PDA

View Full Version : I think Quincy thinks he's a dog!

Blancaej
08-16-2013, 09:07 PM
So my little Quincy has started a new troubling habbit. He has become a wanderer! He climbs off his cage and walks into the kitchen and munches on things like the laundry baskets! But the funniest little fetish he has going on right now is chewing on shoes! He barks, too! He's always barked but now that he is chewing on shoes we can officially say he's a dog in birds clothing! LOL!

Seriously though, I've got to figure out away to get him to stop or we won't have any shoes left. :th_naughty:

We are currently doing a lot of remodeling in the house. Once that is done, I hope to have 3 rooms with perches in them so I can keep an eye on him where ever I am! :th_bignono: I just don't want him to chew the wrong thing and be the end of my little Quincy! :(

I don't leave him alone for long anymore now because of his new wandering habbit.

spiritbird
08-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Quincy you silly boy. I never was comfortable with a bird on the floor. They can get into too many things. Good thing you are watching him.

coltfire
08-16-2013, 09:56 PM
all my eckkies are wanderers, they love the floor, what i have noticed with them they now walk to the back door , and stir the dog out side, if i have them out and i leave the bird room on return its look down first.

Blancaej
08-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Quincy you silly boy. I never was comfortable with a bird on the floor. They can get into too many things. Good thing you are watching him.

I'm not comfortable with him on the floor either. Too much trouble he can get into. Not to mention getting stepped on. We are all on the alert now when he is out of his cage, which is a good thing. We all know to keep an eye on him and see what he is up to every few minutes if he is left alone at all. It's like having a toddler again. LOL!

all my eckkies are wanderers, they love the floor, what i have noticed with them they now walk to the back door , and stir the dog out side, if i have them out and i leave the bird room on return its look down first.

I think some birds are more prone to it then others. I know some Macaws like to wander. Savannah not so much, yet. But I know Coqui does. So when we bring her home in the fall we will need to keep an eye on her for sure!

Debra
08-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Lucy is a wanderer too. She has actually chased me out of a room before.

Quincy sounds like a whole lot of fun!

Blancaej
08-16-2013, 10:16 PM
That is funny Debra! Steve's Eckkies like to wander, too! Lol! Quincy is a lot of fun. He has a LOT of personality in a little body! LOL!

Wulfgeist
08-17-2013, 01:59 AM
The barking sounds really cute, you must try to get a video of it if you haven't already. Jasper was prone to floor wandering, too. The place I bought him clipped the babies because of the store location and layout. Too easy for a baby to take off as someone was coming in and wind up out in a busy street. Jasper would always find his way down to the floor one way or another. When I was with my friend I had a small bedroom in their house. I would be in the kitchen cooking or doing dishes and he would come, carefully waddling down the hall, stretching his neck to peek around corners to look for me. The flock left and he didn't like it lol.

mrgoogls
08-17-2013, 02:02 AM
cooper is the exact opposite. if he jumps off his playgym he runs right to the nearest person, even if normally he doesnt really like them or never even met them! he hates being down there! and if you dont pick him p he climbs up WHATEVER he can get a grip on to get a bit higher up.

Blancaej
08-17-2013, 02:11 AM
RJ - Jasper sounds a lot like Quincy! One time I had Quincy out on his playgym and I went upstairs for a few minutes. I came back and he was half way up the stairs trying to get to me. :th_shocking:

So I picked him up and brought him up the rest of the way and let him hang out for awhile, then put him back on his perch. I will try to get him on video barking!

Ken - I wish Quincy was that way! LOL! I know some birds don't like being on the floor.

Wulfgeist
08-17-2013, 02:20 AM
I used to keep a journal after I bought Jasper. I found it and was reading through it. This passage stuck out:
July 3, 2012
" The last few days I have noticed that Jasper seems to be a little bolder and more curious about the house and all. He doesn't really like it when I leave the room and will try to follow. He did this yesterday and I found him wandering around on the living room floor. He's still clipped and can't really fly. I came in and spoke to him but he didn't seem to be worried about coming to me so I could pick him up. He waddled around on the floor for a while looking at different things."

I got lazy with the journal after a time but I'm glad I kept it for a while.

Rescued
08-17-2013, 02:27 AM
Oy. I have to be very wary about not having Sparky on a perch she can't come down from. She remains on hanging perches only unless I'm right there. She will get down and harass the dogs and go "exploring" chewing on trim and finding nest holes. She has even become reluctant to step up because she has her own agenda. If I'm sitting sown she will come and climb up to sit with me though. Be careful of course. They end up places you would never expect!

Turquoise
08-17-2013, 03:16 AM
My goodness Blanca, you do have your work cut out for you with Quincy! :th_LOL:

Sounds like Quincy wants to add a few remodeling suggestions of his own. :th_hehe:

None of mine like to be on the floor except Ruby Jewel. Her breeder Mom allowed her to roam the floor at her house. She has curbed the urge to only every once in awhile. I just keep putting her back on her perch when she decides to go 'floor walking'.

Roscoe will sometimes fall off his play perch acting silly, but he is ready to find any port in the storm like Kenny's Cooper. He will even allow Jerry (hubby) pick him up if he can't see me anywhere. But after Jerry places him back on the perch he'd better be moving away fast or Roscoe will grab a big hunk of hide.

Leyla belle, my ekkie only gets on the floor when she tries to fly to where I am at my computer area. I have to keep her wings clipped, so she falls to the floor. If I don't notice she has gotten off, she will walk to me ready for me to pick her up. :th_biggrin:

ShellyBorg
08-17-2013, 05:09 AM
Demon just started to wonder around. I found him chasing after my son yesterday!

Blancaej
08-23-2013, 01:06 AM
I used to keep a journal after I bought Jasper. I found it and was reading through it. This passage stuck out:
July 3, 2012
" The last few days I have noticed that Jasper seems to be a little bolder and more curious about the house and all. He doesn't really like it when I leave the room and will try to follow. He did this yesterday and I found him wandering around on the living room floor. He's still clipped and can't really fly. I came in and spoke to him but he didn't seem to be worried about coming to me so I could pick him up. He waddled around on the floor for a while looking at different things."

I got lazy with the journal after a time but I'm glad I kept it for a while.

It's great you kept that journal. Now you have memories right there on paper for you to read. Thank goodness you have that. :)

Oy. I have to be very wary about not having Sparky on a perch she can't come down from. She remains on hanging perches only unless I'm right there. She will get down and harass the dogs and go "exploring" chewing on trim and finding nest holes. She has even become reluctant to step up because she has her own agenda. If I'm sitting sown she will come and climb up to sit with me though. Be careful of course. They end up places you would never expect!

Quincy doesn't always want to step up when on the floor either. Like you said, they have their own agenda! I don't let Quincy alone very long anymore. When I do return and he is on his perch still I give him lots of praise!!

My goodness Blanca, you do have your work cut out for you with Quincy! :th_LOL:

Sounds like Quincy wants to add a few remodeling suggestions of his own. :th_hehe:

None of mine like to be on the floor except Ruby Jewel. Her breeder Mom allowed her to roam the floor at her house. She has curbed the urge to only every once in awhile. I just keep putting her back on her perch when she decides to go 'floor walking'.

Roscoe will sometimes fall off his play perch acting silly, but he is ready to find any port in the storm like Kenny's Cooper. He will even allow Jerry (hubby) pick him up if he can't see me anywhere. But after Jerry places him back on the perch he'd better be moving away fast or Roscoe will grab a big hunk of hide.

Leyla belle, my ekkie only gets on the floor when she tries to fly to where I am at my computer area. I have to keep her wings clipped, so she falls to the floor. If I don't notice she has gotten off, she will walk to me ready for me to pick her up. :th_biggrin:

Oh yeah, remodeling all right. I forgot to mention he started chewing on the wall!! :th_shocking: I discovered it after he did about a 6" patch! His cage will be moved in about a month to a new room. So I guess when I move his cage, a picture will have to go over that spot! LOL! Savannah isn't too into moving from her favorite perch spots or even from my lap in the living room. But it's still new, who knows what she will do a year from now! LOL! Sounds like most of your fids don't like the floor. That is a good thing!

Demon just started to wonder around. I found him chasing after my son yesterday!

That must have been quite the scene! LOL!