PDA

View Full Version : Pins! All over the place!

Mare
08-22-2013, 12:21 AM
My cockatoos just finished a heavy molt and are LOADED with new pin feathers! They take good care of the ones they can reach themselves but need help with the ones around their neck and head. Sassy has bit me only three times for trying to help :). Amigo has been more of a gentleman about it and will just give me a glare, if I'm not doing it right! When you all try and help, do you just kind of pinch off the top of the pin, or do you try and go closer to the blood line?

Blancaej
08-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Quincy does not get any visible pinnies. I never knew what they were until I had Savannah! I just use my nail to rub them off. Usually at the tip. Savannah has only gotten agrivated at me once or twice. Luckily for me, she is not a biter, generally speaking! Don't want to jinx myself. LOL!

Rescued
08-22-2013, 01:01 AM
I do the ends that are ready, then as they grow out I do more. I get a squawk and an occasional warning lunge when I hit a tender spot. Mostly they are pleased to have the help.

coltfire
08-22-2013, 02:28 AM
mine will allow me to help, by scratching over them and using my nail to split them at the top as Elizabeth said , its the same with mine, well the eckkies, and if i dont get them the other partner of the bird will get them, for them.

Mare
08-22-2013, 04:14 AM
Sassy seems to get more than Amigo, I've noticed over the last couple molts. Maybe Amigo being showered more than she, helps with this.

JadeC
08-22-2013, 05:37 AM
Meiko has a lot of pins right now and I help him, but he gets mad a lot. I don't help much. :( He usually lets me just scratch a little off the tip of the pin feather though. If I go too close, he yells at me. My Quaker would let me do whatever and I'd usually break off a lot of his pin feathers but I guess Meiko is sensitive. Haha

Mare
08-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Chip doesn't like to be touched so I'm not sure how he is doing with his pins. I'll have to assume it doesn't bother him as much as Sassy's, he's definitely not as grumpy!

Minamommy
04-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Mina has a very heavy molt this time. I start by pinching off the ends. Then I go back in a couple days and go through and try to stay back from the blood like if I get too close she lets me know. I just use my thumb nail to pinch the quill sheath away start close to the top and work my way back. If I get a lot off her the next day she gets a good shower. Right now I have her eating coconut oil right off of a Popsicle stick. On top of her food I put AviFlax Gold. She looks wonderful since I added that to her Harrison's. I think it's all helped with this molt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turquoise
04-16-2014, 02:43 AM
That's awesome you have Mina eating her coconut oil off the stick straight! When I first started adding some to my flock's cooked foods at serving time, none would touch any of it. They could tell it was in it and they did not like something about it. They eventually got over the notion it was evil, but none would even think of eating it straight since they still don't like it on fresh veggies where they can taste the oil.

When mine are all 'pinny' I only squeeze and flake the tips of the feathers. If I try to get more they will definitely let me know their displeasure and then won't let me help. Roscoe & Angel will not let me help with the chest frontal areas, only the back of the neck and a little down the back.

Minamommy
04-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Lol yes that is Mina get too close to the blood line and she will squak and turn and give you the dirtiest look. Then I give kisses and I'm sorry and she is mollified. I'm only allowed to help with her crest and neck then she gets the attitude I can do it myself mom. She eats up all the stuff that has flaked off. Do your birds do this?

Debra
04-16-2014, 05:17 PM
Speaking of pins -- My plucker, Lucy, has started letting feathers grow in on her chest! She has pins all over her chest. Changing her cage up some has really gotten her out of boredom. She no longer sits in one place all day long. I just hope she allows all of her feathers to grow back in.

Mare
04-16-2014, 10:47 PM
That's great news, Debra! :). Kim, I can't say I've ever seen my birds eat what comes off? They may, I've just never seen it.

Minamommy
04-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Yay Lucy!!!! I know is Mina a weirdo or what? LOL. I figure it must give her nutrients. They must eat some of it when they groom themselves. Debra I put AviFlax gold on Mina's pellets just a little sprinkle. She was starting to pick at her legs a bit OMG try it what a difference in their feathers and skin. She doesn't pick at legs anymore. You can put it on anything but I used it to get her eating pellets again too. So so happy for Lucy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debra
04-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Kim -- I actually have some AviCalm and Featheriffic by Avitech. I just keep forgetting to put it on her food. lol

kendrafitz
04-19-2014, 01:01 PM
What awesome news Deb!!! So happy for Lucy. Although I do miss reading about her hunting you in the shower. ;) I am sure you don't miss living it!!!

Kim - Rosie molts all year. We preen a couple of times a day. I am allowed to do anywhere but her stomach and under her wings. She doesn't eat the sheaths though. I am going to try the coconut oil in a Popsicle stick. :). Thanks for the tip!!!