the breeding behind these guys. A lot of animals that are kept, are not domestic, Parrots, reptiles, and many others aren't domesticated at all, just tamed. I have had a lot of success "taming" feral cats, but I do know that if they were hungry and big enough they would eat me. That doesn't make me love them less, I just struggle with breeding animals that are already overpopulated in general, not to mention taking "wild" animals and adding them to the gene pool. I suppose I just don't get it. They are beautiful and regal looking, no question there. I am sorry if I touched on something that offended you.

That being said, the breeder is dead wrong assuming that the cats couldn't survive in the wild. Most cats, small or large are great survivors and I would bet that these guys would do just as well. They are amazingly instinctive and bright.

Nah, you didn't offend or anything. I was just saying that I don't think any cats should be trusted around birds because they are prey animals. Dogs too. I'm sure they could survive in the city and wild, but they wouldn't thrive. They would survive.

Rescued
08-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Absolutely, I wouldn't trust my predatory animals with either my birds or my pig.