PDA

View Full Version : Got A New Little Feathered Friend

Carefree Birdee
08-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Hello everybody.....I have not been around for a long time! With being newly retired we have been taking a lot of summer road trips while the weather is nice.

But I am a bird owner once again! Even though I am not 'officially' a Parrot owner yet I hope my new little friend still counts.

:smiley-bird-emotico

I had a friend who had one last Zebra finch and wanted to rehome him. She knew I was going to be getting back into birds again and asked (begged) if I would take him. How could I say no! This little Zebra male is cute as a button! :th_heart: He talks up a storm and is partially hand tame. He will sit on my finger and seems to like my shoulder the best. He will grind his beak just like the big Parrots when he is sitting on my shoulder.

I suppose I am the ONLY one on this forum that owns a finch and not a parrot? Oh well...I am starting small....really small! :D

Here is a picture of my little guy. I have not named him yet...still thinking of what to call him.

Oh and I am also posting a photo of a pretty little ceramic plaque that my Sister gave me. I will have to find a special place in my bird room to hang it.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
08-11-2013, 02:29 AM
Welcome Carrie to you and your little new finch! He is adorable. All bird owners are welcome here, doesn't have to be a parrot! :th_biggrin: Sometimes it's good to start small. I'm sure he will have lots of personality in a small package! That plaque is beautiful! Can't wait to find out what you decide to name your new finch! :th_welcome2:

Turquoise
08-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Awesome Carrie!! I love finches even tho I don't 'currently' own any. (Have thought about getting a pair again) He looks so cute on your finger. Will you be getting him a mate? I know finches are happiest when they are paired or at least back when I had them that was the advice I got from the breeder who raised them in my hometown. I love your plaque your sister gave you. It is beautiful and so colorful!!:th_heart:

I had 2 pair of them way back in the early '80s. One was the normal Zebra finch & one pair was the white Zebra finches. I adored the cute sounds they made. After they were gone I didn't get anymore. I had larger parrots by then & just went with that instead.

Honesty
08-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Congrats Carrie. He is adorable:)

I love the ceramic plaque your Sister has given you:)

Debra
08-11-2013, 01:00 PM
This makes me miss my finches. I love their sound. I, too, can't wait to see what you name him.

spiritbird
08-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Carrie I am so glad you posted the photo. What an adorable bird.

coltfire
08-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Carrie he is so cute, love how he is just sitting on your finger , now like the rest we will just have to wait to find out what you have named him.

Carefree Birdee
08-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks everybody. I do plan to find him a friend. He is such a little package of joy! He comes to the front of the cage when I am around. He really enjoys the shredded broccoli and carrots I offer him as well as his bath time. I think he is getting spoiled already.....

It is fun to have him tame enough to sit on my shoulder. He sure poops a lot tho! But my shoulder diaper takes care of that. At least they are small poops. Bet none of you big Parrot owners can say that! Neener....Neener :th_hehe:

I decided to name him "Romeo" since he is so friendly and cuddles up to my neck. :couple_inlove:

Turquoise
08-12-2013, 11:20 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] a great choice for a name. And I bet Romeo will show you just how much he lives up to that name if you get him a little sweety to snuggle up to. I wonder if he will still want to sit on your finger or will give you up like some parrots do when they choose a spouse? I got mine as pairs already & they were not friendly, so I don't have any experience with whether they stay that way.

Yep, you got that right! My big kids could fill a shoulder diaper up pretty fast. :th_LOL: One reason I keep mine on my arm & point their fannies away from me. :th_laughing6:

coltfire
08-12-2013, 01:54 PM
i like the name, so when do you get his Juliet. as for poop i just keep an eye on those tail feathers if they go up the bird gets off:th_hehe: and most times im quick enough

Debra
08-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Out of 13 birds, only one has any interest in the shoulder. That's a tiel so poops aren't that bad.

plax
08-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Romeo looks as if he's wearing clown makeup ;). He's a cutie! My family had both Finches and Budgies when I was growing up and I enjoyed them all :)

jacksmom
08-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Aw, I love finches. :) I used to have a group of society finches when I was maybe 13...the woman who gave them to me was trying to breed them unsuccessfully...in three months they were dropping eggs on the bottom of the cage after I got them. I eventually traded them to a pet store for two female parakeets, lol - three finches had become nine!

But I got ya on the poop thing - my birds are potty trained. ;) Neener neener yourself! :cool:

Though I am new here, I vote your non-parrot should be given honorary parrot status and allowed to hang with the big birds. :)

Thanks for the pics! :)

Carefree Birdee
08-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Yes...Finches are lots of fun even if they are small. I have had some in the past. No potty training those guys tho. I don't know which is worse.....huge parrot poops less often or little finch poops every few seconds. Let a few finches loose in a room and they can 'spackle' your walls in no time. lol

I am sure Romeo would love to hang with the big guys as long as they don't eye him as fast food. :nightmare:

I am looking around for another male buddy for him. I don't want to get a female and have to worry about egg laying right now. Those silly Zebras are too darn prolific.

Mare
08-15-2013, 02:10 AM
Romeo is very handsome! Finches were always high on my list of 'next bird', their little tweets are so sweet then a cockatiel landed in my lap so, finches will be back on the list, for awhile! I'm happy to hear he's doing so well with you:).

jacksmom
08-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Oh yeah, I am remembering the tiny little BB size poops from the finches, thinking GOSH yeah, at least that doesn't come with a quarter cup of liquid! (Exaggerating of course, but not that much, lol!)

Really look forward to hearing about and seeing pics of his upcoming friend! :)