PDA

View Full Version : Salsa: he thinks he's a Hyacinth Macaw now!

PlaxMacaws
08-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Salsa has begun to imitate Zaffer's deep and raspy wails. He has engaged in two sessions of this since yesterday. Prior to the first time I caught him doing it yesterday afternoon, I honestly thought it was Zaf sounding off! Then this morning they were going off together (Zaf sterted it), which I found amazing and funny - it was like Hy yells in stereo! I'm unsure how many of you are familiar with what a Hy scream sounds like, but it's quite different from that of a GW or any other large Macaw. It's much deeper and has a raspy growl tone to it. Obviously Salsa thinks it's pretty cool :th_biggrin:

Honesty
08-12-2013, 10:18 PM
:th_hehe: Thats pretty funny. You will have to try and record it :)

Blancaej
08-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Very cool! We would love to hear the real and Memorex version! Lol!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

plax
08-12-2013, 10:42 PM
I'll see what I can do. But he only does it once in a while and I'll of course have to have the camera ready while it's happening. That may present a problem, since trying to capture a particular thing Salsa does or says can be quite challenging - it's far easier to simply capture his randomness. I'll do my best, though.

Pinkbirdy
08-13-2013, 12:59 AM
My Macaw and Grey imitate Pearl [the Goffin] .I think their mocking poor Pearl :)

Turquoise
08-13-2013, 03:37 AM
Yes, I want to hear this scream! I have never gotten the pleasure of evenseeing a Hy in a zoo. I want to know what I'm missing out on. :th_biggrin:

Ruby Jewel's screams are only slightly different from Roscoe and Angel's. She does have axbit more gravely sound to it, but not enough to be impressive. Although like any good Mother I can usually tell my kids screams apart.:th_LOL: What is really funny is to hear Leyla Belle, my ekkie try to immitate the macaws in screaming mode.

plax
08-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Yes, I want to hear this scream! I have never gotten the pleasure of evenseeing a Hy in a zoo. I want to know what I'm missing out on. :th_biggrin:Okay, I caught a little bit of him doing it at the end of a string of another scream type he does. I'll upload it... but i really wanted to catch him doing it better and preferably doing it along with Zaf so you could hear and see how he's deliberately mimicking Zaf. It's quite humorous when they're doing it together... Zaf starts hollering and Sals joins right in imitating him ;). This will have to do for now, though. I'll post it here when it's done transferring.

plax
08-13-2013, 06:34 AM
So here's that video clip. He start's with a string of human yells and then about 19 seconds into the clip he graduates to a Hyacinth style yell. His Hy yells on this clip aren't quite as good as the ones he did when he was harmonizing with Zaf - those were lower in tone and more raspy. But you'll notice that he's enjoying his mimicry skills by the way he's pivoting his head from side to side toward the end of the clip.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Turquoise
08-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Kinda a funny mournful sound like a macaw who feels there is no one left who cares about him. Sort of like a mournful howl from a lonely lost dog.

I'm on my phone so it isn't very loud,. I'd guess it is much louder in person tho.:th_hehe:

jacksmom
08-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Lol, very smart bird! :)

I sometimes believe that Paris, my female B and G, imitates the African Greys she used to live with. I also suspect they kept guinea pigs, lol, she is a dead ringer for the happy guinea "chirp". It is not like a natural macaw moan, like that...Jack sounds like that, or close...so I am torn between it is a grey imitation, or sometimes I think someone imitated her "macaw moan" back to her...sounds like she is SAYING "raaaaaaaaak" if you get my meaning. It has been extra funny lately, because she can also put a warning note in it and start off low...rrrraaaaaaa...this means "you are in danger from something you are messing with, or you are trying to leave my sight, which would be dangerous for you also". If you cease your dangerous behavior she will be quiet, or perhaps start talking - but if you continue she will go into full fledged ticked off macaw shrieking - very macaw-like, lol - and then she alarms even the loudmouth Jack. ;)

Debra
08-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Salsa is just great! I loved the video. He did seem quite proud of himself.

plax
08-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Kinda a funny mournful sound like a macaw who feels there is no one left who cares about him. Sort of like a mournful howl from a lonely lost dog.

I'm on my phone so it isn't very loud,. I'd guess it is much louder in person tho.:th_hehe:Yes, slightly louder, I'm sure ;)

So De'Andrea, you mentioned that you were interested in the particular Hy yell which Sals has begun to imitate. Well, within the clip embedded below Zaf starts doing that very yell and it's easy to see how Salsa begins paying attention to it. And I agree that it might be well characterized as a "mournful howl", albeit a raspy or gravely one. (BTW, you've already seen this clip because you commented on it in its original thread.)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Pinkbirdy
08-13-2013, 09:42 PM
I like Zaf dancing in the background :) That's too funny them yelling then saying "Loud"!!!

JadeC
08-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Oh my goodness... I can barely tolerate my little caique's screams when he's being loud!! Jeez, I don't know what I'd do if I had a macaw!! Haha I'm sure I would get used to it, but that is LOUD!!!!!! My dad REALLY wants a macaw, so maybe one day. :) I love me some cockatoos though, and those guys are super loud, too!!!

coltfire
08-19-2013, 04:24 AM
the macaws are very loud, but try 4 to 6 eckkies and a couple lorries in the house.

Debra
08-19-2013, 12:19 PM
I couldn't handle more than one ekkie! And mine is quiet usually, but when she does let loose -- wow!