PDA

View Full Version : Sweet smell

josiesmom
08-11-2013, 10:30 PM
If this was already a topic of discussion, I'm sorry.

Lately, Josie's smell is so strong. It's not a bad smell (I actually can't get enough of it). It's a very sweet nice smell but the rest if the family doesn't really notice it. I know it's her because when I hold her, that's all I can smell. I've been collecting feathers (for the photo contest) and put them in a vase in my room and now my bedroom smells like her as well. Does anyone else really love the smell of their macaw also? I know, it's weird but I have an unbelievable sense of smell.

Honesty
08-11-2013, 10:40 PM
I am not familiar with the smell of a Macaw, but Codie has a very unique smell about him. Some people describe it s a musty smell, but I would say its more of a sweet smell:)

Blancaej
08-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Its like a sweet woodsy smell. Hard to describe. It has grown on me and I like it, too! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Turquoise
08-11-2013, 10:56 PM
I know exactly what you mean about the macaw smell Anita. Mine have it too, hard indeed to describe in a way & some folks mainly who are not parrot people think I'm crazy. They just say, "You mean dirty bird smell?" Nope, not an offensive smell at all. I find it very pleasing and comforting in a way. :th_biggrin:

Since I have several different species and have had Amazons in years past, I think every species has its own degree of the same smell. I've often wondered like you about it. All I can figure out is it may have something to do with the varied diets each one eats.

ShellyBorg
08-11-2013, 11:09 PM
I have a theory about humans and what smells good. I think what we love/bond with, smells good to us. Nothing smells better to a horse person the a horse, just like a dog person loves the smell of dog. A example (kind of personal but it works) is that long ago I loved the smell of my now ex husband, now I can't stand the smell of him and I wash the kids clothes as soon as they come home from his house. With my birds Demon has bonded the closest to me and I do like his smell over Danny, and Spirit who I have had for a long time is a very comfortable smell. Now I hike with goats and love the smell of them, where others have looks of horror just thinking about sniffing them.

plax
08-11-2013, 11:16 PM
I love the smell of Macaws... that is, when they're dry. I don't mind the smell of wet feathers, but it's not what I would call a desirable aroma. When their feathers are dry they emit a very pleasant, sweet-ish fragrance I think. At least that's what I detect. I sometimes bury my nose in the feathers behind the heads of each of mine to savor that fragrance for a while. And each bird seems to smell a bit different. It could be a species-specific thing or perhaps an individual bird thing, I'm unsure which. I guess we'll have to ask someone with at least two of the same species to learn the answer.

kendrafitz
08-11-2013, 11:48 PM
I have heard people refer to blue and golds as smelling like fruit loops. Which sounds so awesome and sweet!

Rosie has her own smell, which I love but that is only b/c it is her smell. For me, it's similar to the way I love the way my kids smelled when they were babies. It makes me happy b/c it is hers. I don't know if I would go searching out for the smell if it wasn't hers. :) It certainly isn't fruit loopy!

I have noticed that the young Hy's that I have held have a baby powdery smell, which I absolutely adore!!! Every time I hold a cuddly hy, I cuddle and smell of the back of their necks - doesn't hurt that their feathers are so soft! :)

Maddy
08-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Blue and gold macaws smell the BEST! :th_biggrin: