PDA

View Full Version : Would you..?

Ashleigh
08-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Would you put a harness of a conure who broke its wing so badly as a baby that he is now unable to fly?

Crumbs my maroon bellied conure fell out of his nest when he was a baby. His wing is now fully healed but now he cannot and will never fly. My breeder and their vet said it is impossible for him to fly now. So do you think I should put a harness on him when we go outside? We don't have any predators besides stray cats and those don't really wonder into my backyard.

Thanks c:

mrgoogls
08-19-2013, 05:33 AM
can he extend the wing at all? because if he can and he catchs a nice breeze he can still "glide" up into a tree or away.

Mare
08-19-2013, 05:43 AM
I wouldn't but that's me. If you know he can't fly, why put him through the harness training? Just my thought.

Ashleigh
08-19-2013, 06:32 AM
I was thinking about the gliding thing but he can't really glide. He can extend one wing fully but his other wing is a bit wonky. He also can't maintain being in he air. If that makes sense. He drops like a rock even though he is fully flighted. He has also never been clipped.
He tries to flaps and glides but he just falls and ends up hurting himself.

I also forgot to mention that he also broke his leg so he can't land properly. His legs almost cross each other. One is sideways while the other is straight. This is just the way it healed.

I was also thinking about that. I have taken him outside a few times and he would rather use me for transport as it's much easier for him to get around to places :p When he runs he trips sometimes. :p he is my special needs baby :) I also don't want to stress him out over something like harness training.

I had people growl/get upset at me as he doesn't use a harness even though I have told them he can't fly. So that's why I am asking :p

Also thanks :D

Turquoise
08-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Hi Ashleigh. I say you don't need a harness for him since he is unable to fly due to his wing & leg. I have two 'Special Needs' birds, bot macaws and I don't worry with a harness when I take them outside. I have 3 videos in the Photos & videos forum here showing both outside with me without a harness on.

My Catalina macaw Angel was born with leg disabilities that prevent him from ever standing on his legs like his normal brother Roscoe. His wings are affected also and he will never be able to fly. He can climb with the best of them and he can twist his legs all around like if they were double jointed.

My Green Wing macaw Ruby Jewel was born with two perfectly good wings and on her first day out of the egg her breeder said the Daddy bird bit the bending flappy part of her left wing off. The part that would be from the elbow to the fingers on us. She will never be able to fly either due to this mishap and it tends to make her off balance if she falls to the floor trying to fly.

I have had folks ask me why I didn't have a harness on them when I have put photos or videos up, but once I explained the reason they were ok with it. I would do what feels right for you and your feathered baby. You know your bird and your life with him better than anyone of us on the outside looking in.:th_biggrin:

Ashleigh
08-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Thank you c:
I think I will leave him the way he is. He is a great climber but when it comes to walking and flying its another story. I did try to explain to those folks why I didnt have a harness but they didnt really listen and said I was a terrible owner. :( They said I didnt deserve to have him. Which was un called for. They also said I would be teaching others bad habits and that if I lost wee lil Crumbs it would be my fault. :(

Crumbs is always off balanced but my vet said he is a happy healthy conure. He has so much personality. He cant reach one of his wings properly so he uses his foot to grab it so he it preen his feathers. :p

This does make me feel a lot better. Thank you :D

Turquoise
08-19-2013, 09:08 AM
My personal opinion here with what I will say about others who are overbearing with 'Their Way or Else' is exactly that~~Uncalled for! When you know your Crumbs cannot fly and you tell folks this, it is not teaching others bad habits to choose not to stress him with an unnecessary harness. OK, so that is my opinion and I will stand by it, especially since I know where you are coming from with having two non flyers myself.:th_biggrin:

I will say that the inquiries about my not being afraid my two would not fly while outside was from folks on here. And they were just fine with my explanation of why no harness was needed. I was already banned from PF before I got any of my videos to upload with my slow internet, so I never put any on there. And I just haven't gone to any of the other parrot forums I belong to and put my videos up except one really small one. I would probably be blasted with the same responses you have encountered if it were on any other forum.

Some of the forums just seem to have folks who always want to run everyone elses world and I wonder when they have time to take care of their own business. :th_LOL: I'm not downgrading any other forum with this comment, just a few of their bloodhounds who search for this kind of thing to show off.

Ashleigh
08-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks :D That really does make me feel better. I was thinking the same thing. I do know Crumbs cannot and will never fly, he can't even glide and he even knows it. He also knows that I am there to take him around to places. Well that's what I feel :p I spoke to the vet who cared for Crumbs when he was injured and healing. He said that he will never be able to fly and I should keep him in a long cage with low height. I tried to tell those folks this but their "way" is the "right" way.

It was on another forum and on a facebook group which I was kicked out from.
Once again thank you :D
Your words do make me feel much better. :)

This is why I choose to post in this forum as I do know that people here are much more warming. I tend to lurk :)

Debra
08-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Well, I'm late to the party, but I think you've made a good decision to not stress Crumbs out by trying to put a harness on him.

ShellyBorg
08-20-2013, 05:46 AM
I am going to have to say he does need a harness when you go out. Not for fear of him flying off, but if he gets scare and jumps off. A harness would allow him to not hit the ground if you are holding the leash short. My grey flies like a lead brick and I have him harness trained , on more than one time he has jumped and I was able to slow his fall and "catch" him before he hit the cement. Then lower him so I could have him step up.

Ashleigh
08-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Thank you. :D

I actually did consider that but if he were on a short leash how would the recall be? I thought if he did fall and was "hanging" even for a few seconds he might freakout over it. I also don't think I would be fast enough to catch him if he fell. Would there be much/any recall damage? I do have a harness I bought for him a while back and showed him it. We did try it but he hated it like it was the end of the world. :( He doesn't like when his wings being touched.

I don't want him to fall and hurt himself. I just want to find the best and safest option.