PDA

View Full Version : fishing

PlaxMacaws
08-09-2013, 01:31 AM
How many of you have Macaws who persist to reach down through their cage grates to grab whatever they're able to snag onto and then pull it up to play with, destroy, or in some cases, even eat (barf!)? I have two who love to do this: Zaf and Jack. It's a good 8 inches to the tray bottoms but when they get the hankerin' they'll go fishing and pull nearly anything up that's down there. Neither Sals nor Maynard ever do this, thankfully.

Blancaej
08-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Can't say either of my birdie buddies do that. I have one word for that...thankful! LOL!

coltfire
08-09-2013, 04:18 AM
i dont have macaws, but Aggy & Jerry do that, and if they get hold of the news paper well what a mess

plax
08-09-2013, 05:30 AM
i dont have macaws, but Aggy & Jerry do that, and if they get hold of the news paper well what a messYou can say that again!

Pinkbirdy
08-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Im amazed what Harlow can reach .Shes unplugged the radio and undid the blind cord [and got it wrapped around her foot]. I thought she was far enough from those things [big lesson for me !!] ;)

coltfire
08-09-2013, 02:30 PM
its like when they really want some thing there legs grow just enough to cause trouble, :th_hehe:

Debra
08-09-2013, 02:34 PM
I have to say none of mine do this. If this thought ever occurred to any of mine, it would be Lucy and she would be grabbing for the paper to pull through the bars to make a nest. lol

Mare
08-09-2013, 06:03 PM
The Sassy Goffin's girl does this, she loves the newspaper and sometimes a goody :). Amigo has demolished a curtain or two when I thought FOR SURE his cage was far enough away!

plax
08-09-2013, 06:12 PM
I always find it amazing how far they're able to reach beyond the bars (whether through the floor grate or through the side panels) with those short stubby legs they have. Their toes and claws truly give them a considerable amount of extra length - Zaffer has the longest parrot toes I've ever seen and he certainly uses their length to his advantage!

Turquoise
08-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Since my macaws are in walk in enclosures, mine can get to the floor anytime they want. Roscoe rarely ever goes to the floor unless he is mad about something & wants to tear up the paper in a fit of tantrum throwing. He will literally look to see if I am paying attention. If it doesn't move me to yell or come running, he will take a piece of ripped paper to one of his limb perches & chew on it til he tires of it. That usually is the end to his tirades and he is back to his impish, but sweet self.

Angel of course can't get down to the floor unless he falls which rarely happens anymore. So his paper & floor is quite safe from destructive big beaks.

Ruby Jewel is my floor walker. When she can't wait for me to take her out she is down there pacing back & forth in front of the door. She will do this until I get her out no matter how long it takes. She used to not play with her paper any, but recently it has been moved around & partly torn up at times. I started hiding to watch, if she sees me she will just pace the door. I found when she is in her 'play in her home' mode she will go down to the floor & carry the sheets of paper around. She doesn't tear it up, just picks it up & carries it to another spot. Maybe in her mind she is rearranging her furniture. Typical female, has to change her room around sometimes.:th_LOL:

Now when it comes to sticking his drumsticks out through the bars & grabbing at things, Roscoe has that sewn up!! He can reach farther than any bird I have ever seen in my life. I don't think an eagle would have a better reaching span as he does. LOL He has successfully torn up more shower curtains hanging around his enclosure at night than I can count. Even now the ones he has on it for night time has holes in several places & it is 1 1/2ft away from the walls of his home!! He manages the feat by flapping his wings to make it float inward, then he grabs it.:th_faint: I have photos of the earlier curtain damage and I should get some of the new damage as well & post up on here. He used to grab Angel's legs through the panel dividing their homes until I got tired of listening to all the ruckus & put a wider space between them. Finally he can no longer reach his brother & torment him.