PDA

View Full Version : Coco the Macaw

spiritbird
08-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Here is a link to this bird's story. You may have already known about this.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Dulphinz
08-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Heartbreaking;(

Honesty
08-21-2013, 04:47 PM
That is just so sad :(

plax
08-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Indeed, a terribly sad story. And unfortunately this type of situation is all too common. The attitude of so many people is consistent with the following statement from the article:

We believe it wasn’t intentional neglect by his caregivers – learning a better way to care for this bird required the owners to be motivated to make this change. They weren’t – his quality of life was acceptable to them and they had no desire to invest time, energy and resources to improve his life.

That's the biggest problem facing so many companion birds on our planet. Their guardian humans simply don't care enough to learn about their needs. I find it immensely tragic that any birds ever end up with folks of that mindset. Such birds are treated as mere "things" that don't deserve the time and devotion to be fully understood. In many cases their existence amounts to veritable lives of torture. Humans are obviously to blame for this unspeakable reality. It's their priorities in conjunction with with their constructs of profit and industry, such as the pet trade, that are driving-engines for the widespread neglect and abuse of defenseless animals. Then, when you throw in the fact that lots of people around the globe seem to have no problem objectifying the animals who are taken into their custody, you end up with an extremely large, cruel and heartless realm of torturous neglect.

Each time I hear of something like this it's beyond heartbreaking for me :'(

Honesty
08-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Very well said Tony!

Rescued
08-21-2013, 08:45 PM
I have no words, so many of these birds live in such horrible condition that are 100% preventable. It breaks my heart that these poor creatures depend so greatly on us and again and again they are left wanting with no one to speak for them. Thank you the Gabriel Foundation for your work.

coltfire
08-21-2013, 08:46 PM
very well put Tony, and im in agreement with you 100%, i dont understand why people would even bother get a bird if they dont want to do what is right for it, unfortunately, it happens with all animals, that humans take in, the amount of dogs i see in backyards that are just there for the sake we own a dog, but no care taken for the animal. humans need to realize what the ************** they are doing to our animals and also our planet, now im not a greeny but i do respect our planet and all animals,where that's my American Indian back ground, not sure but it does not take much to respect our planet and amimals, its humans i have trouble respecting

ShellyBorg
08-21-2013, 09:07 PM
So many people own birds in this shape and worse, but will not give them up to some one who would do anything to save them...

Macawfancy
08-22-2013, 05:24 AM
Indeed, a terribly sad story. And unfortunately this type of situation is all too common. The attitude of so many people is consistent with the following statement from the article:

That's the biggest problem facing so many companion birds on our planet. Their guardian humans simply don't care enough to learn about their needs. I find it immensely tragic that any birds ever end up with folks of that mindset. Such birds are treated as mere "things" that don't deserve the time and devotion to be fully understood. In many cases their existence amounts to veritable lives of torture. Humans are obviously to blame for this unspeakable reality. It's their priorities in conjunction with with their constructs of profit and industry, such as the pet trade, that are driving-engines for the widespread neglect and abuse of defenseless animals. Then, when you throw in the fact that lots of people around the globe seem to have no problem objectifying the animals who are taken into their custody, you end up with an extremely large, cruel and heartless realm of torturous neglect.

Each time I hear of something like this it's beyond heartbreaking for me :'(

It is to me too, many owners concentrate on their own needs, not the birds. Too often we hear about how can "I" live with my parrot not how can the "parrot" live with me. Many bird owners need to learn the best life with a parrot is leaning how to best live with "each other".

Blancaej
08-23-2013, 01:15 AM
OMG - That was just heartbreaking. Well said Tony & macawfancy.