PDA

View Full Version : Paris Needs A Mate (Human)

jacksmom
08-23-2013, 01:11 PM
My lovely female blue and gold, Paris, absolutely hates my boy, Jack. I have plugged along for a long time, trying to be mates for both birds...but although I hoped to have time for two if they wound up not liking each other...I just don't. If I take one, the other yells, if I take both, they lunge at each other any time I stand between them.

And I won't have a bird, or any animal, suffer for lack of anything, even if that is just attention - but sadly, this means giving up my sweet girl...She will deal with re-homing better than Jack, I am sure of it.

Please don't make me feel bad about this, I feel horrible enough already...feel like I am abandoning her. I just want her to have a proper mate, she has so much love to give...

Anyway, I guess if you need a cage I would have to charge for that...I don't particularly want to give up my cage in case I need it again. I will, though, if it means getting Paris a GOOD home. Besides that, I have maybe about 500 into her including vet costs, and that is all I will ask...but due to her very cheap re-homing fee, please do not bother asking for her unless you are an individual looking for a PET bird. If you are a bird "rescue", I am not interested in giving her up for any amount of money, I have never seen a rescue provide what I would consider a good life for a parrot.

Thanks everyone...please help me find a good home for her!!!

Debra
08-23-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you must do this. I applaud you for doing what is right for each bird.

Rescued
08-23-2013, 01:34 PM
It may help if you gave a location. Are you in the states? if so where?

jacksmom
08-23-2013, 02:20 PM
I am so sorry...I'm a little rattled/upset...yeah, location may help!

I am in Raleigh, NC...and I am happy to work with anyone on price or shipping...again, if it is a really good home. I can't stress that enough. She already has a mediocre home, more of that she doesn't need...

Oh! And Paris is ten years old, with a VERY wide vocabulary. If anyone ever dreamed of a "talker" macaw, she is your dream. She has already picked up several phrases from us to add to her list, including a bright "Good Morning!" when you go in to feed breakfast. She enjoys her macaw chop, it was easy to get her to eat fruit, veg, bean, what have you...even though she came to us on an all pellet diet. She looked AWFUL, very dingy and feathers all shredded. Here is this pretty girl now -

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

And honestly, she looks even better now, lol. We do not EVER shirk on care around here...I just know I can't give her the attention she will need when my work schedule changes in about a month. Let me know any other questions, thanks!

Honesty
08-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Sorry to hear this Grace:( I hope you manage to find Paris a lovely home.

jacksmom
08-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Honesty...it was a really tough decision...and Jack really needs more time than Paris, he is a demanding and boisterous male...Paris is more ready to be someone's sweet girl. She bonded deeply to me within a week after having the same owner for almost ten years...and I know if I could teach someone her "steps of permission" and the voice best used to coax her (soft, sweet) she would adapt to someone else just as easy. I am thinking of making a vid, lol...easy 1, 2, 3 get Paris to love you steps. ;)

Honesty
08-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Hopefully you are able to find a loving home for her.

Pinkbirdy
08-24-2013, 02:32 AM
I know Shelly , would really ,really like a Macaw [I wish she was on ] . I would try to talk to her. Paris is lovely :). Its to bad she cant adjust after all this time. Is she able to entertain herself on her own [without you]. When your present , is she all worked up trying to figure out how to be with you ? [should have a thread on here on bird jealousy] . Your other bird might be a little sad when she goes. Love Macaws [I live in New York].

jacksmom
08-24-2013, 01:07 PM
No, she doesn't really entertain herself, has little to no interest in toys. She simply waits for me, and yes, flushes red and will do anything to get to me. I know she could just as easily have this bond with another human, as fast as she bonded to me.

Don't really think Jack will be sad, lol...he will probably throw a party. I am not kidding, these birds seriously hate each other. Bad. I have done everything I possibly could to try and fix it...but I have to face facts...they hate even being around each other, and each wish the other would just go away. :(

Shelly? Do you have a good home for precious Paris? :)

Pinkbirdy
08-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Shelly hasn't been on . Im trying to get ahold of her :)

Blancaej
08-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Grace, I am really sorry to hear it didn't work out. I can see you are trying to do what's best for Paris. I would be totally for it, but I am rehoming a b&g in October. 10 year old female as well. Funny how weird coincidences happen! I too think Shelly would be a great choice! Hopefully Terri can get ahold of her for you!

Pinkbirdy
08-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Grace, I am really sorry to hear it didn't work out. I can see you are trying to do what's best for Paris. I would be totally for it, but I am rehoming a b&g in October. 10 year old female as well. Funny how weird coincidences happen! I too think Shelly would be a great choice! Hopefully Terri can get ahold of her for you! Maybe shes out backpacking with her goats11 LOL

jacksmom
08-25-2013, 04:47 PM
That would be fantastic, I am not at all hung up on price, would love at least her vet costs back, (bills, sigh) but can provide detailed paperwork on her blood tests, so on. She was quarantined and tested before being introduced to Jack, and so was he. :)

Thanks for being so understanding and helpful, everyone...I know Paris can be someone's dream bird...these two are both dream birds...too bad they absolutely hate each other, and I would up really not having time to have two pet birds thinking I am their mate and hating each other. :/ I will be very happy to see her in a new home...another reason I chose to re-home her instead of Jack is she doesn't really like to fly...and probably wouldn't even notice if her wings were clipped again. ;) Jack, on the other hand...quite the aviator, he would be very depressed.

Blancaej
08-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Terri - You never know! LOL!

Grace - I'm sure you will find her a good home. Like I said, Shelly would be an awesome choice. Hopefully she will be back on soon! :)

jacksmom
08-25-2013, 07:04 PM
We thought of a guy that may work...he is sort of a lonely nice older gay man, spends a lot of time sitting on a screened in porch alone. I am thinking he needs a sweet girl to keep him company...he does have some health issues, but is financially stable and his health issues aren't life threatening, just keeps him home a lot. We called him today, but he hasn't gotten back yet...probably went to lunch after church or something. I worry about him being older some...but he does have many younger friends that could see to Paris (and even bring her back here if necessary) if he ever was not able to care for her.

Anyway, yeah...a good home...to someone! She is a real gem, she deserves the very best I can find her. I am sorry it isn't with me, but this girl needs a human mate...not an aviary with a bird she hates while she competes for the favor of her mate. I know when I am beat. ;)

Please keep trying to reach anyone you guys think would be good...if any of you dreaming of having a macaw folks are shy about making an offer - please don't be...the most important thing here is a good home for this girl. Money is negotiable. :)

Pinkbirdy
08-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Please hang on.Im RIDICULOUS about my birds .But I would feel totally confident with Shelly.The reason Im pushing this is I watch her search in trying to get a Macaw . She seems to really want this species.

Blancaej
08-25-2013, 11:54 PM
I agree! She has been looking a long time!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pinkbirdy
08-26-2013, 12:47 AM
Shelly,I believe has worked in a zoo. Most of her birds are rehomes.She does her own grooming [and I think other peoples] Can you imagine trying to clip someones elses bird [that cant be easy].I was real impressed with a Amazon she took in [seemed to easily figure him out]. I think she would be the one with the experience and know how [to handle Paris].

coltfire
08-26-2013, 01:17 AM
i wished i live close i would take her in with a second thought, so sorry it isn't working out with pair and jack, i hope and pray you find her a good home.

Turquoise
08-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Awww I too am sorry you are having to re-home Paris. I can understand completely.:th_hug8:

Sure hope you find a great home for Paris. She looks so sweet & she's a good age. Over the terrible twos stage. I love macaws too, so I really hope Paris gets the attention she craves with her new human or family. :th_biggrin:

I don't know anyone personally who is looking for a macaw right now, wished I did.

jacksmom
08-26-2013, 04:52 PM
She is a great age for macaw - and has dealt with a lot in her life to not become a plucker or a biter. Well, lol, as long as you don't push the princess out of her comfort zone, she won't nip you...but her signs are clear as day to me...and probably would be to Shelly, also, based on the reviews of her experience. I got nailed twice in the first week...and only once since then, totally my fault of course. She is always eager to cuddle, talk, interact in any way.

Can't wait forever, obviously, not fair to either of these guys...but I will try to hang on for the best home of course! Ah, Shelly, where are ya, lol?

ShellyBorg
08-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Hello! :D my internet got knocked out over the weekend. I would love to talk to you about Paris! I have a cage and playstand. I work at home and have lots of time for a Macaw. My dream would be to train one to wear a harness so they could do day hikes with me. Please let me know. I will PM you my phone number.

Blancaej
08-27-2013, 01:10 AM
So glad you finally saw this Shelly!

Rescued
08-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Wish I had the room, I've been watching trying to think of how to make things work, I do hope that it all works out and she can find her forever home.

jacksmom
08-27-2013, 11:41 AM
She has found the best home!!! You guys weren't kidding about Shelly, that is EXACTLY who I want to have Paris. We were both practically GIDDY on the phone last night, lol...Shelly because she will soon have her "dream bird", and me because I will soon have my own pet bird back - my silly clown Jack-attack, who just could never bear sharing me. And I can daydream about Par-bear riding comfortably on a goat, tethered safely by a harness, and chatting away a mile a minute to her best friend, Shelly. I. Am. So. Happy. And yeah, I cried...but it was a happy cry - so relieved she will have not only the care she deserves, but time around a human that she craves!

I called all our friends who love our birds and told them, everyone approves (Paris had many fans) and is very happy for her, excited for her that she will have the best possible life. And Shelly really needed a bird like Paris, also - so ready for harness training, and so human-focused...this sweet girl does nothing but wait for her chosen human - and what luck, Shelly has long hair - it will be no time until she hears a southern drawl of "Wassup, guuurl" coming out of Princess Paris - she has a real affinity for soft voices and females with long hair. :) I giggled to think of Paris in California displaying her southern drawl! :D

We have to finish working out the arrangements, but it's happening - and Shelly promised to check in here periodically and remind me I made a good choice with pics of Paris in her new fun life! I can't wait to see the Princess riding a goat! ;)

I am so grateful to you guys for helping me find a better home for her than I ever dreamed...I am so relieved. I had been starting to have nightmares about what would become of her. Slept like a BABY last night. Thank you, Precisely Parrots...I am forever grateful!!!!

Honesty
08-27-2013, 01:23 PM
I am so happy for you Grace and I am so pleased Shelly is going to be the new Parront for Paris. You could not have wished for a better home for her:)

The best part of all is you can see her progress on here, as I pretty am sure Shelly will post lots of pics:)

Blancaej
08-27-2013, 01:35 PM
That is awesome news! I am so happy for you both. :D

I truly believe Paris has found a perfect home!! :D:D

Shelly and Paris will have a great time together! I am so excited for both of them! :D

ShellyBorg
08-27-2013, 01:46 PM
You slept! I was up all night with nervous energy! I can't wait to get her here! Thank you so much for given me the chance with a amazing bird!

Debra
08-27-2013, 04:11 PM
What wonderful news! Congratulations to all three of you! Grace for finding a wonderful home for Paris, Shelly for getting her dream bird, and Paris for getting that wonderful home!

jacksmom
08-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Yup, and dreamed sweet dreams of Paris happy and healthy years from now, and me with my clown back - convinced he is number one top boy! ;) I was very animated with nervous energy for a bit - but I burnt a lot of that out on the phone, pacing back and forth, back and forth! :)

I went to Petsmart today (my friend's employee discount wasn't all that at Petco) and looked at several different size carriers, and realized those 22 inch long carriers don't seem as large when they are all closed in - her 22 inch travel cage is open wire, so her tail has room to poke out a little, lol. Maybe we should go for a 30inch long...would be a little ridiculously tall...any help anyone can give at which carrier is the best for a macaw with lovely long tailfeathers - without going much over $50 or getting out of the "medium dog" guideline...the airline will charge us more if we go too big...

Yes, really cool you can go back and see her from when she first came to me, to now, then with her new life with Shelly, all on here. I have started to think of this as her foster home - where she got landed for a bit that was better than where she was - with some kind people who meant well while she waited on her best home, meant for her - and I am set convinced - this bird has been waiting for you, Shelly, as much as you have been waiting for her. :) Her previous owners were never going to find you in California, though - so she was sent to me for a minute. :)

Pinkbirdy
08-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Im so glad you updated us !! It was starting to feel like a movie !! :) Congrats to everyone!!

plax
08-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Grace: Salsa shipped from Chicago to me here on the West Coast in one of the plastic kennel carriers meauring 28 x 20.5 x 21.5 inches. And his long tail looked as good as new after a few days. (If that's helpful at all.)

jacksmom
08-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Yes, thank you Plax! I think we should go with the 30 inch, or maybe I can find another that is 28 like yours was. Sunday is planned as the big day - everyone send calming healing thoughts to Paris Sunday as she will undoubtedly be quite alarmed! Does anyone see a problem with me putting her towel from her travel cage in there with her? She actually loves her travel cage...goes right in and busies herself with getting the towel spread just right, muttering happily to herself. I think if she had her towel she would be more comfortable in an unfamiliar carrier and place...

Honesty
08-27-2013, 10:03 PM
We will all be thinking of Paris on Sunday and will be sitting here on tender hooks waiting to hear that it all went smoothly :th_hug8:

plax
08-27-2013, 10:11 PM
You might consider putting her towel in there and allowing her to go inside of the carrier on her own a couple of times to investigate and organize/play with the towel. If she will do that, then she should have even less trouble on shipping day. I have always had a dowel perch mounted to the sidewall of the plastic at a very low level for the bird to grasp onto. It should be just high enough to slip newspaper or a towel underneath.

coltfire
08-27-2013, 11:19 PM
so so happy she is going to Shelly , Grace i can feel how relieved you must be now that you have found the best home for her, and yes i want to see pics of her tracking with the goats too.

Pinkbirdy
08-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Grace :When shipping you want to wire in fruit and vegs in case theirs a delay in the flight [ and shes in the carrier awhile]

ShellyBorg
08-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Yes her towel would be great! And if we need to go higher on the kennel I will work it out!

jacksmom
08-28-2013, 01:25 AM
It's okay Shelly, the bigger carrier is only 10 more, so long as it doesn't make her flight cost go up we are good. :)

Plax, my vet told me to never put a perch in a carrier, he said he has mended many a broken beak from a bird standing on a perch in a carrier and falling off...

Fruit and veg is a good idea! She probably won't eat, but it would make me feel better to know it is in there.

Glad everyone likes the towel idea...know that will comfort her...and yes, we will put her in and let her play in it and arrange it a few times before, I am sure that will help also! :)

Turquoise
08-28-2013, 01:40 AM
That's great news Grace that you found the person you were thinking Paris should have for her forever Mom. I look forward to seeing the update photos & writings about Paris from Shelly as well. :th_biggrin:

I thought I'd add a photo of my Ruby Jewel in her flight carrier right after we got home with her. She flew in from Washington state to me in Texas this past April. It was a 9 1/2 hr trip for her with one layover in Chicago. Her flight came in right on time and she was waiting for us at the United counter making sweet pert-pert sounds. Then she had to ride another 200 miles to get to our home by car. We got home around 12:30am & she was in her new enclosure by 2:00am. She took it all instride with no problems as you can tell eating a peanut I gave her when I opened her carrier. Her breeder Mom tied the apple & grapes to the side of her carrier for moisture and she had pellets in her yellow bowl on the other side. The piece of wood Ruby Jewel is standing on was secured by screws from the side for her to stand on.

Hope all goes well & she makes it to California without a hitch. Sending Good Karma to all three of you!!:th_hug8:

plax
08-28-2013, 02:39 AM
Plax, my vet told me to never put a perch in a carrier, he said he has mended many a broken beak from a bird standing on a perch in a carrier and falling off...In that case I'll have to disagree with your vet, Grace. But perhaps you misunderstood my suggestion. A bird can't fall from a perch structure mounted along the floor of a carrier. The perch will simply be too low to present that particular hazard. That's why I said: "It should be just high enough to slip newspaper or a towel underneath."

Basis for thought:
If a transport carrier containing a bird is abruptly slammed into by another object, or if it happens to be dropped or otherwise falls and the bird has no solid structure with which to grasp and anchor itself, logic holds that the bird will begin to flail its wings while tumbling/sliding/slamming around inside said carrier. That said, such tumbling and flailing events are what are most likely to result in injury to a bird during transport. If, on the other hand, the bird has a perch structure to grasp that's mounted near the floor of the carrier (as Ruby Jewel does in De'Andrea's photo, and as Salsa did during his trip from Illinois, and as Zaffer did when he flew to me from Indiana back in 2005), the bird can anchor itself if/when the carrier is jarred or slammed. Hopefully that adequately clarifies my point.

ShellyBorg
08-28-2013, 03:27 AM
OK cage is ready, trip to Sacramento is set up and I don't think I will sleep for the rest of the week!

jacksmom
08-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Hmm. Well, I don't like disagreeing with Dr. Dan...for good reason, he is one of the top Avian vets in the country...he gives lectures all over the US, very respected. If he says he mended broken beaks from this, I'm not in a hurry to call him a liar...but that being said I have no idea how high the perches in question were mounted, so on. He also disliked harnesses (same reason, mending broken beaks) until I showed him the aviator. (Best harness ever) Even the licensed experts can benefit from a new idea, or a better way to implement on old one. ;) Vets should warn you against any accident they have seen, but the care and safety of our birds is up to us, we get to make the final decision.

I will leave it up to Shelly, whether or not we should put a perch in there...I can certainly buy a dowel and screw it in very low, like Plax said, if you would like me to. :) We have a whole workshop area for bird construction, lol, I may not have to even buy anything. :)

Everyone is coming to say goodbye to Paris tomorrow and Friday - we will really miss her! I may have slept like a baby this week, lol, but I really hope Shelly will be kind enough to send me a message Sunday night when the princess reaches her castle - or I may never sleep again! :eek:

ShellyBorg
08-28-2013, 01:58 PM
No worries about that! I will send a message as soon as I see her! Let me do some looking into the perch thing.

jacksmom
08-28-2013, 02:06 PM
You got it, Shelly - it sounds like a personal choice thing, so now that this girl is yours that is yours to make. :) Thanks for promising to message - if on here is easier it certainly works for me...yay tapatalk! Feel free to just update this thread, I have been watching it like a hawk since I created it! Though the Par-Bear probably will need another" Welcome Home" thread.

P.S. She had probably a few too many sunflower seeds today...and erm...peanuts...I will try to quit that, or you will have a lot of spoiling to undo! :eek:

plax
08-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Well, Grace, there must be more to your vet's opinion than what you've expressed. Perhaps there's a missing factor that's not applicable to the situation we're talking about... maybe your vet is referring to a very different scenario. Wooden dowel material and most lumber are relatively soft. That, in conjunction with the fact that there's not enough space within a kennel carrier (with the approximate dimensions of 30 x 20 x 20 inches) for a bird the size and weight of a B&G Macaw to attain a velocity that could produce an impact against said carrier's soft plastic walls or a low-mounted, relatively soft wooden perch structure, that could result in a beak injury, make me inclined to believe there's been a miscommunication between you and your vet. At the very least, some of the particulars may have been omitted.

Again, a bird certainly can't fall from a structure that's virtually already on the floor of a small transport container, especially when that structure's very existence gives the bird something to hang on to. As such, my guess is that your vet has warned you against something very different from the proposed scenario.

So yes, you and Shelly can use your own judgments. Whatever you decide I'm sure Paris will arrive safely :)

Pinkbirdy
08-29-2013, 02:08 AM
For lack of technical terms . Plane rides are scary ! Shes going to want something to hold on to :)

jacksmom
08-29-2013, 02:23 PM
I think he was talking about, say, like a car crash or an accident, or somebody being too rough with a kennel - when I said falling, I should have been more specific. I think he meant more like this...

A red light comes up. You slam on the brakes. Your bird, on a perch, doesn't have time to step OFF the perch fast enough to stay balanced, instead he grips tighter, hoping to stay up. The car (and carrier) is/are stopping while the bird's velocity keeps going. If a foot can be braced in front and the other in the back (impossible on a perch) the bird won't "fall". With feet desperately gripping a perch, the bird's body swings forward, towards whatever...won't matter if it is plastic if below it is the metal floor of a truck...and the front of a carrier is always metal, anyway... while the feet stay in the same position, gripping even tighter.

I don't think he really meant falling from a perch, think he meant more "thrown from"...like IF you be unlucky enough to have this situation above happen, it would be better if the bird wasn't standing on a perch at the time, but flat footed so it can correct its balance faster.

I am actually such a safety nut that I am already wondering how easy it would be to catch a great big macaw toe under that perch if it is that low....say she steps down on the bottom plastic enough to bend it and wedge a toe in there...she would be stuck the whole ride...So just because I am too paranoid to do it doesn't mean it is a bad idea! ;) I can see a bird with a way to injure itself almost anywhere. I was FUN while bird-proofing their bedroom. :) (Meaning, drive everyone nuts!) ;)

Oh, and he didn't bring this up out of the blue, either...it was because I asked should I put a perch in there...ya know, so he had to give an answer of some kind...mending even one broken beak would probably make a vet say "no" to that, but it doesn't make the situation likely. ;)

plax
08-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Well, it goes without saying that a car ride and a plane flight are two entirely different scenarios. Large planes do not stop abruptly... they can't. Or, I should say they can and do... but when it happens it's because of a plane crash (and plane crashes are extremely rare). And the perch doesn't have to be mounted low enough for there to be a concern of Paris catching a toe between the perch and the carrier's floor. Mounting it one half to three quarters of an inch about the floor of the carrier should be fine and present no safety concerns.

The only thing I have to say about your explanation of what your vet may have meant is that with no perch a bird can easily still crash into the metal door of a carrier upon an abrupt stop. That's true because the bird is going to continue its forward momentum and will thus easily slide into whatever is in front of it if the vehicle should come to an immediate halt. Additionally, the plastic on the floor of a carrier will significantly dampen the impact of a beak collision if the bird should topple over. And that's far better than if it were to slam its beak against a hard surface.

I'll just end by saying the bird shippers that I'm aware of include mounted perches in their transport containers. But it's up to you.

jacksmom
08-29-2013, 07:14 PM
It isn't, Plax, it is up to Shelly...we should probably change the subject...

So, I have her escort to the airport all set up for Sunday, just writing down carrier sizes and calling airline in a minute. We are trying to get her in there Sunday morning and to Shelly by Sunday afternoon...oh my little California-bound gal! (I have been telling her she is going to be a movie star!)

plax
08-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Changing the subject is fine. But I felt it was important to respond to, and discuss the factors you weren't considering... since a grasping-perch can be essential for a bird who's being juggled around in a container for an extended period. And BTW, here's a reasonable analogy... When a person is grasping a handrail or stability strap on a transit bus and the bus collides with something or otherwise stops short, the person stands a fair chance to remain stationary by being anchored to the rail or strap. Whereas if the person were not grasping the handrail or stability strap there would be a far greater likelihood that he or she would be thrown across the bus and/or potentially into structures within the bus. The same thing applies to birds in carriers.

Irrespective of whose decision it may be, I don't think it's beating a dead horse. It's an important consideration. I apologize if that irritates you but bird safety should come first.

ShellyBorg
08-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I have been waiting for Paris for 25 years. I am so anxious you can't belive it. I got the email saying the money went through for the kennel and plane ticket and started to cry. I have been so close to having a Mac in my life before but something always felt off or wrong and sure enough it would not go through at the last min. This time feels right. Ieven said "good night Paris" last night when I walked by her cage. I just can't wait!

Now on the perch. I talked to a vet here and a raptor breeder that ships world wide. They both said a vary low perch wrapped in vet wrap would be there choice. The vet is also standing by Sunday incase I need him. :) OK I have to go breath into a paperbag now.....

Honesty
08-29-2013, 08:41 PM
I can feel your excitement Shelly:) I am glad you have opted for the low perch:)

I will keep checking in on Sunday to hear the news:)

jacksmom
08-30-2013, 12:30 PM
So funny you said goodnight to her cage, Shelly...I say goodnight and good morning to them, and within a couple weeks she could say both back perfectly, lol, and sound just like me. When she is in there, she will probably respond right back...goodnight! She often beats me to "good morning"! ;) Funny you say that about this feeling right, also, like this time it will happen...I said to Matt yesterday "She probably is getting a too-good-to-be-true feeling, she has wanted one so long and all of a sudden, plop, Pear Bear right in her lap! I can't wait until she gets her, then the unreal dream feeling will go away, the dream will come true!" I would say I'm sorry you cried...except I don't think you are, lol...sounds like a happy sort of sob, like ah, hole in my heart filled, wish come true and didn't think it ever would...I know about those! ;)

Now, don't be surprised if she doesn't want to step up to you out of the carrier - Paris doesn't love up on just anyone, you must first become her "number one". She often doesn't even want to step up to me out of her wire travel cage...she wants to prance around on it while you exclaim what a pretty bird she is, lol. She may give you some problems getting in and out of her cage for a bit...not sure on that one, she wasn't in a cage long here, and still hated me while she was in it, lol. That was easily cured by sitting next to her less than an hour a day, feeding her peanuts and talking to her in a soft, soft voice. The rest of her decision was made in the vet's office...she was scared, and I was familiar...so all of a sudden she was clambering in my lap, and snuggling into the crook of my arm - that bad man was trying to hurt her, lol, and this nice soft voice person with the peanuts was here. ;)

I guess I am trying to say - beware the beak with this one - once you pass her tests (and I am confident you will!) she will be the most loving little snuggle bunny ever, but until then...well, let's just say she would be a great spouse abuser...she will bite you so hard with pressure that you will feel it for a week or more...yet has never actually broken my skin, made me bleed. Serious, serious bruises, though you will barely see the mark. I think once she is with someone who respects her for awhile longer she will become even lighter with her nips, should you make a mistake with her and need punishing - I believe she was taught this was the amount of pressure needed to get her owners to stop pushing her. I loved your story about clipping your bird's nails, Shelly...shows how you will be perfect for Paris - shows how well you understand a parrot's mind!!! Anyone ever seen the movie "The Fifth Element"? The scene where Bruce Willis tries to kiss her while she is sleeping, and he gets a laser gun suddenly pressed to his temple as she says in her language "Never without my permission!" That is Paris. ;-) And like any Blue and Gold...she first has to find out if you are afraid of her, test lunging. Of course you know...don't be, but 'ware, 'ware that beak, lol.

Oh, Shelly...pass that paper bag, girl. I so badly want Paris to be safely in your home, and even better, safely in your arms...I am like a mom leaving their kid at preschool for the first time, all worried about how they will behave. I keep telling Paris - "You be good for your new best friend!" I am trying to comfort myself with the knowledge that you are experienced enough with parrots to know not to give up on her if she acts like she hates you a few weeks! :cool: I am going to hope for best case scenario...Paris arrives, notes your long hair, soft voice, and bribes - and climbs onto your arm, inclining her head for scritches. :)

Oh, I told Shelly, but for everyone else...we got the BIG carrier, Matt and I gave Paris a little going away gift, and upped her travel allowance by 50 or so...giving her much less travel time and a much bigger carrier to do it in. Thirty inches long - should fit that tail a lot better! :) Inside - the vet wrapped perch, a bowl of fruit and veg, her precious towel, and a very loved bird. Taped to the kennel outside will be her paperwork, and a week's supply of her food. We will go in and out and play in the carrier on Saturday a few times to get her used to it. :) If anyone can think of anything else to make her comfortable, or to make her transition to Shelly easier, just let us know!

ShellyBorg
08-30-2013, 01:39 PM
I am fully propared to "court" Miss Paris for as long as it takes. And as to owning a bitter.Spirit has been nailing me for years for things such as, putting him back on his cage, taking to long to put him in cage, giving him the wrong chunk of what ever I am eating, giving him a toy that he does want, but he wants the other birds new toys also....ya. We get butting around here and I have had the old snot over 10 years now! Looking forwards to a bird that may give me fair warning. Before making a finger match my blue finger nail poilsh. :)

ShellyBorg
08-30-2013, 05:09 PM
If you could Jack's Mom tell me a bit about her life, bed times, fav treat, is jewlary and nail polish safe around her, does she hate hats? Anything you can think of that may make our learning curve a little shorter. ALso does she like swings or hanging stuff? I was looking into making a atom with a boing on the bottom to hang from the cealing near my chair.

jacksmom
08-30-2013, 10:33 PM
I would be HAPPY to!

Let's see, between 7:30am and 8:30am (depending on season or sleepiness of people) one of us goes in the bird room and turns on the overhead light. "Good morning!" Paris will often reply. :)

After breakfast, (three roudybush pellets, gone first and treasured, and a serving of macaw chop) Jack the jerk (hey, it's from her point of view) starts up his clamor, and either they come out on the t-stands in the kitchen for a few hours, (and sample any breakfast the humans have) or we head out to the greenhouse. In the greenhouse there are big stands, with at least one toy hung, changed often...not that Paris cares in the least.

She will sometimes take a wood block and chip off a few pieces, looking at me pointedly, before deciding she has been thankful enough. She has no interest in toys, never does anything in the bird room except stand on the perch nearest the door and wait for me to come in...she will call to me if she hears me walking by, (I work from home) but she hardly ever screams, either with joy or frustration, like Jack. (Jack will scream while biting his own foot for no apparent reason, or shout out the window at all the little birdies, or just yell because he likes his voice, or he is having fun swinging on his mobile.)

I know she doesn't, because we have a camera in there...I can watch her without her seeing me. All. She. Does. Is. Wait. The only reason she ever yells is with alarm if you try to leave her sight. If you tell her "Be right back", (we have tried hard to train her out of this) or "goodbye", she will often allow you to go (now, after a lot of hard work) and then just stand there and wait for you to return. It is why I had to be so careful about re-homing her!

I may exaggerate a bit...but only a little! She doesn't want to use a climbing net, though we had to take down the swing (I do have a big concrete macaw size swing) before she came, but I would guess she wouldn't use one since she shows no interest in Jack's mobile, which is on her side of the room right now. (Jack loves to swing on this when he has access to that side)

This isn't a bird...it's a watch dog. If Jack approaches me she will try to warn me...either with a noise of alarm or by saying "ouch" - she was cracking us up while we hung toys one day by repeating "ouch, ouch" over and over and clear as day - because Jack was lunging at us, not wanting us to touch his favorite rattle. When we are in the greenhouse, she calls to me every time I disappear behind a vat or whatever. She hates it when I go near the fans - because she fears them. (They have guards and are not actually a danger though)

What else...oh yeah, the steps...before you ask Paris if she wants to step up to you, you must first ask to touch her. If you speak to her in a sweet, soft voice (the oh-you-precious-baby voice) she may incline her head - that is an invitation to pet. If she doesn't, you can ask her by putting your hand up about a foot away from her, and make a petting motion, a little, or just hold it there and ask politely and sweetly, softly. If she doesn't incline her head, don't do it unless you are already well bonded. If she does, go for it. She may test you by snapping her beak toward you to see if you are afraid. Teach her immediately you are not by just calmly removing your hand, asking her in that sweet voice again if maybe she rather not be touched. If she nails ya, she nails ya, ya know? At least you didn't possibly ruin your chance to teach her from the gate that you are not afraid and mean her no harm. She won't bite anything off, she never made anyone bleed who was following protocol. ;-) Matt forgot one day, and DARED to presume he could just outright ask her to step up. Wrong move. She will step up no problem if she is on the ground, or really freaked out..she may dismiss protocol, but you may not. You see? I can get away with forgetting to ask her if I can touch her first, but just because the girl can't resist me. No one else has ever gotten away with it, and it took me a few months for her to bond to me enough that I could. I would recommend following the protocol that Paris taught me at first, and work her out of it from there. :)

Okay, so we wandered away from the day...yeah, so we hang out inside or in the greenhouse for awhile, maybe until dinner, maybe a few hours and then I have to do stuff where I can't be there with them, whatever, they go back in the bedroom. At 5:30 or so, it is dinnertime. Same meal as breakfast - though snacks of people food usually get doled out sometime during lunch. ;) They don't appear to get bored with it, though, they race eagerly to the bowls. :)

At about 6:30, after they have eaten and are comfortably perching, we turn off the overhead light and they have a bit of sleepy twilight action before it gets totally pitch black in there. And we wake up and do it again the next day. :)

I like to keep them waking up near sunrise, going to bed near sunset, we do the whole daylight/season cycle around here. :)

She used to like the rope perch I had in her quarantine cage, I kept wanting to put one up in the bird room for her. If you can think of any more questions let me know, I am MORE than eager to dump any info I have on ya!

Hats she doesn't seem to have a problem with...or nail polish, I don't think...but I don't often wear it so I can't say that one for sure.
Her previous owners - don't know a whole lot, but her mom was a Barbie - so makeup, jewelry, polish, funny clothes - I am sure she has seen it all. I don't know much about them...but I know she was stuffed in a double macaw cage with a pair of African Greys for her last years with them. I never saw the set up, they only let me stay downstairs...and she was carried down to me.

Can't think of anything else...let me know if you can! :)

ShellyBorg
08-30-2013, 11:19 PM
She will love where her cage is then! It is at the end of the living room where she can see into the kitchen and my bedroom! Its the room where we spend most of our time unless I am in my glass shop that is here in the house. I have a playstand for her to hang with me there in the shop as long as I am not grinding or soldering. I went out and got some wooden toddler toys we can use as learning/doing something together toys. One is a hard wood stacking ring tower. Spirit has a smaller one and he loves to toss the rings around to get me to fetch them for him. I stack as fast as I can while he flings them as far as he can. He always wins!
I am glad to hear she likes the rope perch, I picked one up yesterday. I am sure I will think more up later. Every time I start to think all my mind does is "we are getting a Mac!!!!!" and it pretty much locks up.

Oh I hope it will be a long time before I need to do this but how does she handle toweling? I know mine are so weird about it, Danny loves it, Demon does not mind but after I get the cold shoulder, and Spirit can not be and never will be toweled. He freaks out and I have worked things out with him to the point it is never needed. Even at the last vet visit and we needed to knock him out I told him he had to put his head in the cup and showed him by putting my fist in a couple times. After that I was able to put it over his face and he squeaked just a bit before going under and woke up just fine and not angry. I never like toweling my birds but its nice in case of emergencies to know how they will react.

jacksmom
08-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Well, like most birds, she isn't really a fan of being toweled...and sometimes you can get her to comply with your wishes by SHOWING her the towel...she seems to understand if she would like to continue not complying we humans have other ways. ;) However, this doesn't seem to make her scared of towels...she loves them as long as you aren't trying to wrap her up in it. If you to towel her, she will squawk like mad...and RUN to the nearest familiar person as soon as she is released. (She was toweled when she went to the vet so they could get blood.)

She loves the crate!!!

Oh, and fav treats include peanuts, anything with bread...sunflower seeds...um...grapes are an especially appreciated fruit...she is a fairly picky eater but will try anything once. ;) If she drops it, don't bother trying again, that wasn't a mistake, lol...if she likes it, she won't drop it. :)

ShellyBorg
08-31-2013, 11:06 PM
OMG *crying here* She looks like she is making herself a nice little house there! That is the nicest kennel! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

jacksmom
09-01-2013, 08:29 AM
No problem, Shelly...we enjoyed putting it together today...black vet wrap on the perch, which is a poplar dowel cut at an angle for a nice snug fit, then screwed in from the outside. We didn't want to install the bowl yet...she will be using it this morning, we are putting her food bowl she always used here in there. (Plastic locking Lixit bowl)

We took a vid of her climbing on me and giving me kisses, which ended in her scampering back to the crate again, pretty fitting. :) I had trouble sleeping last night...I will miss her, but I don't think that's it...I think I am just super anxious about her journey! :eek:

It is really wonderful how so many people are following her journey and wishing her well. I know it will make all the difference. :)

coltfire
09-01-2013, 08:47 AM
well here's praying she is safe and sound on her trip which if i right she has started, now we will just have to wait for Shelly to let us know she has arrived, safe trip Paris

ShellyBorg
09-01-2013, 03:06 PM
I can't wait! I will be on the Delta web site watching the flight info.I will be posting when I pick her up with a pic at the airport, then I will make another one when we get here to the house and all traveling is done. Its going to be a LOONNGGGG day!

Honesty
09-01-2013, 03:28 PM
What time are you picking her up ( your time) I think I am 6 hours ahead of you!

ShellyBorg
09-01-2013, 03:30 PM
It will be around 7:30pm PST.

plax
09-01-2013, 03:33 PM
What time are you picking her up ( your time) I think I am 6 hours ahead of you!You are 8 hours ahead of her, Wendy :)

Oh wait... it just occurred to me that Wendy is 7 hours ahead of Pacific Time because of the Daylight Saving Time mode here - at least I believe so. Once we switch back to Standard Time she'll then be 8 hours ahead of our West Coast.

jacksmom
09-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Not sure what time it is for anyone else lol, but here it is almost noon and Paris will be at the airport in a little more than an hour! :eek:

ShellyBorg
09-01-2013, 04:06 PM
LOL, you this has been a bit of a global time lessen for everyone! I am showered dressed and ready to go, all my critters fed. My flock has been strangely silent all morning, they know something is up!

Jacks mom, Thank you so much!

jacksmom
09-01-2013, 04:54 PM
You are very welcome Shelly, you are the only reason we have been able to hold ourselves together the past few days...and especially right now. Matt and I are both in tears...and my guy is a "tough" guy if you know what I mean. And I am that sort of "tough" chick, lol. NOBODY is tough right now, though, we are all red eye and crying.

I hid it from Paris. All smiles for her, cheerful "Goodbye!" And then the car pulled away and I started sobbing. Matt was crying into his peanut butter and jelly before he left with her. (Looking all of about six years old)

I sent a friend with him...I wish I could have gone but the farm is open right now, and only me to work today. Might be for the best...with just me and him in the car we would probably cry the whole way there.

We were hugging in the driveway and I was whispering in his ear "I know you love her, I love her too - that's why we have to do this for her."

Take care of her, she is much loved. And deserves every bit of it.

ShellyBorg
09-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Huge hugs to both of you. I am sure this is so hard I can not imagine. I will take care of her. I promise!

Blancaej
09-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Jacksmom - Now you have me crying. It's always hard to say goodbye. :th_hug8: :(

Honesty
09-01-2013, 07:02 PM
You are 8 hours ahead of her, Wendy :)

Oh wait... it just occurred to me that Wendy is 7 hours ahead of Pacific Time because of the Daylight Saving Time mode here - at least I believe so. Once we switch back to Standard Time she'll then be 8 hours ahead of our West Coast.All these different time zones are mind boggling :( I think the only person here that is ahead of me is Steve (Coltfire) :)

coltfire
09-01-2013, 11:08 PM
yeah not good crying here to, i think im 16 hours ahead

Pinkbirdy
09-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Jacksmom,I believe you did the right thing. Im sure were going to hear about a whole new side of Paris that you didn't know existed:) Paris will be great !! [I don't know how she cant be, Shelly wants her so bad :)] My Goffin, Pearls a good example of birds totally changing in a new home! Its a HAPPY DAY :)

jacksmom
09-02-2013, 01:38 AM
It is!!!! And how is that for karma paying off, the plane is even supposed to land twenty minutes early!!! :D

I bet she will show a whole new side when she doesn't have a bird bigger than her trying to whop her in the face with his wing all the time, and screaming bloody murder at her every time I touch her. Or even look at her.

And what bird wouldn't want to ride a goat? ;) I am so thankful to this forum for helping me find Shelly, she will be so good for Pear Bear. :)

Pinkbirdy
09-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Hows Jack doing with Paris gone ?

jacksmom
09-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Pretty happy about it! (Posted more in the other thread, but this pic kinda says it all!)

plax
09-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Pretty happy about it! (Posted more in the other thread, but this pic kinda says it all!)What is that? A fried chicken leg?

jacksmom
09-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Not fried, just baked. :) I always wait until he has eaten his breakfast before giving him anything like that, though...but I wonder sometimes if I should give him so much meat at a time. See? He destroys it...

ShellyBorg
09-03-2013, 02:40 PM
LOL I had given Paris a BBQed turkey wing yesterday! She spent a hour licking it.

plax
09-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Not fried, just baked. :) I always wait until he has eaten his breakfast before giving him anything like that, though...but I wonder sometimes if I should give him so much meat at a time. See? He destroys it...That's a lot of protein at once for a bird, even one the size of a large Macaw. Within the first few years after my Jack came to live with me (early 80s), I tended to give him large chunks of whatever I was eating (chicken legs, pizza slices, etc.) but soon learned that doing so may not be the best thing for him... or for Maynard, who had become a member of my family back then as well. Although Macaws need more fat than many other parrot species, the amount of fat intake is still a concern (it's good that the leg Jack's munching on -or is he taking a snooze?- is baked). And I'm always mindful that protein intoxication is also possible with a Macaw. Most avian vets agree that it's probably best for our guys to get most of their protein intake from quality pellets and various nuts. But it's easy to see that your Jack enjoys his pleasant life :)

jacksmom
09-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Intoxication from protein, who knew meat could make birds drunk! Though yeah, he may enjoy that, heh...no, not a snooze, just blinking...made for a funny pic, though! :)

I had seen so many people recommend giving parrots a chicken leg I tried to tell myself the amount may not be a big deal, especially since they aren't many parrots larger than this species. ;) I think Shelly's idea of a wing may be more of an appropriate amount, though! (Yeah, Paris loves any sort of sauce - she is so funny! That must be carefully licked off first every time!)

I am not sure I agree protein needs to come from nuts and pellets, though...there is always bean protein! :)

plax
09-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I am not sure I agree protein needs to come from nuts and pellets, though...there is always bean protein! :)Yeah, beans are fine as well. They're a very good source of protein and other nutrients. Veggies are always superb foods if/when our birds will eat them :)

jacksmom
09-03-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't give mine a choice sometimes if I really want them to eat a veggie...like kale...I put it in a food processor and put it in their chop...then they get some whether they like it or not. Thanks for warning me about the meat amount, I have always wondered! :screwy:

ShellyBorg
09-03-2013, 04:07 PM
When I give legs or wings I strip a lot of the meat off first. They have to work at what's left. Spirit loves to eat the bone marrow. There was no sauce on the wing, silly girl was just licking the bone and meat. LOL

jacksmom
09-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Heh, she has such refined eating habits! :)

Oh, that's a good idea...duh! Sometimes I miss a forest on account of all the trees! ;) Nice to have helpful bird folk handy! :)

REK2458
11-26-2013, 04:23 AM
Hello,
I lost my Blue and Gold and have been looking for another that needs a forever home. I have 25 yrs experience with large parrots. Your baby would have a great home.
I am in NY perhaps we could make some kind of arrangements? Best wishes in any case, I am sure this is hard on you. Roann

ShellyBorg
11-26-2013, 06:06 AM
REK2458 Paris has happily found a forever home. :D