PDA

View Full Version : I need to stay off CL

ShellyBorg
08-08-2013, 12:21 AM
I was poking around CL today, as always looking for a macaw and found this.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

The cage is way to small, I am sure they want way to much. Darn truck is still sucking my bank account dry. Yet the "sucker" gene kicked in and I sent a email to find out about them....

$2300, 7 and 8 years old, have never been to the vet on seed diet. Even if I had the money I could spend a little more and get babies! Ugg...

The more I think about it, and the more I see adult macaws sold at baby prices, the more I think I may just save up and buy from a breeder. I know I really want a Green Wing...but I love to rescue. I don't know...

Mare
08-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Ohh, I'm so sorry that didn't work out with Max. I'll continue to keep an eye open for you!

ShellyBorg
08-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Its OK Mare, I really appreciate it. My time will come. I really need the time right now to work with my newer two. I am flight training Demon and Danny is working on getting more confidence and harness training. When his flights grow back in he will be flight trained also.
My issue is I have no patience! LOL For over 25 years I have wanted a Mac , another year or two will not kill me. :)

Pinkbirdy
08-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Of course their beautiful :) Doesn't hurt to try. I would think the owners would want someone with experience[being the most important thing] than getting top dollar . I hate my Craigslists ads ,where they want what they paid for the bird [and more for the cage] .Also its most likely an older bird {Im always tempted to tell them what I think] IMO I think A bigger bird with cage should be 400

Blancaej
08-08-2013, 02:14 AM
I do think the price is way too high as well! Shelly, your macaw will come home one day! I'm sure of it!

Turquoise
08-08-2013, 03:17 AM
I hate to look on CL also. I was browsing the other night & found a 14 yr old female Green Wing for sale in the Dallas area. That is at least 200 miles east of me. The price was very good at $600.00 without cage & $900.00 with her large King's macaw cage.

The lady selling her posted she was not in a hurry to sell & would be a bit picky. I say that is a caring owner who wants the best for her bird. Of course Idon't need another large macaw right now. And I have too much remodeling I have to devote funds to , so I have to pine over a GW I can't get.

JadeC
08-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Why not message them and ask them for a cheaper price? I mean, Craigslist is all about negotiating, right? I buy stuff on there all the time, granted its not live animals, but I always bargain!!

spiritbird
08-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Good thing you live in CA because there are more and more Macaws here for sale or trade both on CL and e bay. I am guessing these people do not understand the complex care needs of Macaws.

Rescued
08-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Even if you don't get a great "deal" on an adult macaw, adopting a re home is certainly a great way to go. A lot of these guys have high price tags, but occasionally someone will have a reasonable price. My red front is a CL bird that was for sale with no cage for $700, I talked via phone and email and then went to visit. I told her that I didn't have much money and she actually ended up giving me Jax because she wanted him to go to a great home. She actually contacted me recently asking if I would consider taking another of her birds. I had to decline, but she has been a good bird owner and I was able to find someone else to take her other guy. I have to say most CL ads don't turn out like that, but I have a fee new bird friends from CL. Good luck on you macaw search.