PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Safety Risk for my Parakeets?

spiritbird
08-14-2013, 05:47 PM
For those members that are knowledgeable about snakes I direct this posting to you. I have seen several hatchling snakes with yellow rings just behind their head inside my apartment. Management came by and re-caulked all cracks in the woodwork with caulking but they continue to be in my apt. I know they are not poisonous but I still would like some suggestions on how to get rid of them. Also if one managed to get inside the bird cage would they injure my birds? Appreciate any suggestions.

ShellyBorg
08-14-2013, 07:51 PM
I would wire all cage opening shut on the birds cages until you know they are out of there. I have had luck catching snakes by putting small boxes with openings in warm spots under areas they may be hunting in. The snakes look for food and find the box and crawl in for a nap. I would do this near the bird cages against walls. If you see more I would also call and have the Managment get wildlife control business out to go through your apartment and remove all of them.
It sounds like there was a hatching near by, i wonder if they are escapes from another apartment?

coltfire
08-14-2013, 08:24 PM
ok the good thing about snakes , is that they will only kill if hungry, they dont kill for the fun, your problem is going to be the snakes are going to be hungry and looking for food,especially if the are hatch lings, you need to find where they are coming in from, now a hatch ling will only need an opening of about 5mm they can flatten them self out almost flat which means they can come under your door if it is up a bit from floor, is there is any way to hang your cage so the snakes cant climb .

jules
08-14-2013, 08:42 PM
i would be concerned too. would they still be able to climb up the walls to get to the birds? hope you get things sorted x

spiritbird
08-14-2013, 08:44 PM
The workers came here two times from the management here and all they have is a caulking gun. I have greased the legs of the cages but not sure if that will keep them from crawling up. I will set up some shoe boxes with the holes as suggested. I asked about under my front door and was told "they can't fit under there" which is not true. If I see any more I will demand professional exterminators. This is an old building and it has so many possibilities for entry. I have seen 3 so far and know if it is a nest nearby there are more. No place to hang cages but that is a very good idea. The internet pages where I checked says the ringneck snakes have a slightly venomous bite to paralyze their prey (insects mostly)

jacksmom
08-14-2013, 09:01 PM
These snakes would have a heck of a time taking down even a parakeet - but you are definitely doing the right thing by taking precautions and being stern with your property managers about them...who knows how hungry they are, if they are very hungry they may well try! And if they bite and paralyze, of course then they could! :eek:

coltfire
08-14-2013, 10:14 PM
snakes can climb walls, the grease is a good idea, but remember the size u have seen and make sure u have greased at least 1 and a half the size as they stretch and only need to pass the grease to get a grip, you could be luck with ur birds as they are not part of there diet but if hungry will go for what ever is on offer, and its not there venom u need to worry about its the constricting,and reading they only hunt at night so if you can leave a light on where the birds are , birds covered of course, it may keep them away as the hunt in dark not that snakes can see very well its there heat censer's on the side of the mouth that picks up the heat from every thing. i pray you get this sorted out before it becomes a problem, not that its not a problem already.