PDA

View Full Version : When did I become a rescue?

ShellyBorg
08-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Ugg, now this was not in the plans.... I seemed to become a underfunded rescue. Today I took in a lovebird. According to the owner she will bite and "rip your face off". Sure enough when I picked her up she was lunging at the door and hissing. I get her home and decided to see how bad she really was and put my hand in the cage. She came running over and started biting like mad. Never left a mark! LOL So I pulled her out of the cage and had her doing step ups in 15 min. The great news was I knew of a family who is looking for a small parrot. I called them and they came right over to see her. They fell in love and have asked me to hold her for 2 weeks till they get back from a trip they are going on. While she is here I will be clicker training her and harness training. They also fell in love with the little parakeet I bought a couple days ago. The love bird will go in the cage she came in, not a bad size one at that, the parakeet( who now eats from my hand) will need a new one.
They are insisting to pay for the birds. My issue is what to charge. I did pay for the keet and have been hand training it (one of the reasons they want it. you can not get hand trained keets around here) but the love was free and will not be costing much more then time and a little food as I get her on a better diet the next couple weeks. The idea of doing a VERY small rescue is one I like. I do love helping the birds become great pets and with a rescue I can work with them and then get them back out to good owners! Lots of thinking to do....

Wulfgeist
08-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Bless you for doing what you are doing despite the lack of funds. I'm sure you will work something out that allows you to keep helping more, if that if your plan, and not going broke in the process. Good luck and again thank you for helping these birds.

Turquoise
08-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Sounds like a great idea for you Shelly. :th_biggrin: The poor unwanted feathered darlings need someone in their corner.

I know if I were to do that, I'd have a hard time letting go of one to make a rescue work sucessfully for me. :th_LOL:

ShellyBorg
08-17-2013, 07:24 PM
I am sure I may end up with a couple that will not be given up. For the most part my lack of space and time to work with everyone will keep me from wanting to keep to many. I had all ready talked to a local pet store about giving a parrot care class, this may work into a way to fund this. If I get donations at the classes i can use that to help with any rescues.

ShellyBorg
08-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Forgot to mention I may have a CAG coming in a week or two. He is a plucker with huge issues. I have done some one on one with him and he will need a lot of time. He will be a long term rehab and if and when he leaves it will have to be to someone who will really work with him. Poor kid went from a home where he was loved but no one who touch him, to a home where he has been put in a dark corner and not even talked to because the wanted a "taking bird" and did not understand a grey is not a dog...

Honesty
08-17-2013, 07:46 PM
When I win the lottery, I will buy a house with plenty of rooms to take in all the birds that need rescuing :D

Oh well! We can all dream :D

Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2

Pinkbirdy
08-17-2013, 08:02 PM
What about if people want to pay you.Have them do food and toys.

ShellyBorg
08-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Food and toys are a great idea!

spiritbird
08-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Nice work Shelly. Somehow word of mouth will get around and the needy bird will come your way. Perhaps Katy at MSBS will give you discounts on the food if you let her know what you are doing. Best of the best to you!

Mare
08-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Girl!, You became a rescue the day you brought home your first bird! You're perfect for this! I like Terri's idea of food and toys, you could also ask for donations of time/help cleaning, feeding. Cage donations?

JadeC
08-19-2013, 12:07 AM
If you find another caique in need of a home..... >__> <____< O______O I live in WA haha

Blancaej
08-19-2013, 12:20 AM
I think this is right up your ally! ;)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Rescued
08-19-2013, 02:36 AM
I became a self funded rescue for dogs a long time ago, then I started with the birds, I hope I am done for a while. It is nice when someone wants to pay an adoption fee, I would recommend starting a bank account just for the birds so you can show where the money goes if there is ever a question. If someone wants to purchase a big ticket item for a donation, make sure it is something you will use, somehow I ended up with 10 small dog cages? So many birds need to learn how to be good pets, it is great that you are able to help some of them do that. Good luck and thanks in behalf of the birds.