PDA

View Full Version : Plax

spiritbird
08-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I found out what my problem was with the sizing of signatures. In Photoshop elements 11 I saved the completed siggy on the most common file JPEG. When using this format to save photos the image is compressed and comes out smaller than you actually set it for. I learned this from my Dummy book on PSE (photo......) This got me wondering what file formats are supported here on the forum for uploading photos? I know JPEG is the most common and used by many people. This new signature began as 500 X 250 and was reduced a bit.

plax
08-07-2013, 11:18 PM
I found out what my problem was with the sizing of signatures. In Photoshop elements 11 I saved the completed siggy on the most common file JPEG. When using this format to save photos the image is compressed and comes out smaller than you actually set it for. I learned this from my Dummy book on PSE (photo......) This got me wondering what file formats are supported here on the forum for uploading photos? I know JPEG is the most common and used by many people. This new signature began as 500 X 250 and was reduced a bit.Hey, that's a very nice signature image of Gypsy and Chipper :).

IMO, the best file format to use is png since it's known for rendering sharper colors and because it will facilitate transparency within an image, whereas the jpg format will not. For example, my signature of Salsa spreading his wings below is a png image. It does not have a background. That means that whatever the color and/or patten happens to be behind it, Salsa will be seen against that background. If I had created it as a jpg image, it would possess a background which would cover whatever were behind it. If that background were pure white, it would blend in nicely with the post background and appear to be a transparent background... but when it were viewed against a colored background it would appear as a white rectangular box around Salsa. That's one of the main reasons I like png images better than jpg images.

Whichever file format you use, the best thing to do is check your image size after it's been saved. If it's not correct then adjust it to the desired size. Then, as well, check the uploaded copy's size once it's been transferred.

spiritbird
08-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks Tony. I will try the png format. I have been busy making many signatures to experiment with photoshop and the best way to operate. Appreciate the good feedback on the latest one.