PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting Bird facts :)

Honesty
08-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Here are some interesting Bird facts for you!

The only species of parrot that builds a nest is the Quaker Parrot. The Quakers link their nests together to form structures akin to "bird
condominiums". These nests can reach weights greater than 200 lbs.[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

At any given time, there are anywhere between one and two billion living birds on the planet. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

The oldest living bird on record is a Blue and Gold Macaw named Charlie. Charlie is reported to have been owned by Winston Churchill and is believed to be 104 years old. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

The most common bird on the planet is the Chicken. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
The most yolks ever found in a single chicken's egg is nine.

There are over 40 million pet birds living in the U.S. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

A bird's feathers weigh more than its skeleton does.

Birds have a reduced sense of taste as compared to other animals, and science has yet to definitively prove that all bird species have a sense of smell.

Some parrot species must fly over 500 miles a day in the wild to forage for food. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

A bird's heart beats 400 times per minute while they are at rest. When they are flying however, their heart could beat up to 1000 beats per minute. :th_heart:

Cher Ami was the name of a famous homing pigeon during World War I. The bird lost an eye and a leg while delivering a message during the war and was given the Distinguished Service Cross. Believe it or not, the bird's leg was replaced by a wooden one.

A poisonous bird is " The Hooded Pitohui," which is a resident of Papua, New Guinea. You can find the poison in its feathers and in its skin.

Pigeons can fly as fast as 100 miles per hour. Falcons can swoop at over 200 mph.

The now extinct Elephant Bird of Madagascar laid an egg that weighed 27 pounds.

The Albatross has a wing span of up to 14 feet and only needs to land once every couple of years to breed. They can travel hundreds of thousands of miles each flight. An albatross can sleep while it flies. It apparently dozes while cruising at 25 mph

Mum and Dad puffins rub their beaks together to show affection - this is called ‘billing’. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] Puffins can stand on their tippy toes.

Emus run after rain clouds, hoping for water.

Debra
08-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Interesting! I didn't know much of those.

Mare
08-09-2013, 11:46 PM
The nine yolks in one egg, is astounding! Thanks Wendy, I also didn't know much of this!

Pinkbirdy
08-09-2013, 11:54 PM
I Love bird facts !!! Bring us more :)

ShellyBorg
08-10-2013, 12:02 AM
These are great!

coltfire
08-10-2013, 05:06 AM
love them a few i knew but most i did not, very interesting facts

plax
08-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Fact adjustment time, perhaps?

At any given time, there are anywhere between one and two billion living birds on the planet.I believe that's quite a ways off. There are far more birds than humans on Earth. The human population is currently approaching 7.2 billion. There should currently be 200 to 400 billion birds alive on this planet.

Birds have a reduced sense of taste as compared to other animals, and science has yet to definitively prove that all bird species have a sense of smell.Well, mine sure have no problems tasting things. They claim that because birds have far fewer taste buds than we humans do, their sense of taste is relatively faint. I personally consider that flawed logic. It's similar to saying that if one of my small nerves gets pricked with a pin point, it's going to hurt less because it's a single nerve. My guess is that it's not the number of taste buds one possesses, but more accurately how those taste buds are wired to the brain. That's only my opinion... but I bet I'm correct ;)

A bird's heart beats 400 times per minute while they are at rest. When they are flying however, their heart could beat up to 1000 beats per minute. :th_heart:It really depends on the species, and certainly on the size of the bird. I believe an average large Macaw heart rate is 275 at rest.

Pigeons can fly as fast as 100 miles per hour.Not sure about that. A bit of research shows that the highest speed ever clocked for a pigeon is 59 MPH (or 58.7 MPH to be exact).

The Albatross has a wing span of up to 14 feet and only needs to land once every couple of years to breed.While the Albatross may not return to land for several years, I think it does set down on the water surface fairly often during that time - it's a true sea bird.

Obviously I don't believe everything I read :th_biggrin:

Turquoise
08-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Well truth or not those are quite interesting to read. :th_biggrin:

Honesty
08-10-2013, 07:04 AM
All of these are supposed to be true facts which are found on different sites.

Honesty
08-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Not sure about that. A bit of research shows that the highest speed ever clocked for a pigeon is 59 MPH (or 58.7 MPH to be exact).
The fastest recorded speed of a racing pigeon is 110 mph.
In 1965 a pigeon belonging to A Vidgeon & Son of Wickford flying in a race from Croydon covered the 40 odd miles at a velocity of 3229 yards per minute.

It really depends on the species, and certainly on the size of the bird. I believe an average large Macaw heart rate is 275 at rest.
Yes, it does depend on the species, although it does state that the average birds heart beats at 400 times per min when at rest.:)

plax
08-10-2013, 03:15 PM
The fastest recorded speed of a racing pigeon is 110 mph.
In 1965 a pigeon belonging to A Vidgeon & Son of Wickford flying in a race from Croydon covered the 40 odd miles at a velocity of 3229 yards per minute.Yes, you'll find plenty of claims on the Internet. Here's one example of what I find to be the common report on pigeon top speed:

Their average flying speed over moderate distances (about 800 km [500 mi]) is around 80 km/h (50 mph), but speeds of up to 58.7 mph (94.5 km/h) have been observed in top racers for short distances (160 km [99 mi])

That's from: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
08-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Yes, you'll find plenty of claims on the Internet. Here's one example of what I find to be the common report on pigeon top speed:

That's from: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] unfortunately with the internet, there are so many conflicting stories. Every site reports different speeds.
This one says a pigeon has been clocked doing 92.5 mph.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
08-10-2013, 05:02 PM
That was so interesting Wendy! Thanks for sharing all those cool facts!

Honesty
08-10-2013, 05:49 PM
That was so interesting Wendy! Thanks for sharing all those cool facts!Your welcome Blanca :)

plax
08-10-2013, 06:41 PM
I didn't mean to come off as negative or challenging, Wendy. I guess I did just that though. Sadly, the Internet is packed full of conflicting "facts". I usually try to stick to dependable and, when possible, scientific sources :(. But in the end, there's usually no way to prove any of it with absolute certainty.

Honesty
08-10-2013, 07:25 PM
I didn't mean to come off as negative or challenging, Wendy. I guess I did just that though. Sadly, the Internet is packed full of conflicting "facts". I usually try to stick to dependable and, when possible, scientific sources :(. But in the end, there's usually no way to prove any of it with absolute certainty.I didn't take it as negative or challenging :) I always tend to stick to sites that are dependable.
You are right in what you say, there is no way of proving if anything we read on the internet is in fact 100% correct :(