PDA

View Full Version : Cockatoos

JadeC
08-22-2013, 05:25 AM
Oh my goodness, I think I'm sick..... With bird flu!!!! Haha I saw a goffin's cockatoo at the pet store today and played with her. I want a cockatoo SO BAD!!!!!!! I really like goffin's and galah... Ugh.. I wish I could have them all!!!!

Honesty
08-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Goffins and Galah's are lovely birds. They certainly keep you on your toes. You have to watch them all the time when they are out as they can destroy things in seconds. LOL I used to have a Galah.

Pinkbirdy
08-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Honesty ,I didn't know you had a Galah.Tell us about him. Jade start out with a Galah :) Goffins are Devils !!! LOL :)

Honesty
08-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Honesty ,I didn't know you had a Galah.Tell us about him. Jade start out with a Galah :) Goffins are Devils !!! LOL :)Yes, I had a Galah Terri. She was adorable. Her name was Rosie:) Rosie is the Galah on our banner!

After a few weeks of having Rosie, my daughter Tiegan became ill. Her face was all puffed up and her eyes were red and running. I thought she had some sort of virus. I took her to the Doctors who sent her to the hospital for tests. They asked me if I had acquired any new pets. I told them I only had a Cockatoo. The Dr said straight away that this was Tiegan's problem, she was having an allergic reaction to the dander dust :th_shocking: I was told to keep Tiegan away from Rosie completely:( I had no choice but to ring the breeder and ask if she would take Rosie back. Luckily, she agreed. I was heartroken over it :th_sad7:

Tiegan is absolutely fine around Codie, as he does not have the dander:)

Here are a couple of pics of Rosie...

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

coltfire
08-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Cant beat a rb2, tomorrow ill go out back and take some pics of the wild one's for you.

Pinkbirdy
08-22-2013, 10:03 PM
OMG Honesty [I love her !!!] At Least your able to have Codie though. Was this your first bigger bird?

Honesty
08-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Rosie was my first bigger Bird and now Codie:) I have had Codie almost 2 years now.

Blancaej
08-22-2013, 11:23 PM
Jade- bird fever runs rampet on this forum can you tell! ;)

Wendy - So sorry you had to give up your galah. She was beautiful! Of course you had no choice. At least you found wonderful Codie!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Rescued
08-22-2013, 11:27 PM
I love my little Rosie, she is such a sweetie. We used to have a goffins, my ex was terribly abusive, and I had to re-home him after he threatened to kill him. He was a cool bird but strongly preferred males. I love all the toos though I have had some very challenging ones. :-) don't jump till your absolutely ready though. They won't let you live without them again!

JadeC
08-23-2013, 04:39 AM
Haha I have always been intrigued by cockatoos. I remember the first bird fair I went to I wanted to take home a big cockatoo that let me cuddle him for like an hour!!!! I've wanted one since I could remember liking birds. I was looking up galahs and they are expensive, so I've been looking at rescues. :P I don't think I could get one now since I'll be full time student soon, but I definitely want one badly!!! The goffins look awesome because I just love the white, but I really like galahs too!! White is my favorite color.. I have an all white cat and I just love white animals. Haha That's only one of the reasons I like cockatoos though!!! I have been doing a lot of reading about cockatoos :) I will have one one day.

JadeC
08-23-2013, 04:41 AM
Also, Rosie looks so sweet :) I'm sorry you couldn't keep him. I brought Meiko into work today to show off and a girl I work with freaked out saying she was allergic to birds. I didn't think birds had dander until I met a cockatoo. Meiko doesn't give off much dust or anything like that.. Hmm..

JadeC
08-23-2013, 04:46 AM
Honesty ,I didn't know you had a Galah.Tell us about him. Jade start out with a Galah :) Goffins are Devils !!! LOL :)

I like how you say, "start out with.." Haha That means I'll have more than one cockatoo!!! Yikes!

Rescued
08-23-2013, 03:33 PM
If you aren't in a position to have one, perhaps you could consider fostering. I fostered many birds before I ended up with my final 3. :-)

coltfire
08-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Haha I have always been intrigued by cockatoos. I remember the first bird fair I went to I wanted to take home a big cockatoo that let me cuddle him for like an hour!!!! I've wanted one since I could remember liking birds. I was looking up galahs and they are expensive, so I've been looking at rescues. :P I don't think I could get one now since I'll be full time student soon, but I definitely want one badly!!! The goffins look awesome because I just love the white, but I really like galahs too!! White is my favorite color.. I have an all white cat and I just love white animals. Haha That's only one of the reasons I like cockatoos though!!! I have been doing a lot of reading about cockatoos :) I will have one one day. Jade Here in Australia you can pick up a rb2 for $30 but then we pay the earth for other birds, not that we can bring any birds into Australia, so if they are not here already being breed we only get to see them on the net or in pics, but we do have a lot of parrots to make up for not being able to import birds

JadeC
08-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Jade Here in Australia you can pick up a rb2 for $30 but then we pay the earth for other birds, not that we can bring any birds into Australia, so if they are not here already being breed we only get to see them on the net or in pics, but we do have a lot of parrots to make up for not being able to import birds

$30!!!? Haha I guess it would be like picking up a crow here.. Or a pigeon. There's a seagull on my base that has a broken wing and we're trying to catch it and give it to a rescue so it won't get eaten. He keeps disappearing for a few days and then coming back. I guess a rb2 is like seagulls over there. Everyone is annoyed by them? Haha I know when I lived in Alaska, people hated bald eagles because they ate trash and destroyed things.

Turquoise
08-25-2013, 02:22 AM
Jade you will have a Too or two one day. The urge is "Too" strong!! Believe me I know!:th_LOL: I had two macaws, but not a Green Wing. I had this gnawing urge to get get my elusive GW & it wouldn't go away til I did.:th_biggrin:

A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] Wendy, that is sad you couldn't keep Rosie. Tiegan's health is more important & many folks are allergic to the dust Toos make. Rosie looked like a super sweet girl. I love the colors of the RB2s and everything I have read about them. I do plan to get on in the next year or two. I have decided that will be my next parrot.:th_dancing:

Pinkbirdy
08-25-2013, 02:42 AM
Jade you will have a Too or two one day. The urge is "Too" strong!! Believe me I know!:th_LOL: I had two macaws, but not a Green Wing. I had this gnawing urge to get get my elusive GW & it wouldn't go away til I did.:th_biggrin:

A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] Wendy, that is sad you couldn't keep Rosie. Tiegan's health is more important & many folks are allergic to the dust Toos make. Rosie looked like a super sweet girl. I love the colors of the RB2s and everything I have read about them. I do plan to get on in the next year or two. I have decided that will be my next parrot.:th_dancing: Cool De'Andrea, when your ready . Check out my breeder. [100 dollars down] and she was the least expensive. Owen came [almost trained ] if that's possible and she did that.

Turquoise
08-25-2013, 04:17 AM
Thanks Terri. When I am ready I will let you know & you can give me your breeder's info. Probably not this year, striving for next years hatchings. :th_biggrin:

Honesty
08-25-2013, 05:01 PM

A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] Wendy, that is sad you couldn't keep Rosie. Tiegan's health is more important & many folks are allergic to the dust Toos make. Rosie looked like a super sweet girl. I love the colors of the RB2s and everything I have read about them. I do plan to get on in the next year or two. I have decided that will be my next parrot.:th_dancing:Yes, Rosie was adorable. She had such a unique little personality. She had this habit of running along the floor with a wooden perch in her beak and bashing it on the floor from left to right:) She could destroy a wooden perch in 10 minutes flat. I used to call her "Miss Woodpecker" :) I was gutted when I discovered she was the cause of Tiegan's mystery illness :(

coltfire
08-26-2013, 01:11 AM
well as promised here are a few pics of a pair of wild RB2 out the back.1177117811791180 and here are the rest of today's pics [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Debra
08-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Oh, wow! Beautiful!

Honesty
08-26-2013, 10:30 AM
A Cockatoo wiil set off your flock just nicely De'Andrea:)

Jade, I am sure your dream will come true one day and you will have your Cockatoo:)

JadeC
08-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Cockatoos all around!!!! Haha

Mare
08-27-2013, 05:19 AM
Yay! Cockatoos! I love these boogers but know no other! I'm afraid if I brought home a macaw, I might get bored! :th_biggrin:

JadeC
08-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Yay! Cockatoos! I love these boogers but know no other! I'm afraid if I brought home a macaw, I might get bored! :th_biggrin:

That's how I feel about my caique!!! He's so not a chill on my shoulder bird.. I was thinking about my next flock member (go figure) and I couldn't think of a bird that could match Meiko! Actually, a cockatoo probably would except it would be much louder!!!! If any other bird, I think a caique is the personality of a cockatoo, but milder. Haha I dunno though because he's still kind of clingy as a baby...

Turquoise
08-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Thanks Wendy, I've considered an RB2 for a couple of years now. It's the only Too I think would work with my flock and schedule given what I've read about there general personalities. And it is my favorite in looks, so I will become a Too owner one day.:th_hug8:

Mare, I know macaws are not the cuddle bugs and 'Me~Me~Me~Personality Seekers Toos are, but there is NO Way you could ever get bored with a macaw in the house!! Macaws are like 'Monkeys With Wings' and will entertain you in a way no other parrot can!!:th_biggrin: Unless~~you manage to find the rare 'Couch Potato' macaw.:th_LOL:

Mare
08-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Haha, I was just joking, De' :th_biggrin:! I'm sure from all I hear about macaws, I would love having one around!

Honesty
08-27-2013, 02:42 PM
I am going to be a Macaw owner one day. I am looking for a Yellow Collared Macaw, which is almost impossilbe to find here in the UK or I am considering a Red Fronted Macaw:)

Turquoise
08-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Hurry up & get into the 'Elite Macaw' club Wendy!! :th_LOL:

Can't wait to hear all about your new experience with one. :th_biggrin:

Honesty
08-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Hurry up & get into the 'Elite Macaw' club Wendy!! :th_LOL:

Can't wait to hear all about your new experience with one. :th_biggrin:One day I will be in the "Elite Macaw" club :)

Rescued
08-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Wendy I have a red fronted macaw. He is definitely different than my blue and gold, though there are so many factors that make up a personality that I doubt I could say why. Today I'd have shipped him to you. ;-) he has driven me crazy all day. I think that the smaller macaws are so great in that they aren't so scary and overall need less space. He comfortably flies in the house versus Sparky who would likely kill herself if she tried.

Honesty
08-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Wendy I have a red fronted macaw. He is definitely different than my blue and gold, though there are so many factors that make up a personality that I doubt I could say why. Today I'd have shipped him to you. ;-) he has driven me crazy all day. I think that the smaller macaws are so great in that they aren't so scary and overall need less space. He comfortably flies in the house versus Sparky who would likely kill herself if she tried.Elizabeth, I will send you my address incase you ever feel the need to ship Jax to me :th_LOL:
Would you say RF are one person birds, or are they pretty easy going on that score? Do they have aggression issues like Amazons? I have heard they are the gentlest of Macaws. Would you agree with this?

Rescued
08-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Well overall he is pretty gentle. He uses his beak as all macaws do. He is definitely a boy's boy. He likes to wrestle and is not a real cuddle bug. He likes to be with you and will be pet, but he is very young, only 4. He is my only experience with red fronts.