PDA

View Full Version : Cage Bar Spacing Recommendations.

Honesty
08-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Small Birds
Finches, Canaries, Parrotlets, Parakeets, Lovebirds, Budgies, Cockatiels, Small Conures, & similar sized birds No More Than 5/8" (1.6 cm or 16 mm)

Medium Birds
Conures, Lories, Senegals, Ring Necks, Caiques, Mini Macaws, Pionus, Quakers, Small Cockatoos, & similar sized birds 1/2" to 3/4" (1.3cm or 13 mm to 1.9cm or 19mm)

Large Birds
African Greys, Amazons, Macaws, Cockatoos, Toucans, Hyacinth, Alexandrine Parakeets, Congos, Eclectus, & similar sized birds 3/4" to 1-1/4" (1.9cm or 19mm to 2.5 cm or 25 mm - 3.1cm or 31mm)

Turquoise
08-11-2013, 07:37 AM
This is a great thread Wendy!

I have seen posts in the past asking about the proper bar spacing. This will be a good guide to make sure they are getting the proper cage for their feathered friend. :th_biggrin:

Honesty
08-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Yes, I have seen this question asked many times, so thought it would e a good idea to post it here:)

Debra
08-11-2013, 12:58 PM
I once got a tiel with a cage that had to big spacing for such a small bird. In fact, Lucy is now in that cage! I couldn't wait to get him in a cage with more appropriate size spacing.

nick
08-01-2015, 04:05 PM
hello guys
im new to parrots but im not sure on what you mean by bar spacing of cages if anyone could pls help clarify
thanks

Mr Peepers
08-01-2015, 06:07 PM
hello guys
im new to parrots but im not sure on what you mean by bar spacing of cages if anyone could pls help clarify
thanks

The size of the bird has to determine the size of the spacing of the bars in every cage.

A small bird like a finch/budgie/canary will be safe if its in a cage with bars that are spaced 1/2 inch apart or 3/8's apart like in the photo below.

This is to assure the bird won't get its head/feet/body stuck between the bars of the cage when it climbs the bars.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] 8c3c11be0cf37a/l/3-8-bar-spacing-square-top-small-bird-cage-color-black

This cage is larger and has larger bar spacing 3/4 inch.

This size of bar spacing is good for larger parrots like a macaw or african grey or cockatoo as they need a larger spacing for their beaks and feet to fit as they climb their cages all the time.

This 3/4 inch size of bar spacing would be very bad for a small bird like a budgie or finch or canary, as any small bird might try to squeeze through the bars which could harm or kill the little bird.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mr Peepers
08-01-2015, 06:12 PM
When buying a cage for a bird, the rule is buy the biggest cage you can.

When it comes to housing a bird size is very very important as they will be living in the cage to sleep all night and for many hours during the day depending on your life style should you work or go to school.

The cage I showed you in the post above with 1/2 inch spacing or smaller for small birds is a horrible cage. I don't recommend this type of cage for finches canaries budgies etc.

Birds need to fly and exercise so a larger flight cage gives them this option which gives them exercise and helps keep the bird healthy and mentally happy.

So start putting your money aside, if you are hoping to get an african grey you will need a very large and strong cage to home such a strong larger bird. :th_smile:

nick
08-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Thx Mr peppers I sort of understood ur point

Lady
06-26-2016, 12:53 AM
So if 3/4 is larger than 5/8 would it be safe to get a cage for Lady that is 5/8?

The Pinkertons
06-26-2016, 03:35 AM
Unless she has a tendency to snap welds...I don't see why not

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-26-2016, 09:04 AM
A cage with a mix of horizontal and vertical bars is a good idea, Casper likes to climb the horizontals and slide head-first down the upright bars.

Lady
06-29-2016, 12:51 AM
Yes it does have both but it's the spacing size that concerns me. I sure wouldn't want any of her body parts getting stuck when she climbs about!

Lady
06-29-2016, 12:53 AM
Unless she has a tendency to snap welds...I don't see why not

The Pinkertons
06-29-2016, 01:24 AM

Lady
12-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Santa,
Lady had been a very good girl this year. If you can, will you consider bringing her this new cage for Christmas!

Quakerella
12-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Very nice, I do hope Santa grants Lady her wish.:pinkgrin:

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-11-2016, 09:26 PM
I hope it doesn't get stuck in the chimney :)
I like the gymnast type hi/lo bars on the top, good for the birdy Olympics.

Dragonlady2
12-11-2016, 09:46 PM
I am guessing Lady was a good girl this year? I am sure she will be very happy in her new digs.

Mare
12-12-2016, 02:20 AM
Nice cage! I'm sure Lady will LOVE it! :)

kendrafitz
12-14-2016, 12:19 AM
What a lucky girl Lady is!!! She is going to be so happy Xmas morning! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady
12-15-2016, 12:51 AM
Oh good, I was hoping I didn't ask too much of Santa. I hope Rudolph can work his magic and pull it all the way from the workshop! As far as the chimney, well Jean-Pierre. we plan on asking for one of those next year!

JonShehu
04-04-2018, 03:47 PM
Hello, I am a soon-to-be new Parrot owner and glad to join this site.
I am concerned regarding the bar spacing of the cage i intend to order. It's bar-spacing is 5/8", which is not appropriate for the Sulphur-crested cockatoo i am going to get. However, if i only put in half of the bars, then the bar-spacing is 1.25", which is in the 3/4" - 1.5" area for acceptable bar spacings pertaining to large cockatoos. I was wondering is this is okay, and does not pose any potential threat to my bird. The cage in question is: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] I would prefer that we fix the issue rather than purchase a new cage because I couldnt find a cage that served the same functions in the same price. Ive heard horrific stories of innapropriate bar spacings trapping their feet, wings, and other body parts; prompting the birds to suffer a heart attack or broken bones as they vigorously and panickingly attempt to free themselves.
Thank you.

Dragonlady2
04-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Cockatoos are known for their ability to get out of their cages, squeezing bars etc. If your bird is going to spend a lot of time in the cage you may need to look into a stainless steel cage. I think the top opening may prove to be a problem. Potential for pinching toes. Bar spacing appears to be fine. When are you getting your cockatoo?

Lady
04-07-2018, 12:51 AM
Hi Jon,

Welcome to P. P.! We're glad you joined us :th_smile:. How cool you chose a cockatoo? Congratulations!! What made you decide on that specific species? I look forward to hearing all about him/her. Do you have a name for him or her?
I would trust Draagonlady's answer she is very knowledgeable.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Hi Jon and welcome
As Dragonlady Helena has recommended, if you do get that lovely cage, remove the catch from the top opening. Casper caught his foot in the one on his cage.
Fortunately we were close by and were able to rescue him.
Please post pics when your new bird has settled in :)

MrsKahle6868
12-18-2018, 04:04 PM
This post has saved me from so much frustration while cage shopping. I've been searching for a cage for a quaker but have found a lot of conflicting information about cage spacing on the internet. Most cages that are big enough (bigger the better) for a quaker have bar spacing of 1/2in or mixed spacing with 1/4 - 1/2 on the same cage. I'm so glad that is okay for a quaker because I would hate to put him/her into a cage that isn't safe. Thank you.

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Caspers cage came equipped with some very feeble typist's chair type castors that did not stand up to being dragged around the paths outside our house. When they were beyond repair I bought some very nice castors meant for hospital beds. The fixing bolts were a size larger which was good because the threads had failed in the cage legs so I just drilled and tapped to the larger size. Just saying in case you plan to go "off-roading" :)

mechenic
07-15-2019, 03:51 AM
The size of the bird has to determine the size of the spacing of the bars in every cage.

A small bird like a finch/budgie/canary will be safe if its in a cage with bars that are spaced 1/2 inch apart or 3/8's apart like in the photo below.

This is to assure the bird won't get its head/feet/body stuck between the bars of the cage when it climbs the bars.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] 8c3c11be0cf37a/l/3-8-bar-spacing-square-top-small-bird-cage-color-black

This cage is larger and has larger bar spacing 3/4 inch.

This size of bar spacing is good for larger parrots like a macaw or african grey or cockatoo as they need a larger spacing for their beaks and feet to fit as they climb their cages all the time.

This 3/4 inch size of bar spacing would be very bad for a small bird like a budgie or finch or canary, as any small bird might try to squeeze through the bars which could harm or kill the little bird.

Yeah you'r right The size of the bird has to determine the size of the spacing of the bars in every cage.