PDA

View Full Version : flapping exercise?

mrgoogls
08-12-2013, 10:50 PM
hey guys! i was just wondering if any of you guys know any good flapping exercises or any other exercises. i dont think cooper is overweight but i think extra exercise will be good for him since he is clipped. also how much exercise should he get? or how do i know when he has had enough?

JadeC
08-13-2013, 12:45 AM
I used to do flapping with my Quaker :) I just held his feet and dropped my hand kind of fast until he flapped. Just do this until he's breathing hard. Then the next day, do it a little longer.. So on and so forth. Same as if you we're training for a marathon. Run a mile, then a mile and a quarter...ect

JadeC
08-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Also, I'd make him step up over and over to work his little legs :) Good luck!!

mrgoogls
08-13-2013, 01:29 AM
I think his legs get a lot of exercise because he spends a lot of time on his atom and there are no flat places and he constantly hangs upside down. I also saw something earlier where you let them hang on themselves so it exercises their grip, and slightly tip your hand back, and then just move your hand forward. I tried it with cooper and it worked great. I also found a way f moving my hand so its a constant motion so its constant flapping for a few seconds instead of a few flaps at a time. thanks for helping!

Turquoise
08-13-2013, 02:18 AM
I bet all of our birds could use more exercise except Mare's Amigo.:th_biggrin:

I know mine could use some incentive to shake a few tail feathers more often. Even Roscoe, my busy clown gets a little winded if I make him flap a bit. Kinda like a lot of us think we get plenty of exercise at work. I am guilty of this thought. And a few stairs or some other good cardio workout & you find out just how out of shape your body really is.:th_LOL:

mrgoogls
08-13-2013, 03:04 AM
haha I think amigo gets PLENTY of exercise. probably close to as much as a wild parrot! I am going to start with cooper twice a day until he starts panting. ill let you know how its going!

JadeC
08-13-2013, 03:20 AM
You could also do some recall training. Meiko is clipped but he can flap to me to a certain distance. He flys a lot actually around my apartment. Haha Maybe Cooper could be bribed into flying to you? :)

mrgoogls
08-13-2013, 03:45 AM
he should actually be able to fly right now, because his flight feathers are almost grown in, but im getting them clipped next week. I wish I could let him fly but I think its to dangerous with cats in the house. when I move out he can :) but I might ask for a light clip so he can fly a very short distance. like I said before ill let you know how it goes :)

JadeC
08-13-2013, 04:38 AM
I have a cat also, but I let Meiko fly. Haha Maybe I shouldn't but my cat is pretty well trained. He can do all sorts of tricks and he listens to me most of the time. I know bird and cat are both unpredictable but I take my chances. Not saying you should though!! Haha

mrgoogls
08-13-2013, 04:43 AM
yeah my cats aren't very well trained. so I don't take the chance. I wouldn't mind if it was just my two dogs , but the cats make me nervous haha

ShellyBorg
08-13-2013, 06:31 AM
A flighted bird has a better chance then a non flighted parrot when it comes to cats. If the cat is a worry at all then they should never be in the same room at the same time.

mrgoogls
08-13-2013, 06:36 AM
they usually aren't in the same room. but I just don't want him flying to the ground. since he cant fly he usually doesn't jump off of his playgyms. anyways, this is off topic a little bit.

mrgoogls
08-13-2013, 08:26 PM
okay we did some flapping this morning. he got panting really fast! we are in this for the long run :D

Blancaej
08-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Nice job!