PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried?

josiesmom
08-16-2013, 02:50 AM
On Sunday, we rehomed our 2 cats. The cats always seemed stressed and a friend of ours moved into a house and really wanted them, so they moved in with her. Since then, Josie seems different. Quiet, very quiet. She doesn't greet me when I come home and she is very quiet during the evenings. Tonight, she was on her sleep perch by 8:30 with her head tucked in for the night. She is eating just fine and her poop seems normal. She is even very cute when Ben goes over to talk with her but she is just very quiet. Could it be that she is more relaxed since the predators are gone or can she be sick? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mare
08-16-2013, 03:31 AM
We're your cats ALWAYS around while the birds were in the house? My thoughts are, if they were, maybe Josie is sensing something is very different?

josiesmom
08-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes, they used to lay in the window across the room from her and they would always be in someone's lap while watching tv at night. They never went near her bc they were afraid of her.

It's so funny...the cats were quiet. They didn't bark or talk or scream but now that they are gone, the house is so quiet. The dog isn't barking and Josie is so quiet.

kendrafitz
08-16-2013, 11:06 AM
First off, I am sorry you had to rehome your cats. But how awesome that you put their needs ahead of yours! It sounds like they are going to have a great new home.

Could Josie be missing the cats? Maybe she considered them part of her flock and feels out of sorts bc they aren't there?

I am sure she will bounce back to her usual funny, bubbly self soon if that is what it is.

spiritbird
08-16-2013, 12:52 PM
In time she will realize they are no longer in her flock. Just shows you how aware our bird are of who and what is nearby.

Debra
08-16-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm sure she's missing them. Just keep an eye on her. She should be back to her old self soon. If not, then a vet visit might be in order.

josiesmom
08-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Now she is sleeping in The middle of the day on a perch she never goes on. She even let Ben take her out of the cage today. She is eating and drinking just fine. I'm baffled.

Blancaej
08-16-2013, 07:00 PM
I do think she may be missing the cats. If you get too concerned about her change in behavior, a trip to the vet may be in order to reassure you that all is ok. Keep us posted!

josiesmom
08-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Ben is trying to get a vet appointment now. Nothing has changed other than the cats leaving. He is even worried now because he said it looks like she is moving in slow motion. She has never had contact with the cats or the dog. She hasn't had any falls that I know of. What could this be??

Blancaej
08-16-2013, 08:41 PM
I think it is good you are going to take her to the vet. If anything, it will make you feel better even if it turns out all is ok.

plax
08-16-2013, 10:44 PM
The addition or removal of a single housemate can affect behavioral dynamics to a significant degree. And you've removed two housemates. She may be thinking: "hey! my world has just changed and I don't quite understand why!" She could even be thinking: "Am I next?" But a vet check may provide some reassurance that she's physically fine.

josiesmom
08-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Now we are even more baffled. A little before I was to get home from work, my son texted me to tell me that Josie is screaming for him. When I got home a few minutes later, she was back to her old self...yelling hello at least 15 times when I walked through the door. When I put my arm in for her to step up, she did so happily with nice bright eyes. I put her on her stand for a bit and she was all too happy to fight with Ben whenever he went near her. She had some pizza crust and then proceeded to try to climb off the stand like normal. When I was holding her, her grasp on my arm was firm and she even regurgitated for me. Not that I encourage that but I was happy to see it today. She has lost some feathers lately and has tons of pin feathers everywhere. Can she be molting and just not feeling well? Ben did some research and was thinking that she may have had something lodged in her crop because she wasn't talking much. She's been eating and drinking since about 5 and now she is climbing all over her cage trying to get even more attention. I'm going to see how she is in the morning. I'll keep you posted.

plax
08-17-2013, 12:39 AM
Now we are even more baffled. A little before I was to get home from work, my son texted me to tell me that Josie is screaming for him. When I got home a few minutes later, she was back to her old self...yelling hello at least 15 times when I walked through the door. When I put my arm in for her to step up, she did so happily with nice bright eyes. I put her on her stand for a bit and she was all too happy to fight with Ben whenever he went near her. She had some pizza crust and then proceeded to try to climb off the stand like normal. When I was holding her, her grasp on my arm was firm and she even regurgitated for me. Not that I encourage that but I was happy to see it today. She has lost some feathers lately and has tons of pin feathers everywhere. Can she be molting and just not feeling well? Ben did some research and was thinking that she may have had something lodged in her crop because she wasn't talking much. She's been eating and drinking since about 5 and now she is climbing all over her cage trying to get even more attention. I'm going to see how she is in the morning. I'll keep you posted.I doubt whether it was a crop obstruction since in your OP you indicated that she was eating and pooping fine. My guess is that it was simply Josie trying to process the fact that the cats have vanished. Hopefully she has accepted the situation as the new norm. You can still go with the vet check if you have further concerns. I'm happy to hear she's behaving normally again!

josiesmom
08-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Thank you plax. I'm going to sleep downstairs tonight and see how she is in the morning. If she is even slightly not herself we will make the trek to the vet but since it will be almost 4 hours in the car, I don't want to go if we don't have to. She is good on short trips but if she is feeling well and I make her go that long in the car I'm afraid she may flip out a little. She gets feisty when she is ready to go back to her mansion in the living room. :-)

plax
08-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Thank you plax. I'm going to sleep downstairs tonight and see how she is in the morning. If she is even slightly not herself we will make the trek to the vet but since it will be almost 4 hours in the car, I don't want to go if we don't have to. She is good on short trips but if she is feeling well and I make her go that long in the car I'm afraid she may flip out a little. She gets feisty when she is ready to go back to her mansion in the living room. :-)That makes sense. Vet visits can be quite stressful for them, as can long car rides. So use your judgment. Hopefully she'll be fine now. And you're welcome :)

Blancaej
08-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Its sounding more and more like she is missing the cats. I think you have a good plan. Keep us posted!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Turquoise
08-17-2013, 05:25 AM
I think she is wondering where those furry 'predators' she had buffaloed went to. Like them or not, she knew they were part of her flock as has been said previously. Your description of her changing some of her routine and even beginning to be more calm with Ben and calling your son sounds to me & this is just my personal opinion, that she is more comfortable not having to watch for the furballs.

Even tho they stayed far away from her, maybe she felt in her mind that she had to be on the alert to them one day trying to challenge her. Now she knows they are gone & she can relax more. No scientific research to my theory, just how it sounds to me she is acting.:th_biggrin:

Hope all goes well if you do take her to the vets. Lets hope she won't have to leave her living room mansion. LOL

Debra
08-17-2013, 01:04 PM
How is Josie doing today?

josiesmom
08-17-2013, 02:06 PM
She is doing great! Thanks for asking. She is talking up a storm and eating and drinking. She just had herself rocking like crazy on her swing so I think she is ok. If she really was missing the cats, I can't even imagine how she would be if we were gone :-(

ShellyBorg
08-17-2013, 07:32 PM
I am sure it was the cats. When we had to put our two old dogs down Spirit would call them for days. Even today he sees a doxi and asks "Molly?" in a sad voice. What was funny was when they where here he never talked to them or had anything to do with them. It was only when they were gone did he seem to want them.

josiesmom
08-18-2013, 02:43 AM
Well, I guess it was her just adjusting to the cats no longer living here. Today she was her old self....talking, swinging, climbing, eating and drinking. It was beautiful here so I even took her outside for a bit and she started the cutest thing...whenever a car would drive down our street, she would stretch out her wings and yell hello. I'm hoping we don't ever see her like that again. Thanks for all the great advice and positive thoughts. :-)

Turquoise
08-18-2013, 02:50 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] that would have been a super cute video to get of her saying 'Hello' to the cars. :th_biggrin:

Glad to hear Josie is back to her cute sweet self. :th_hug8: It is always so scary when they all of a sudden change their personalities.