PDA

View Full Version : Magical Parrot!

PlaxMacaws
08-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Now this is just bizarre! I was on my computer doing some Internet work, and Salsa (my GW) was on a nearby perch stand. There's a stainless steel bracket with a huge stainless steel nut and bolt clamped through a large hole in the bracket. It's one of many threaded beak-grinding fixtures that I've placed here and there - Zaf especially loves to grind on them. Well, for quite a while I've had 12 inches of stainless steel chain wrapped tightly around that particular bracket between the huge bolt and the end of the perch. The chain was fastened with a stainless steel quicklink inserted through the chain's links on each end. And the quicklink was/still is tightened to a seized bind with wrenches.

Okay, now for the weird part... Salsa was being nice and calm playing with the chain on the bracket, as he often likes to do. I then hear a big CLANK! I go to investigate and find that the quicklink had fallen onto the hard floor and that it was still closed and wrench-tight. The chain was draped over the bracket just danging there, with all of its links perfectly intact.

The best I can determine is that one of two things must have happened. Either Salsa is a magician in disguise... OR he somehow managed to break the wrench-tightened seize bind of the quicklink, then unscrew the quicklink, then pull it through and out of both chain links, and then finally, re-tighten the quicklink to a wrench level bind before dropping it.

Here's a photo that I snapped of the chain and the link immediately after Salsa removed it:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

coltfire
08-20-2013, 08:39 PM
mmmmm ok , thats going to b a mystery i think , time for hidden camera's

Honesty
08-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Wow! That is truly amazing. It seems Salsa has magical powers :)

plax
08-20-2013, 09:23 PM
mmmmm ok , thats going to b a mystery i think , time for hidden camera'sGood idea, but right now I just have this phone to make vids with. What he did and how still has me quite baffled. I wish I would have been paying attention to what he was doing with the chain and the link about 1 to 5 minutes before he removed it. It's the most inexplicable thing any of my Macaws has ever done!

Pinkbirdy
08-20-2013, 09:28 PM
I would go with the second theory {Ha Ha] :) Id have to see if he could do it again.;)

plax
08-20-2013, 09:32 PM
I would go with the second theory {Ha Ha] :) Id have to see if he could do it again.;)Yes, I'll definitely have to let him try it again! :)

spiritbird
08-20-2013, 10:05 PM
That is why this happened because you were not paying attention. Had you been watching the birds the chain would have stayed in place. At least that is my theory.

JadeC
08-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Maybe one of the links broke and fell to the floor?

Turquoise
08-21-2013, 02:06 AM
Oh my goodness Tony, don't you know anything? The Parrot Fairy came to visit Salsa and was in a playfull mood. She & Salsa thought it would be fun to make you wonder how on earth he managed this feat.:th_LOL:

That is how all things we can't explain that happens with & around our birds gets done. I've seen the Parrot Fairy, I know she exists. :thankyou: :th_biggrin:

plax
08-21-2013, 02:23 AM
Maybe one of the links broke and fell to the floor?It can't be that because the quicklink was threaded through 2 of the chain links (not just one) and because the chain still measures exactly 12 inches (which it always has). Additionally, it's a high quality stainless steel chain, not one of the cheaper chains. A good guess though :)

plax
08-21-2013, 02:25 AM
Oh my goodness Tony, don't you know anything? The Parrot Fairy came to visit Salsa and was in a playfull mood. She & Salsa thought it would be fun to make you wonder how on earth he managed this feat.:th_LOL:

That is how all things we can't explain that happens with & around our birds gets done. I've seen the Parrot Fairy, I know she exists. :thankyou: :th_biggrin:Ahhhh, that explains it! Salsa is in cahoots!!! :th_loltears:

Turquoise
08-21-2013, 04:19 AM
That wrascally Salsa!! He's a sneaky sorts, isn't he. :th_biggrin:

coltfire
08-21-2013, 11:16 PM
So bar the fairies, did you find out how it happened or are we leaving it with the fairies lol

plax
08-21-2013, 11:25 PM
So bar the fairies, did you find out how it happened or are we leaving it with the fairies lolThe only physically possibly way it could have happened is for Salsa to have wrenched open the quicklink with his beak, threaded each of the chain links off of it (and they were a tight fit), and then screwed the quicklink tightly back together and dropped it. There seems no other reasonable explanation.

coltfire
08-22-2013, 02:31 AM
well if that's the case, i think you should contact Dynamo, and let him know you have a bird as good as him .

Blancaej
08-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Wow...can we say twilight zone! LOL! That is pretty amazing. But we already know Salsa is an amazing GW! :D